Detection Ranges

fxred

Are all of these ranges (Detection, ID) independently determined? I was just wondering if there is any common ground in the process. ATN, Pulsar, Bering Optics.... Is there a true apples to apples comparison?

I can tell you different companies use different object sizes for these values. Some state human size, some say hog size, and some even use a vehicle.

I will give you an example. I owned a Pulsar Helion XP38. It has a detection range of 1350 meters for a human. The Bering Optics Hogster 35 has a detection range of 750m on a hog and 600m on a coyote. I saw lots of coyotes at way, way past these distances. When used in the field at the same time, the Hogster 35 always could see a coyote 100-200 yards/meters sooner than my Helion XP38 could and the XP38 is rated for 1350m for humans. Granted humans are taller than coyotes, so I am sure that does make a difference but that is a huge difference in rating.

Most decent quality thermals will see objects way further than you could ever think about shooting. IDing them gets tougher as a lot of ID can happen by studying the way an animal moves.

I sent Bering Optics the question to see what their process is if that can help shed some light on the topic.

I really wish there was more consistency. It's one reason I love this forum and the videos posted. I have an ATN Thor 4 7-28 and a Thermion xq 38 and its interesting just to compare them vs the claims.

I think that the claims are very arbitrary. There are just too many variables that come into play when a manufacturer makes a detection claim. Humidity and atmospheric clarity are two factors that have a very significant impact, plus how well one guy can see vs another guy. My main hunting buddy is 30 years younger than I am and he can see and ID a lot farther than I can.
I can pretty consistently ID a canine at about 250+- yds on a very clear night with my Trijicon MK111. On a really bad night in the same field with extreme humidity I might not be able to ID much past 50-75 yds.
There are guys that claim they can ID at 400-500 yds.

Last edited:
What 1trkyhntr said. Looking forward to what Kirsch hears from Bearing optics on how they calculate that distance. Lots of variables to contend with to have any industry standard probably.

Answer from Bering Optics:

In the Night Vision Industry, there is an unwritten rule to estimate recognition and detection ranges for the worst possible conditions and targets. For example, at night, the detection distance to a white target is always 2-3 times greater than the distance to a black target, but we always indicate the distance to the most difficult target of dark color, i.e. to the least noticeable one. These are the requirements of military customers.

There are no calculated distance standards in Thermal imaging. All the distances that Bering Optics uses are measured by us personally. It should be understood that, depending on the observation conditions and the size of the target, detection and recognition can be 2+ times better. It is my obligation to ensure Bering Optics customers that these distances are not WORSE than what we specify in our documents.

There are always companies that will inflate the numbers, but this is not the way in which I am going to develop my business. Perhaps this is not very profitable from a marketing point of view, but I know for sure that no one will say that Bering Optics cheated them.

Thanks for posting that response Kirsch.

Either way, the detection using thermals is awesome pretty much across the board these days.

Back