Del-Ton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dwayne SholarBolts are hp/mp tested. The extreme duty rifle has a hammer forged hp/mp tested barrel all other barrels are mil spec 4150 chrom moly vanadium except sport model rifle which is 4140 steel. Only a few manufactures are using 4150 steel and one of them is not Colt. Oh Yeah Chrome lined Gas keys are properly staked and sealed with grade 8 screws and everything is parkerized. Hope this answered your questions.

Good to hear the specs. It sounds like most of the quality control is being handled nicely. Ill do some more looking into Del-Ton. Could be a way to go. And while true that Colt isnt currently using 4150 steel, both DD and BCM are. I personally dont drink the "colt is better than all" cool-aid, so I bought a DD
smile.gif

Ok you drug me in this one. There are alot of manufactures that are not Mil-Spec but I can tell you this much. RRA may not be Mil-Spec but they are danm good guns. yea they dont put there parts through military standard test but tell me what the real difference is. I was in the military and I can tell you from first hand experience with several Colt M-16 and M-4s that I would take my RRA any day over one of those. They are crap! Goes back to that old saying "your weapon is made by the cheapest bidder" Might as well say that your weapon is the cheapest POS we could get. If RRA or some company like them got that contract when the military was fishing for a new gun they would be talked about all the time. Mil Spec is over rated. I have seen many colts just straight up break!! So much for Mil Spec. If you could tell me what the real difference is between a company like Colt and RRA is then I would love to listen. The thing is nothing other then Colt saying there weapons are Mil-Spec. Its like that movie Tommy Boy where hes talking about gurantees. When he says if you want I could take a [beeep] in box and stamp a gurantee on it. Now all you have is a pile of [beeep] in a box with a gurantee. Thats what Mil-Spec is for Colt. They have a POS [beeep] that they say is Mil-Spec. People take that Mil-Spec crap to literal. Its not like your fighting in the sand box or in the ice cold weather of Russia. Get real you have a gun that you shoot at the range and sets in your safe other times and Mil-Spec is never going to apply to you. NEVER!! If we were invaded tomorrow your single shot Mil-Spec AR-15 is not going to do you any better then my non Mil-Spec AR-15. As far as comapanys like LaRue, LWRC, Knights Arment etc... They are awesome guns that are Mil-Spec. All these Mil-Spec guns have test done to military standards makeing sure the parts can handle certain things. At the same time Mil-Spec says you cant have a chrome bolt. They also say you cant have a two stage trigger. If I knew how to cut barrells and reciever and stuff I would make some cheap a$$ ARs for that military contract. Heck that alone is what makes those guns so popular. Everybody thinks since the military uses it must be a great gun. Not true just a cheap POS that meets the standards that the military sets. Companys like RRA dont do this. If they did the gun would be more expensive becaue it would cost them more to make and they wouldnt be able to do things like there chrome bolts, two stage trigger, star slector switch etc... things that make these guns great. So if you want to pay the extra 100 bucks for a gurantee go ahead. Just remeber these other companys that dont meet mil-spec becuase they choose not to also have lifetime warrantys. Just remember your " Your gun is made by the cheapest bidder. So dont rely on it!"

3DHUSKER I was replying to a specific post comparing DelTon rifles to chinese sockets and another with a question about their quality. Not putting them above or bashing any specific manufacture. The thread started with a guy wanting some input on weather or not to buy from Delton. It seem to me that some of the advice he was getting was miscontrued. All I am doing is stating simple FACTS, not hearsay, based on personal experience so the guy could make up his own mind. You know helping a brother out. I'm not a fan boy of any gun especially Delton. I just know the guy and his company because he is right down the road from me. All the other companies mention were built on reputation and he is trying to do the same thing. All my AR's were bought for hunting not gunfighting although they would be the first thing I would grab if I got into one. Check out the picture of my daughter with her first Deer's in photo hosting. She is 8yrs old and very petite. The main reason I got a Black Rifle. She can handle it
smile.gif
!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dwayne Sholar3DHUSKER I was replying to a specific post comparing DelTon rifles to chinese sockets and another with a question about their quality. Not putting them above or bashing any specific manufacture. The thread started with a guy wanting some input on weather or not to buy from Delton. It seem to me that some of the advice he was getting was miscontrued. All I am doing is stating simple FACTS, not hearsay, based on personal experience so the guy could make up his own mind. You know helping a brother out. I'm not a fan boy of any gun especially Delton. I just know the guy and his company because he is right down the road from me. All the other companies mention were built on reputation and he is trying to do the same thing. All my AR's were bought for hunting not gunfighting although they would be the first thing I would grab if I got into one. Check out the picture of my daughter with her first Deer's in photo hosting. She is 8yrs old and very petite. The main reason I got a Black Rifle. She can handle it
smile.gif
!!

