Disappointed in Hornady SST 20 gauge slugs

Well the BuckHammers were a whole heck of a lot better. Got 4" groups at 100yds. I'm pleased and feel better about hunting Ft. Knox next weekend. I really appreciate all the help and hope I can report back on a nice trophy.

Buckhammer or WW 260 gr Partition Gold shot gr shoot best in my Ultra Slug 20..the WW load sizzles at >1900 fps.

Like you I was disappointed in Hornadys 20 slug offerings..I usually like their stuff but not those.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the Buckhammers shot..if I had tried them first might not have looked further.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunShotguns are for shooting shot.........

Don't limit yourself. 2/3's of Mn is slug only and we got 250,000 deer hunters. Thats alot of slug killed deer.

my savage 20 ga rifle shoots sst ok. havent tried anything else but it shoots groups bout the size of a skoal lid at 100. Savage 220F

Originally Posted By: Tjkillermy savage 20 ga rifle shoots sst ok. havent tried anything else but it shoots groups bout the size of a skoal lid at 100. Savage 220F

There are some test results listed on the internet that were done with this slug gun.... you can do a search.

The best slugs used with the Savage 220 were (#1) The Federal with the Barnes Bullet slugs, (#2) was the Remington slug with the Accu-Tip... I believe they were grouping very well at 200 yds.

Just to chime in on an older thread.

My H&R shot the Lightfields best (1.25 five shots @ 100yds), but I was having to pass alot of shots due to range. I switched to SST's which gave me 1.5 @ 100yds. I could cover both at 200 yds with my hand (about 3-3.5").

I have shot and killed deer with both and have not had any problems yet with killing power. My wife calls the gun the "Meat Bringer" and my in-laws call it the "Sniper Shotgun"

My average killing distance with the LightFields was around 100yds with 22 deer down. My average with the SST's is 140yds with 39 deer down. I have killed as far as 226yds with it (went through a little deer from front and exited just infront of the hip). Last weekend I dropped 3 with it 128, 137, and 186 yards.

I'd say this gun and the SST's are just fine. However, tomorrow I get to go help a friend with his as he says he can't get it to hit right. Since he bought it on my recomendation, I will figure it out for him and we will be hunting tomorrow evening. I only have one tag left, but he has 6 to fill.

Last edited:
I just bought a Savage 220 and it did not shoot the sst worth a darn, tried the accu-tips and they shot excellent. We shot the sst in a friends mossberg and they shot very good so at least I have a place to get rid of the 8 boxes of sst I have sitting here.

Not impressed with them out of my savage 220. The 3" remington acutips shot a little under a 3/4" group at a 100 yards. The sst''s were closer to a 3" plus group.

Back