Coyote Light Users input...IS IT that GOOD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Kevind43,

I am Ernie, owner of the Carnivore 5. I do not post information about
my lights and tripod predator hunting stands because I do not have the size
business to afford being a sponsor at this point. However, since you asked
directly about my light, I believe it is acceptable to post a response to
your question.

I am always a bit cautious when directly comparing Lux readings and hunting
uses because they can be two different things. A single red led generates
around 250 LM,s But you can take that 250lm,s and focus that light and it
will give you a hi LUX reading. Kind of like a magnifying glass were you
can focus the sun light so tight it can start a fire. But you would have a
beam that would shine far. But it would be small in diameter. If you take
that same 250 LM,s and try an spread it out it will drop LUX real fast.

I set out to create a light that had both a long reach as well as a wide
through to quickly pick up critters in a scope faster than narrow beams.

So here is a question, what is the difference in a light that uses 5 250
LM LEDs and there lux

Well for one thing you can only use a fixed lens but you are getting 1200
1200 LM,s
You will get a much higher LUX reading on a focused led. But a 5 led light
will put out 1200 LM,s of fixed light. The lux reading will be less but
you will see a lot more area lit up and see very far all at the same time.
Also when you lose the spill on a tight beam you lose the ability to hide
behind the light. Anything not directly in the tight beam of light will now
be able to see behind the light.
So there is a lot more to running lights for hunting then a light meter.
Picking lights is a hard thing to do and each has there own use. Size and
weight even comes into play. The type of hunting method comes into play.

If you think you can pick lights form people that aggressively sell lights
good luck! Everybody thinks they have the best.

I would say take your time picking a light and hunt with others and test
there lights.
Ernie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BUCKWHEAT

Hi Kevind43,

I am Ernie the seller of the Carnivore 5. I do not post information about
my lights and tripod predator hunting stands because I do not have the size
business to afford being a sponsor at this point. However, since you asked
directly about my light, I believe it is acceptable to post a response to
your question.

I am always a bit cautious when directly comparing Lux readings and hunting
uses because they can be two different things. A single red led generates
around 250 LM,s But you can take that 250lm,s and focus that light and it
will give you a hi LUX reading. Kind of like a magnifying glass were you
can focus the sun light so tight it can start a fire. But you would have a
beam that would shine far. But it would be small in diameter. If you take
that same 250 LM,s and try an spread it out it will drop LUX real fast.

I set out to create a light that had both a long reach as well as a wide
through to quickly pick up critters in a scope faster than narrow beams.

So here is a question, what is the difference in a light that uses 5 250
LM LEDs and there lux

Well for one thing you can only use a fixed lens but you are getting 1200
1200 LM,s
You will get a much higher LUX reading on a focused led. But a 5 led light
will put out 1200 LM,s of fixed light. The lux reading will be less but
you will see a lot more area lit up and see very far all at the same time.
Also when you lose the spill on a tight beam you lose the ability to hide
behind the light. Anything not directly in the tight beam of light will now
be able to see behind the light.
So there is a lot more to running lights for hunting then a light meter.
Picking lights is a hard thing to do and each has there own use. Size and
weight even comes into play. The type of hunting method comes into play.

If you think you can pick lights form people that aggressively sell lights
good luck! Everybody thinks they have the best.

I would say take your time picking a light and hunt with others and test
there lights.
Ernie

ernie,

thank you for a fair and honest and courteous response. i started hunting at night a few years ago and bought a few of the lights currently on the market and wasn't impressed with any of them. i know what i need and there isn't anything on the market that fits my needs in a price range that i could afford. thats when i started building my own lights. that said when someone claims that this light or that is the farthest throwing or beats the pants off this other light i want a quantitative analysis of how they arrived at that conclusion. the only way to do that is with a light meter.

Often one can read about "lux" or "lux@1m" to describe 'spot brightness' or throw.

this is a quote from dr jones,

lux is the unit of illuminance E, that is the luminous flux F (lumens) per area A falling onto a surface. It's more a unit for a whole lighting setup onto a target than for a light source itself.

With a single light source like a flashlight, the illuminance E drops with increasing distance d, described by the inverse square law: E is proportional to 1/d² (actually that's an approximation which gets more accurate with increasing distance). If one now multiplies that illuminance E by the squared distance, E*d² gives a constant value, which is independent of the distance and only depends on the flashlight itself. This is another physical quantity, the luminous intensity I, or, measured at the spot, the spot luminous intensity I, or peak luminous intensity I. It's unit is candela (cd; candlepower (cp) is an obsolete unit equivalent to candela): I = E * d²

Of course, one lux in d=1m distance gives one candela, which is why "10000 lux@1m" is somewhat the same as 10000 cd (or better 10 kcd), however the latter is the proper unit. ANSI/NEMA FL1 uses it, too.