Ok... So you dont like my story? Sorry if you dont see the hurmor in it.
smile.gif
I pretty much agree with you on all counts so....

In case some of you notice, I've deleted any posts that were not on topic...Maybe because it's Friday, Maybe because they had no relevance to the original post, or Maybe because I'm in a bitchy mood from oversleeping and having to deal with some really crappy wiring in my house...

Cmil84,
Not calling you a liar as I believe your experience with colts, but how many rounds were through theae rifles that just "broke"? What broke on them? Were these older military rifles with unknown round counts or maintanance? How many rounds through your RR? In what conditions has your RR been fired? Lastly, I like it how you assume certain things about me and my rifles like what I do or don't do with them.
DaFunk

I've taken out of the crate M-16s and cleaned the cosmoline out, then shot. I see abosolutely nothing that puts then leaps and bounds ahead of the others. In fact, nothing that would even come close to convincing me I MUST have a Colt, etc. JME...

I have used a number of diffferent brands and most of them will serve anyone well regardless of the manufacture. The real difference comes when you start running thousands of rounds throu them a year. The lower priced guns small parts dont hold up. The bolts crack, extractors and springs wear out or break they just cant take the beating of high volume use.

Would I go to a shootout with most any brand that has functioned for me and hasnt shot alot of rounds, yes. I would not go to a shootout with a lower priced gun that has shot alot of rounds and not had critical parts replaced and inspected on a very frequent basis.

If you are going to war I would buy the higher end gun, the small parts just last longer under extreme use. If not buy what you can afford and I am sure you wont wear it out unless you are doing high volume shooting. Its simple as replacing those critical parts with the good stuff. Some guns are built for casual use and some are built to be used everyday and it will be evident which is which.

P.S I just finished building a hunting gun with the cheapest parts I could find other than the barrel which is a Black Hole weaponery and it shoots well under a Minute and functions fine. I am not putting my life on the line with it, to me thats the difference. With AR's accuracy is all in the quality of your barrel, nothing else.

Yoteblaster, that is my point. I dont care what anyone buys, It just bothers me that as a whole the ar community says that all ars are equal and that military spec is only cause to charge more, and then they buy an ar for whatever purpose and secretly think that if things go south that they can use said rifle to protect them. an extra $200 isnt too bad considering. I saw the top delton model with the free float rails etc. msrp at around $1200. I got a similarly equipt rifle made by a top tier company for $300 more. Why buy non spec when I can buy a true known quantity for just that differance? Thats what I don't get

Originally Posted By: BoeydafunkYoteblaster, that is my point. I dont care what anyone buys, It just bothers me that as a whole the ar community says that all ars are equal and that military spec is only cause to charge more, and then they buy an ar for whatever purpose and secretly think that if things go south that they can use said rifle to protect them. an extra $200 isnt too bad considering. I saw the top delton model with the free float rails etc. msrp at around $1200. I got a similarly equipt rifle made by a top tier company for $300 more. Why buy non spec when I can buy a true known quantity for just that differance? Thats what I don't get

I don't understand why some guys pay $1500 for a mil spec AR and secretly think it makes them a gunfighter. That's what I don't get. We ain't doing battle with coyotes and other critters.

Originally Posted By: Boeydafunkthe Big Three chosen by professional gunfighters right now are Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM. e

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: BoeydafunkYoteblaster, that is my point. I dont care what anyone buys, It just bothers me that as a whole the ar community says that all ars are equal and that military spec is only cause to charge more, and then they buy an ar for whatever purpose and secretly think that if things go south that they can use said rifle to protect them. an extra $200 isnt too bad considering. I saw the top delton model with the free float rails etc. msrp at around $1200. I got a similarly equipt rifle made by a top tier company for $300 more. Why buy non spec when I can buy a true known quantity for just that differance? Thats what I don't get

I don't understand why some guys pay $1500 for a mil spec AR and secretly think it makes them a gunfighter. That's what I don't get. We ain't doing battle with coyotes and other critters.

Originally Posted By: Boeydafunkthe Big Three chosen by professional gunfighters right now are Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM. e

LMAO.

My gun does double duty. I call with it, but most of its life it lives in a case in the trunk of a black and white.

This has to be the most ridiculous thread I have read in the AR section.

This is a hunting forum. This is not ARFCOM.

