confused, 50 vs 100 yards

Just have to make sure it's ok with the groundhog first........"Hey buddy, would you mind standing back up for a sec? I called that miss before it kicked up dirt in your eyes and I sure would appreciate another crack at you. Could you help a guy out?"

Besides Cat, this is the internet........nobody misses a groundhog at 550yds. There's even probably B-Mags and Dead Coyote loads that make that shot with staggering regularity.

Originally Posted By: trimble s6Besides Cat, this is the internet........nobody misses a groundhog at 550yds. There's even probably B-Mags and Dead Coyote loads that make that shot with staggering regularity.

Sorry Trim... I forgot. A lotta guys can make that shot with a B-Mag, without even takin' off the scope caps.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: trimble s6Besides Cat, this is the internet........nobody misses a groundhog at 550yds. There's even probably B-Mags and Dead Coyote loads that make that shot with staggering regularity.

Sorry Trim... I forgot. A lotta guys can make that shot with a B-Mag, without even takin' off the scope caps.

That's because it has an Accu-Trigger...duh.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: trimble s6Besides Cat, this is the internet........nobody misses a groundhog at 550yds. There's even probably B-Mags and Dead Coyote loads that make that shot with staggering regularity.

You made me laugh out loud!!!
tt2.gif

alright so I guess you guys schooled me haha. I have been reloading for less then a year and I have only reloaded for my 6mm rem bolt action until I got this ar 15. My usual procedure is load min to max in .3 grain incumbents. then find the best load/loads and load within .1-.2 grains and that's what I stick with. for my bolt action this has worked well with 55 grain and 90 grain bullets. 100 grain bullets I think I find a good load and then the next time I shoot it, its less accurate or more accurate so that is a bullet I haven't slayed yet. I did the same procedure with my ar 15 and this time I found a load close to the min and a few off the max that were pretty good. so I loaded .1-.2 up and down from each load and tested (my original post) and was frustrated so I retested yesterday. I never thought to test a load more than twice(I usually test my second test twice) but this is some good advice and maybe I will retest some and see if I get different results. I do take into consideration and keep track of wind and temp when I test and im currently using my roommates reloading set up which is super nice that has everything from a rcbs electric case prep station to a rcbs automatic powder charger. so I tend to believe my charges are accurate due to it tells me if its under or over charged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760.3 grain variance isn't enough for testing. Start at the minimum, work up in .5 gr incriments. Very few, of any, typical reloading scales are truly capable of .1 gr accuracy.

I wonder how many people out there don't understand this point?

Just because your scale shows XX.YY doesn't mean that it is accurate to the hundredth or even the tenth of a grain. I laugh a little when I see guys posting powder weights in the hundredths of a grain like 27.17 grains. The chances of having a home reloading scale that is truly accurate to the hundredth of a grain is very, very slim. Also, there is accuracy and there is repeatability.

Simply by weighing a standard weight, or just use a single bullet, over and over again, you will quickly see that you will often get different weights for the same object. And then weigh the same object a few days later and again look at the variation. A lot of factors can impact the results from your scale.

I'm interested to know, have any of you done a Gauge R&R statistical study on your reloading scale?

Grouse

I have challenged my scale - of course, no other operators use it, so the second "R" can be dispensed with, and since it is not be compared to any other scales or standards, or used "For trade" like a diamond merchant is subjected to...

... it boils down to can you (or me) get a repeat reading with the same weight, on any day, regardless of what kind of light is used, or the temperature in the room is.

I have traceable weight standards, and my beam scale is good - my digital is so badd that I can only use it for sorting brass cases by weight - and even then, I re-zero it every few minutes
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
I have challenged my scale - of course, no other operators use it, so the second "R" can be dispensed with, and since it is not be compared to any other scales or standards, or used "For trade" like a diamond merchant is subjected to...

... it boils down to can you (or me) get a repeat reading with the same weight, on any day, regardless of what kind of light is used, or the temperature in the room is.

I have traceable weight standards, and my beam scale is good - my digital is so badd that I can only use it for sorting brass cases by weight - and even then, I re-zero it every few minutes
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Agreed. My Lyman 1200 collects dust in the corner........a truly worthless investment. Time consuming, but for me, a beam scale is the only way to go. FWIW, I had an RCBS digital and it wasn't much better.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: trimble s6Besides Cat, this is the internet........nobody misses a groundhog at 550yds. There's even probably B-Mags and Dead Coyote loads that make that shot with staggering regularity.

You made me laugh out loud!!!
tt2.gif

I was hoping that would get ya. You're Welcome, Cat!

Cat is right repeatability and actual weight are to differant measurements. If your scale repeats within the mean tolerance of the calabration than it is useable for reloading, even though actual weight readings may not be " legal for trade ".

Originally Posted By: trimble s6Originally Posted By: CatShooter

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Agreed. My Lyman 1200 collects dust in the corner........a truly worthless investment. Time consuming, but for me, a beam scale is the only way to go. FWIW, I had an RCBS digital and it wasn't much better.

My beam scale is a Lyman M-5 (Ohaus) that I have had for about 200 years - and the beam will move with one piece of H-322.

I use my Dillon "Eliminator" for weighing cases... it is a real "Dog-a-roo".

I have a Lyman Digital 1000 that is yummy - I bought it cuz it will run on 9 volts and it has a very good wind screen/shield - I take it to the range when making test loads at the range. It was also made by Ohaus (there might be a secret message in there somewhere).

Back