cooking bobcat backstrap

sweatybetty

a buddy killed one yesterday and im thinking about taking the plunge and cooking the backstraps.
im having a tough time convincing myself to eat cat.
sick.gif
any good recipes??

Originally Posted By: pasturepupGive ol' Fred Eichler a call!!! He is where I seen that at.
yep just watched that yesterday! seems like he had eaten it before and didnt mind it! if i ever kill one i want to try it!

Originally Posted By: RubenatorIf you ever ate Chinese then more than likely you have eaten a cat!
I hope only cat has ended up in my buffet.

Slice it 3/4" thick. Salt & pepper both sides & grill it slow....... don't overcook.

Cook it just like you would a pork tenderloin, the only difference in the two is the pork has fat & the cat doesn't.

Bobcat is tasty! I've eaten it a few times now, and every time it has been a good meal. My favorite way so far to make it was to fry it in a pan over a campfire, lightly salted and cooked with onions.

The first bobcat I ever ate was a couple years ago, and I took some pictures and even a little video of it. I posted it on a different website then, so I'll put the post here for your viewing pleasure.

I've also eaten coyote and fox - if anyone's interested in seeing those pics and video, I'll post them as well.

This bobcat had spent a couple weeks in the freezer before I had time to skin it and eat it. I decided to take my Boy Scout Troop out with me when I skinned it - they loved it and a few even got their hands dirty!

After skinning the cat I cut out a nice piece of backstrap.

bobsteak1.jpg

bobsteak2.jpg

bobsteak3.jpg

Cooking it up - looks a bit like chicken. I grilled it sans seasoning, of course; I wanted the "taste of the wild".

bobsteak4.jpg

bobsteak5.jpg

Bobcat is now part of this complete breakfast!

bobsteak6.jpg

And of course, no good rizzo meal is complete without some camera footage:THE VIDEO!

My verdict? TASTY! I would eat it again in a heartbeat. I'm looking forward to eating a mountain lion when I kill one - I've heard it's just as good. Bobcat was tender, juicy, and left no nasty smell in my grill.

Back