No one on this board needs mil-spec to shoot prairie dogs or coyotes.

I have an Eagle arms/Krieger/Sightron that is a wonderful coyote rifle and is very, very tight. It has tied up in as few as 300 rounds between cleaning. I DON'T CARE!!! I built it tight. It is a sub .5 moa gun. As far as mil-spec? It has a RRA two stage and the rifle has well over 5,000 through the pipe. Could it break a disconnector tomorrow? Sure. Do I give a crap? No, I have a drawer full of lpk's.

What is by my nightstand at night and in the trunk of my wifes patrol car?
Noveske.

mj36639, your comments all over this board are inapropriate and disrespectful, I understand what you are saying concerning mil-spec and rifles built to a standard, that is fine for operators like you and for MarSoc/SpecOps guys like you but we just want to kill prairie dogs dude.

...and the fella having accuracy issues with his DPMS? And you asserting that it is substandard equipment??? ROFLMAO. Get real. My DPMS full floater will shoot CIRCLES around both of my Noveskes and my "Built to a standard/milspec" 16" VLTOR/VIS.

You sir are barking up the wrong tree.

Nightstand=Noveske/VLTOR/LMT/BCM/LWRC/COLT

Calling Stand=What ever you want in what ever cal you want in what ever color you want that shoots how you want.

Do you drive a HUMVEE, or a "Commercial" grade Ford/Chevy/Dodge? How can you trust your life to a commercial grade vehicle???????

What kind of bolt gun do you shoot?
It had better be a 91/44-1903A3-M98 built to "Mil-spec"

Are you picking up what I'm putting down?

Mods, sorry for the rant but this type of condescension really angers me when the mall ninja's come into a hunting forum and start to spout off their "Your stuff is junk" trash.

Yes, mil-spec is the only way to go for a defensive carbine, it is what I use, but it is not needed in the fields of Montana shooting prairie dogs.

Last edited:
Finally some one else is getting it.

You should have been here sooner, we tried to turn the thread into a good one but Grumpy Old Turtle deleted our attemp.
smile.gif

Holy cow what a thread! I feel sorry for the OP. A simple question turned into a Tacticool-Teddy pissing contest. These are the kind of people that watch TAC TV with a big jar of Vaseline.
thumbdown.gif

This is a hunting forum. Find somewhere else to preach your mil-spec, Colt, Daniel Defense is god crap.

My Oly Arms has been a sub MOA shooter out of the box and I can easily cover a 3 shot group with a dime with my reloads.
But according to some, on the 1567th round it will double on me at the range and the ATF will bust down my door and arrest my family and euthanize my dog.
cry.gif

Buy what will fit your needs, but more importantly.....buy what you can afford. Plenty of people are hanging fur and making memories with low budget AR's. I guarantee a dead coyote wont be able to tell the difference.

It certainly wasn't my intention to start a net war on rifles. I don't subscribe to the spray and pray theory of AR shooting plus I hand load using Nosler or Lapua brass so I highly doubt I'll be sending thousands of rounds down range yearly. I'm just looking for a decent AR that is affordable and accurate. I also won't be hanging flashlights or anything other than a bipod on it. I see no need to spend big bucks just so I can claim bragging rights. This is the one I'm thinking about as I really like the light weight. I appreciate everybody's input on this subject.

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Light_Weight_Rifle_p/rftlw16-0.htm

Originally Posted By: TnslimIt certainly wasn't my intention to start a net war on rifles. I don't subscribe to the spray and pray theory of AR shooting plus I hand load using Nosler or Lapua brass so I highly doubt I'll be sending thousands of rounds down range yearly. I'm just looking for a decent AR that is affordable and accurate. I also won't be hanging flashlights or anything other than a bipod on it. I see no need to spend big bucks just so I can claim bragging rights. This is the one I'm thinking about as I really like the light weight. I appreciate everybody's input on this subject.

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Light_Weight_Rifle_p/rftlw16-0.htm

Looks good, it should be all you need. I like the light weight configuration myself.

I've built a few del ton rifle kits...
good stuff..nary a problem.
in fact i shoot my old delton beater .more than my sp~1 colt.
its all good.
enjoy your rifle.

Del-Ton is more than fine for coyote hunting. Buy one and start killing coyotes. Nothing wrong with them at all. Of coarse if you can afford a 1,500 dollar rifle then get it. But a 700 dollar Del-Ton will likely kill just as many coyotes under 300 yards.

MJ366 is a "Tactical College Kid" that professes on other sites. Just skip past the drivel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back