Copenhagen

Glad to hear you are beating the habit Chupa. You too K v v! I have not touched a cigarette in a year now and there are still times I get the craving. Like you say, if I wait a moment, the feeling passes. Keep it up! I now have the feeling I accomplished something to be proud of. Celebrated by getting a new vehicle as a reward!

Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread and it's really opened my eyes! Two years ago, during my last year of college, I started chewing because all of my roommates did and it was a social thing to do while watching hockey or partying. Then shortly after I graduated and moved back home working for my stepdad, I found myself still buying tins. I would still go party on weekends with my friends, but after a couple months of working full-time, I got over the whole party phase and rarely drink now. However, I've been chewing since...not that much (a tin usually lasts me a couple weeks) and it's kind of hard when you play rugby, work construction, and are seeking a career in law enforcement where everyone around me chews. I don't get a buzz anymore like when I first chewed...it does help calm me down when I'm stressed or angry, but I tend to do it most of the time now for stupid reasons (after eating, certain times of the day, etc.). I've quit before for a few weeks, but get a craving or see a friend with it and gave in. My girlfriend is a nurse and gave me a talking to when we first started dating, but she thinks I quit or rarely do it now. I just don't like the secrecy of hiding it from my parents, girlfriend, and other people. Plus my cousin started chewing after hanging out with me and my friends and I feel ashamed about it. I'm mostly paranoid about getting mouth cancer and leaving my girlfriend and family because of something I chose to do that was preventable. I have about 2 half-full tins in my bag right now that I was going to finish and be done...again, but I think I'll just toss them in the garbage now. Thanks for all the stories guys, it really brought things into perspective!

Kyle

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702 but I think I'll just toss them in the garbage now.
Kyle

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: roky0702Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread and it's really opened my eyes! Two years ago, during my last year of college, I started chewing because all of my roommates did and it was a social thing to do while watching hockey or partying. Then shortly after I graduated and moved back home working for my stepdad, I found myself still buying tins. I would still go party on weekends with my friends, but after a couple months of working full-time, I got over the whole party phase and rarely drink now. However, I've been chewing since...not that much (a tin usually lasts me a couple weeks) and it's kind of hard when you play rugby, work construction, and are seeking a career in law enforcement where everyone around me chews. I don't get a buzz anymore like when I first chewed...it does help calm me down when I'm stressed or angry, but I tend to do it most of the time now for stupid reasons (after eating, certain times of the day, etc.). I've quit before for a few weeks, but get a craving or see a friend with it and gave in. My girlfriend is a nurse and gave me a talking to when we first started dating, but she thinks I quit or rarely do it now. I just don't like the secrecy of hiding it from my parents, girlfriend, and other people. Plus my cousin started chewing after hanging out with me and my friends and I feel ashamed about it. I'm mostly paranoid about getting mouth cancer and leaving my girlfriend and family because of something I chose to do that was preventable. I have about 2 half-full tins in my bag right now that I was going to finish and be done...again, but I think I'll just toss them in the garbage now. Thanks for all the stories guys, it really brought things into perspective!

Kyle
thumbup.gif

Quit now! Right now! Not later! Now!

Day #1 is hard, not gonna lie to you. But every day after that is easier. 72 hours is all it takes to get over the physical addiction, the psychological addiction is what takes longer. You're going to have times when you feel naked without having something in your lip, make that "something" something that is healthy. I like sunflower seeds, but I have also used the fake stuff from time to time(Bac-Off, Smokey Mountain Chew), neither have any tobacco or nicotine in it. Smokey Mountain is corn silk with cayenne pepper(for the burn) and Bacc-Off is ground peppermint leaves. If you need the fake stuff to keep from putting that garbage in your mouth, IT'S OK TO DO SO! You still win.

Chupa

I don't know if I have posted in this thread already, but I quit in the winter of 2012 and have been 100% tobacco free since. One thing that really helped was the Nicorette lozenges, which are like mints you put between your check and gum. Anyways, if you're thinking about quit now. Right now.

I read this post and it cause me to quit, and today is day 50. This is the fourth time I have quit, each time for 40 to 100 days. Every time I started using again I would increase my usage until I was using all day long. Day 1 to 20 was not fun at all. I was experiencing crippling anxiety but got on some nicotine gum and a ton of sunflower seeds. Now it's going great just a craving during certain times. A little nervousness for the weather to cool down, I have yet to call without a chew but its just another challenge.

Good for those of you that have quite.. I was a can and 2 pack of reds a day..
It's hard but i can tell you that calm you think you get from the dip or smoke is not real. You can do that on your own if you just sit down and take a minute to yourself.
It's nasty and you are always going to crave it, but at some point you will get to where you will remember how hard it was to stop, and won't want to do that again, and that will be the reason you don't start up again. Take it one hour at a time, one day, one week, one month. Now i can be around those that still do, and it doesn't bother me.
Good luck.
I also found that eating sunflower seeds every time I wanted a dip, also was a great deterant. I got to the point where my mouth was so sore, i didn't want another one.

Quote:at some point you will get to where you will remember how hard it was to stop, and won't want to do that again

Right on Tbone. When you reach the point that you just have to have a dip, take a moment to recall how tough those first few days/weeks were and how far you have come. It calms down the urge.

Regards,
hm

Been quit 8 years. One of the toughest things I have ever done. Be strong and take it one urge at a time. For me the only way to quit was cold turkey.

In the same boat as you brother, from Massachusetts where they just raised the taxes which double the cost of a can. 7$ for cheap grizzly over 10 for cope. I'm only 23 and expecting my first child in October, trying to buy a house, and looking to propose. No room for that expense in my day. I picked a day which happens to be tomorow to just straight up stop. I've done it before for a month or so at a time. All I can say is stock up on jolly ranchers sunflower seeds or gum and get to it. Best of luck

I quit February 11 2013 after chewing for over twenty years. I had read this post sometime back, some of the comments had really stuck with me.

I had half assed tried to quit many times over the years. Decided to try Chantix, it really helped me forget about the chew and take the edge off.

I still get some pretty good urges from time to time but I just remind myself I am only one chew away from starting all over again

Usually not one to post but you all have inspired me to also quit. Im 27 years old, been chewing Grizzley Wintergreen for 9 years. 1-2 cans a day since the last 3 years. I had a baby girl last October. I read all 20 pages of this forum last night, with a chew in. This morning on my way to work I tossed 2 unopen cans out the window and a second half can. Im a nurse and chewing has been a major stress reliever for me though college and working. Worked a 12 hr shift, wanted one pretty bad at lunch break but didnt have any, kinda kicked myself for tossing them. Well, today is day one, just one day but im putting out the effort. Thanks for the inspiration. Im gonna give it everything I have.

Good luck to all you guys ! Did same thing with smokes, 2 pack pall mall guy. Lung cancer killed a good friend. Slowly killed brother-in-law. Emphysema killed mother after dragging oxygen hose around house for 3 years. Yep it motivated me. That was 21 years ago i quit . The day I quit I promised myself I would NEVER do it again.

Just got a text cancer took my cousin at 1 am this morning .He also used tobacco. QUIT now guys before its to late !

HAVE A GREAT SEASON !

Back