Coyotes attack my beagles........

Yep Varmit master, that is the same animal that nearly killed the dog. I don't know what stopped it the first time but you can be sure it will try again.

And Silencer, back when I could call at night I called a couple right into barn lots under lights. More than once I have seen them casing the joint so to speak under those lights at night.They removed this law from the books so I no longer have this tool for controling these animals.

Night time is the time for running and gunning here in the east. You can locate then set up and take a load of them at night. I only had moonlight calling and setup was very diferent from daylight but well worth learning to do.For five nights each month I had a blast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif Jimmie

I am going to go after him late right before dark when the rain stops. My uncle cant let the dog out of the cage because of the coyote now me and Mr foxro and 22 250 are going to see if we can give the coyote a free ride home when the rain stops. Or my uncle friend is a W/Officer i will have my uncle talk to him and get me a permit to take him at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif VM

If you can get the permit use a shotgun and buck or bb loads. Getting him to come into the light while you hide in the shadows would be great.That way you don't need a light that might spook him off.

Don't worry, you can call him right back into that yard again.But you will only get one chance. Make it good.Jimmie

I've had one hound attacked by a yote about four years ago and had several"stalked"by yotes as well.When we used to run foxhounds(mainly walkers) on several occasions we had a coyote turn to fight the hounds.

I was really sorry to hear about your Beagles. I'm a dog lover and have four beagles of my own, plus a couple of Labrador Retrievers.

Thankfully, Coyotes haven't totally colonized my area of Newfoundland yet.(Coyotes invaded the island of Newfoundland, Canada back in the mid to late 80s - crossing the pack ice from Nova Scotia, from these three animals, followed by several additional migrations, the entire province has been colonized with some experts estimating that there are 50,000-100,000 'yotes!) For the most part I can still run my dogs without fear of coyote attack.

It will be a sad day when this will no longer be the case. Now, if I end up with a beagle locked on another bunny as it gets dark, I can just leave my jacket on the ground and come back the next morning to find my dog asleep on it. Won't be able to do that once the Coyote population grows to what it is on the west coast of the island or in Central Newfoundland!

I sure hope you manage to get rid of the main perpetrators! Beagles are all heart and they'll keep going when other dogs will just up and quit. After reading your post, every coyote I shoot will now equate to a beagle saved! Hope the pups are doing well!

Back