Most of you already know that measuring the spot intensity at only 1m distance is not a good idea, as the beam often has not settled to it's 'final beam pattern' in that short distance. Even ANSI/NEMA FL1 demands a minimum distance of 2m; for throwers that is still much too near (I suggest a distance where the spot size is at least 10 times as big as the reflector/lens diameter). Doing so and calculating that back to "lux@1m" sometimes leads to strange units like "31736 lux @1m (calculated)" - just write 31.7 kcd instead.

I just would like to suggest

not using lux when you mean candela
using the "k" for big numbers
not denoting more than three significant digits; typical lux-meters have an accuracy of 5%, a number like 31736 seems to imply a dubious precision of less than 0.1%

While being at it, throw (in meters) is usually defined as the distance at which the illuminance on a (perpendicular) target falls below a certain level; if you follow ANSI/NEMA, that level is 0.25 lx. Throw can be calculated from the spot intensity I using the above formula rearranged to
d = sqrt ( I / E0 )
with E0 = 0.25 lx for NEMA throw. (Some consider that value of 0.25 lx quite low, resulting in relatively high throw values; practical throw values might be lower, depending on the situation.)

17fireball was claiming to ID a fox at 500 yds using your light. according the inverse square law that would require 208Kcd(208,000candela). the square root of 208,000 is 457 meters which equals 500 yards. all i want to know is if the carnivore 5 actually puts out that much light.
the numbers absolutely do mean something. it is the only way to measure the output of a light. there are many factors that contribute to being able to identify a target and shoot it at night with a light. human eyesight, scope quality, air quality, humidity, atmosheric conditions, ambient light. this is why we see big discrepencies with hunters claiming to be able see a certain distance with brand x light. we have all seen it here on PM, hunter A has a kill light and he can see 250 yds, while hunter B has the same light and he can only see 125 yds.
i have no argument with your beam pattern that is certainly a matter of personal preference. you designed or chose your light to achieve a certain goal and it looks like you accomplished it.
you know and i know you cant pick a light from these over aggressive importers. youre right they think they have the best. i want to know what is the best through scientific testing not subjective estimates. and yes there are a few good products out there, very few.

i would be more than happy to discuss how i design and build my lights through private messages or right out in the open too. i too am not big enough to be a sponsor on this forum.

i certainly appreciate the dialogue on this topic.

kevin

Last edited:
Using the above formulas an XLR 250 supplies .17 lux at 250 yards. This is based on 9000 lux at 1 meter which myself, Boondock and others have observed. This is well below the .25 NEMA standard. (more on that later)

I've been using an E of 1 lux to compare lights and that seems a little conservative but .25 seems low and .17 seems really low.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...726#Post2293726

Some lux values.
http://wiki.fis-ski.com/index.php/Lux

One thing to remember, lux meters are calibrated for white light or all light in the visual spectrum. Red LEDs fall in the 620nm range. Green and blue are nonexistent so 2/3rds of the color model is missing. It's easy to see in the picture at the right, where all three colors (RGB) overlap you get white light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

While we can compare these red LEDs lights to each other and establish an even and unbiased playing field I don't believe the numbers hold true to any standard used for white light.

Last edited:
Nice info and posts kevind43 $ Pmack

Quote:Most of you already know that measuring the spot intensity at only 1m distance is not a good idea, as the beam often has not settled to it's 'final beam pattern' in that short distance. Even ANSI/NEMA FL1 demands a minimum distance of 2m; for throwers that is still much too near (I suggest a distance where the spot size is at least 10 times as big as the reflector/lens diameter). Doing so and calculating that back to "lux@1m" sometimes leads to strange units like "31736 lux @1m (calculated)" - just write 31.7 kcd instead.

Not sure I agree with the 2 meter rule for the type and style lights we are discussing. example- a W400 beam measures 25 inches (64cm) at 1 meter and the reflector diameter approx 4cm.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsNice info and posts kevind43 $ Pmack

Quote:Most of you already know that measuring the spot intensity at only 1m distance is not a good idea, as the beam often has not settled to it's 'final beam pattern' in that short distance. Even ANSI/NEMA FL1 demands a minimum distance of 2m; for throwers that is still much too near (I suggest a distance where the spot size is at least 10 times as big as the reflector/lens diameter). Doing so and calculating that back to "lux@1m" sometimes leads to strange units like "31736 lux @1m (calculated)" - just write 31.7 kcd instead.

Not sure I agree with the 2 meter rule for the type and style lights we are discussing. example- a W400 beam measures 25 inches (64cm) at 1 meter and the reflector diameter approx 4cm.

A link I've shared before, not sure what your getting at with beam diameter and reflector?

