Coyote Hunting in Pioche Nevada How do you call a coyote?

1longshot

Hey guys,
I have never actually killed a coyote. I have shot at a couple and missed though. Anyway Lets get to the point.
I will be moving to Las Vegas in 10 months and Need to take up a new hunting sport. My friend lives in Pioche Nevada and I would like to start hunting coyotes. There are plenty to kill, but as you have probably guessed I haven't the first clue on how to hunt these guys. I have plenty of rifles, shotguns, and a couple of pistols. I like to shoot a .243... I also have a .223. I have a couple of hand calls, a jack and cotton in distress and some good naval destert cammo. I think we may have acces to night vision too, but that is for another discussion.
Please give me as much advice as possible, calls, techniques and garanteed ways to get that coyote if he/she is there

Go to the bottom of the list of forums and read the predator hunting archives. It's tough to answer your question when it's so broad. I could tell you but it would take all night and a lot of Jack and Coke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Read through some of the topics down there and you'll get the basic overview and then if you have questions still they will be a bit more precise! Don't worry we'll get you set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Edited for spelling

here's the secret...just go out in a field and yell "here coyote, here boy, C'mon" and whistle a few times....your bound to get run over by one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

just jokin...do a search and you'll find more than a enough reading material, warning once you shot one your hooked and it gets bad, lot's of guns and calls!

good luck and good hunting -drew

Sorry to hear about your move to Vegas. It sucks here. I have heard that the hunting around Pioche is good , but have never tried it. I have hunted Caliente (just south of Pioche) several times and so have a few others I go out with. No one has ever called or seen a coyote there. I hunt pretty much anywhere from centeral Nevada south. Just came back from Ely and the hunting there is no better than around Las Vegas. Like has already been said, do your self a favor and read the past posts. Use the search function located at the top right of the page, near the Post Reply Button. Good luck.

1Longshot, the old minnimg town of Pioche was at one time a bad bad place to live. They tell me it was worse then Bodie, and Bodie was called "welcome to hell" lol. I've hunted around Pioche, seems the best areas for coyotes were north of town off of I think it's called 93, it's been a few years. Predator hunting is not all that hard to do, you'll do ok just don't give up...Good Luck

Just go out all camo'd up and start calling! Make sure they're short calls, as their lungs are tiny. I've seen people sound like wounded ducks, while calling, everyone laughing their butts off, and in comes the coyote. In short, just go out and start having fun! Those coyotes don't know a good caller from a new caller. They just hear lunch. Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You ever check out Boot Hill in Pioche? Pretty cool. It hasn't been prettied up or anything, just the old boneyard, complete with the original wood markers and all. Some of the things carved in the markers are a hoot. Found a guys name scratched on a canyon wall about 20 miles from there, while calling, then seen his name on one of those wooden markers on Boot Hill later. Dates about a year apart.

- DAA

Back