Crunch factor... argghh!!

kyute

Is anyone else as disgusted with the noisy walking into sets? The lack of snow and the thaw/freeze is gonna drive me crazy! Can't get into good sets and it doesn't look like its gonna get any better for some time...oh well, I just had to get that off my chest!

I was excited about this full moon cycle until I walked off the road yesterday. I'm sure every animal in the county heard me. Dang, can't we get some cold weather and lots of snow?

Originally Posted By: kyuteIs anyone else as disgusted with the noisy walking into sets? The lack of snow and the thaw/freeze is gonna drive me crazy! Can't get into good sets and it doesn't look like its gonna get any better for some time...oh well, I just had to get that off my chest!

Walk on the front ball of your feet, rather than heel to toe walking. Cut your total walk in noise by 1/2.
Walk into your call stand across the wind.
Hunt when the wind is atleast 15 mph.
Don't walk in to far.
Pause often, very often as you walk to your call stand.
On the walk in, keep a ridgeline between yourself & where you think a coyote may be.
Walk very slow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kirbyOriginally Posted By: kyuteIs anyone else as disgusted with the noisy walking into sets? The lack of snow and the thaw/freeze is gonna drive me crazy! Can't get into good sets and it doesn't look like its gonna get any better for some time...oh well, I just had to get that off my chest!

Walk on the front ball of your feet, rather than heel to toe walking. Cut your total walk in noise by 1/2.
Don't walk in to far.
On the walk in, keep a ridgeline between yourself & where you think a coyote may be.
Walk very slow.

Those are some great tips kirby. The ground conditions are so bad here right now its literally impossible to slip in tight to certain sets and think a critter won't hear it. The hope is that the dogs are at the "sweet" distance,,,that is far enough they don't hear you, and close enough they will still come to the call. With all that said, we have had many times we called in critters and knew they heard us coming in. BUT, that was in pretty virgin country where I don't believe the dogs have ever been pressured. It's a tough call deciding to "let's just try it anyway",, or playing it safe and waiting for better conditions. So the million dollar question- do you let the ground conditions keep you out of a lot of your sets, or do you gamble and try to make it happen regardless? I will be honest and tell ya my partner and I tend to play it safe quite a bit and hunt sets that we think the dogs are further away.

Originally Posted By: kyuteOriginally Posted By: kirbyOriginally Posted By: kyuteIs anyone else as disgusted with the noisy walking into sets? The lack of snow and the thaw/freeze is gonna drive me crazy! Can't get into good sets and it doesn't look like its gonna get any better for some time...oh well, I just had to get that off my chest!

Don't walk in to far.
Walk very slow.

Those are some great tips kirby. The ground conditions are so bad here right now its literally impossible to slip in tight to certain sets and think a critter won't hear it. The hope is that the dogs are at the "sweet" distance,,,that is far enough they don't hear you, and close enough they will still come to the call. With all that said, we have had many times we called in critters and knew they heard us coming in. BUT, that was in pretty virgin country where I don't believe the dogs have ever been pressured. It's a tough call deciding to "let's just try it anyway",, or playing it safe and waiting for better conditions. So the million dollar question- do you let the ground conditions keep you out of a lot of your sets, or do you gamble and try to make it happen regardless? I will be honest and tell ya my partner and I tend to play it safe quite a bit and hunt sets that we think the dogs are further away.

Well my tips do help on some coyotes. But not all of course. Thing is when I stalk in on one that is sleeping. I prefer to come in cross-wind or slightly angled up & cross-wind. By coming in on a cross-wind. "Some" of your walk in noise will be carried parallel & down-wind PAST where a coyote is OR might be.

When calling I do not get in to close to where I know or think a coyote might be. So I do not bump that coyote or cause it to go into alert, as it will stare my way listening for further noise coming it's way.