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lux.htm

Ok, I was out at 2am in 10 degree weather trying every camera I own to take beamshots at distance of these red lights.. No camera will pick up red at long distance. I wish there was a camera that would pick up red light like we see..

I can do 100 yard beamshots, but they do not do the Coyote light any justice so I dont know what to do other than say if you purchase the Coyote light and dont think its the best light youve used then send it back within 30 days for a full refund.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah I think the only way you're going to get a pic to come out at long distances is a manual SLR camera. You're going to have a really long exposure time. Even then not sure what you're going to get.

Bottom line if one light has twice the throw of another are you going to use the lesser of the 2 because you like the beamshot picture??? All you're going to get is different diameter beams unless you add an aspheric lens as in the pics below.

Every light I've ever put on my gun completely illuminated my FOV and/or picked up eyes at the distance I expected it to so I don't understand what a beamshot picture tells. If you have lights side by side you can compare them but a lux meter will tell you all you need to know.

What are we actually looking for in a beamshot???

2 completely different beamshots which one would you choose and why?

100_0274_zps2ebe4054.jpg

000_0368.jpg

Last edited:
My light is better than yours! No it's not! Yes it is Poopy Butt! I'm telling!

Gheez! Skip the light!

By a Flir LS-64 and a Gen 3 Dedicated Night Vision Scope!

Problem solved!

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindMy light is better than yours! No it's not! Yes it is Poopy Butt! I'm telling!

Gheez! Skip the light!

Problem solved!

Hey captain obvious go beat your chest with your night vision buddies
tt2.gif
If I had a few grand to play with I'd have one.

Originally Posted By: pmackJeremiah I think the only way you're going to get a pic to come out at long distances is a manual SLR camera. You're going to have a really long exposure time. Even then not sure what you're going to get.

Bottom line if one light has twice the throw of another are you going to use the lesser of the 2 because you like the beamshot picture??? All you're going to get is different diameter beams unless you add an aspheric lens as in the pics below.

Every light I've ever put on my gun completely illuminated my FOV and/or picked up eyes at the distance I expected it to so I don't understand what a beamshot picture tells. If you have lights side by side you can compare them but a lux meter will tell you all you need to know.

What are we actually looking for in a beamshot???

2 completely different beamshots which one would you choose and why?

100_0274_zps2ebe4054.jpg

000_0368.jpg

1. Gun mounted shooting light. Nice center beam that is focused and allows me to positively Id target with little error in the scope. allows me to keep animal in halo until shooting point, then I can drop the beam to stun the animal.

2. Scanning light, low beam power, wide pattern. Not good for a shooting light in my opinion unless shotgun and close.

I don't get to hunt at night but once or twice a year for a few days. So I am basing my wants on what I do in the open desert. What works in PA may not be the same and not work the same. I would prefer top beam for a shooting light.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: Dead Down WindMy light is better than yours! No it's not! Yes it is Poopy Butt! I'm telling!

Gheez! Skip the light!

Problem solved!

Hey captain obvious go beat your chest with your night vision buddies
tt2.gif
If I had a few grand to play with I'd have one.

I guess it sucks to be you! SORRY!

I see you are in New York! Won't be long and you won't have a rifle so why buy a light? I guess you could use it too work on your car..........

The coyote light is only available in red at this time.. there is no way to give a while beam shot..
it have a focusable beam you can have a wide flood or a very tight square spot with a simple 1/4 twist of the front of the light.
Also have a reostat dimmer on the back of the light to allow you to dim the light to the desired brightness..

Jeremiah

So this is supposedly 250 yards and you can barely make out the decoy,at 300,400,500 I'd bet money there's no way to ID a coyote. It's disappointing,I would have bought a couple....

COYOTELITE_zps1fd8e88a.jpg

Originally Posted By: ultramagSo this is supposedly 250 yards and you can barely make out the decoy,at 300,400,500 I'd bet money there's no way to ID a coyote. It's disappointing,I would have bought a couple....

COYOTELITE_zps1fd8e88a.jpg

Isn't is 250 yards and 200x zoom on the camera?

If so? I cannot see how they could possibly come up with $429.00 for a scanning light?
When i hunt Colorado at night, i use a Cheap Black n Decker LED spotlight $40.00 for scanning eyes and for positive ID i go too my LaserGentics ND3X50 Subzero, BANG!

Keep in mind that in the picture that ultramag posted the coyote light has the beam focused on the widest setting which is what you would want to use to scan with. To make a positive ID on the animal you would simply adjust the beam down to the narrowest setting and then make the shot. When you have the beam on the coyote light adjusted to the narrowest setting it looks just like the bottom picture in pmacks's post.

I'll see what I can do about getting a good picture. I'm not sure I have a camera that has that capability but I will certainly give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back