Comanche National Grasslands

I have hunted it maybe twice, done more just driving around and looking. It is a widely scattered bunch of properties. Getting a Forest Service map of it is a big help. There is a northern section which straddles Highway 350, and a southern section way down by Highway 160 in the corner of the state.

Much of it is open prairie, but there are some more interesting places along Timpas Creek along 350 and some bluffs and canyons here and there.

Long drive from up my way, but lots of solitude and wide open spaces. If gas was cheaper, my pay was higher, and my truck wasn't ready to collapse in a heap any minute, I'd be out there more often.

Quote:
Just curious if anybody has hunted here, Might make a trip down there. Any info would be great appreciated, Thank you

"Burned Out" grasslands would be a better name. Only public land down that way so every swing-in pee pee is down there with a lunch pail and a tank full of gas. A good example of this sports explosion down side. A great place to hunt in the early 90's though about 98. Last time I tried to make a set down there I thought the power lines were singing overhead. Turns out it was a caller screaming his lungs out from a mile off. The grassland above Denver are even WORSE if you can grasp that.

Neat.

Lots of private ranches with lots of dogs. Do some door banging and you will have better luck.

I cant imagine that those grasslands even get called half as much as Pawnee. I would also venture to say there may be more cover. Its really nice that the gov lets ranchers graze the grasslands into the ground. Pretty sad when ground cactus are taller than the grass.....makes hiding a pain LOL

My son and I were just there yesterday. the 16th. Saw a few tracks, old ones in the snow. We made a few sets but called in nothing. Ive been there 3 times this year and nothing. Havent seen another hunter or coyotes. Everyone says the big snow at the begining of the year killed alot of the wildlife in that area. For my part Im not going back any tine soon. Hope this helps, but mabe you have better luck than I do. By the way we were south of LaJunta,Co.

I heard the same thing about that snow storm. I heard the wildlife congregated in the only places they could find open ground such as railroads and a lot of them died off. I think it was great for the coyotes when the meat was fresh and available but i think we are seeing after affects of it now with depleted wildlife.

I hunt the Grasslands a lot, and I have never found any trouble locating coyotes or bobcats for that matter. There are a lot of dogs down there and they really respond to a good dying rabbit call. I plan on being back down there in about a week again.

Quote:
Just curious if anybody has hunted here, Might make a trip down there. Any info would be great apreciated
Thank you

KSDogman,
I think you can see by the response, it gets called a LOT!. Just think, many of the callers and drive-by-hunters don't even know about this board. I've talked to three guys locally in the last week that are going down there off and on this year. It's a bummer.

JBMedina

Where do you hunt the grasslands at, south of Lamar? Ive been told that the hunting is a little slim in the Lamar, Holly, Eastern Colorada area. Is that true? I was brought up in the Holly area, and I Like to hunt down there.

Back