Even in high winds, a coyote will be down in a wind brake area on the down-wind slope/side of a hill, ridgeline or in ground cover. They can hear VERY well in those wind brake areas. But to a lesser degree in a cross-wind of 15mph or greater. Key is to walk in very slow, very slow & pause very often.

On loud snow cover I tend to not go any more than a couple hundred yrds into a section when "calling". It is very important IMO. To get in far enough into a section. To put that coyote at "ease" enough to respond. As most coyotes tend not to get close to a roadway or active acrege/farmsted in the daytime. Coyotes prefer a buffer area between themselves & man. Which in most cases, is near 1/4 mile or more in distance.

Last edited:
Same problem in North Central Wisconsin this last weekend. Should have put on the pair of snow shoes to lesson the sound. All i could say is use the wind to your favor, it is still the best thing we got. That is if there is a wind.

Here is another tip on loud snow cover & it works quite well.

Example;

Ridgeline runs West to East.
Wind from due North.
Coyote is in some timber 1 mile from the roadway into a section.

Walk in very slowly, pausing often. From on the NORTH side of the ridgeline.

Once you get within 3/8 mile +/- from the timber.
VERY Slowly, cross over onto the South side of the ridgeline.
Try to keep a small hill between you & the timber. DO NOT cross-over any place where you will be exposing yourself to that timber. Specifically, the lower ground area of that timber.

Set-up a little ways below the ridgeline & call towards the timber. Cast your call sounds right above the nearest hill in front of you. So your sound carries the farthest in the cross-wind towards the timber.

By walking in initially from on the North side in a cross-wind. You have muted some of your noise, that may cast towards the timber on the South side of the ridge.

As the ridgeline will act as a noise buffer. As well as the North wind, will assist in carrying some of your noise "parallel/adjacent" & down past that timber.

A wind of atleast 15mph is your friend.

Last edited:
I was out early Sunday morning and it sounded like I was walking on cornflakes the whole way out. Anything within a half mile of me heard me as soon as I hit snow. Of course the only place we have snow around here is on the north-side of woodlots, treelines or where the sun can't shine. I haven't had decent snow for a full moon all winter. It sucks. The snow we have had half-a$$ melts in a couple days.

I was out today and did nothing but crunch all the way to my sets, still called in 4, so I cant see it as an issue myself. I try to walk at the edge of the drifts in the fields as it is softer, but I sound like a train coming through.

Originally Posted By: kyuteIs anyone else as disgusted with the noisy walking into sets? The lack of snow and the thaw/freeze is gonna drive me crazy! Can't get into good sets and it doesn't look like its gonna get any better for some time...oh well, I just had to get that off my chest!

Very frustrating Kyute. I hunted Sat. morning and got out early(for me)just after first light. I have a spot where I know a pack lives and sure enough they were there. After my first ten steps I considered quitting because not only is the snow crunchy but there is a crust layer that will hold you for two steps and break through every third. Crunch, crunch, CRUNCH. I could hear it echo of the trees I was heading to. Got in, sat for 20 min, called and they called back but no love. Was home by 10 am and went ice fishing.

We went out last weekend and had the same problem. The crunch was so loud it was useless to try to walk quietly. I thought it was going to decrease our odds of calling anything in but I was wrong. We ended up calling in doubles on two out of three stands.

It all boils down to how far they are when you set. It's just frustrating when you scout your butt off, figure them out and where they are, and you can't get close! The dogs in these parts for the most part, won't tolerate it.

Yotesniper,
I flew into Omaha last Sunday night and drove from there down to Lincoln for work this week and you guys had a lot more snow than we did up north. It was cloudy out but with the light bouncing off the bottom of the clouds you could see real well quite a ways South of Omaha and I actually saw a few running across the open fields.
I'll probably be back down in a week or so and am thinking of bringing the gun and caller and trying my hand at a Nebraska yote.
Rob

There's only one thing to do - provided your significant other doesn't mind. Take the cushions from the living room couch and tie them to your feet! It's slow going, but it certainly cuts the noise down.

Back