Does the Foxpro Work? Is it worth the money?

R15 Predator

I have called fox for over 20 years now with great success. I started out with the Johnny Stewart Tape player and used those for about 15 years. I switched to the Johnny Stewart Preymaster and it worked well with the exception that the sound only plays for a minute or a minute and a half....problem was that I would have something coming in and getting ready to shoot and it would stop playing....I would have to handle the remote again, fumble with the light (I hunt at night) and try to find the eyes again.

I finally "upgraded" to a foxpro FX3 and I have called in NOTHING since. When I say nothing I mean not a thing. I have had years that I killed in excess of 70 fox with the tape player and now that I have supposedly superior equipment I am getting nothing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

On another note, to my ears the foxpro does not sound as good as the Johnny Stewart metal speakers do but I am not a fox either.

Exactly the same experience Ive had. My JS would bring the yotes in all the time but the FP had very poor success rate. Whenever I used the FP I had to mix my mouth blown calls in with it to atract anything.
Im still using my JS with great luck but got rid of the FP years ago. I am getting ready to invest in a WT system in the neer future, I hope it does what the FP didnt.

I started with a JS tape player and called in foxs and killed them. Then I upgraded to a FX3 and only killed with the JS sounds that I put in them and that were the only sounds that I killed foxs and coyotes with them sounds. Now I just invested in a WT caller and only had it out on two stands so far. But I like the sounds that it produces and the volume of the MT-15.

I am on WT's website and on AllPredatorCalls.com and I see the KAS-2030MS what is the difference betweent the MA15 and this one?

Last edited:
Two years ago during the 2007/2008 season I used a Foxpro FX5 for the first time. For the previous 22 years I had used a Burnham Brothers and Johnny Stewart cassette callers. That first season of using my Foxpro FX5 we got 97 coyotes over that FX5 caller. The coyote population that season was very high and I was having fun playing with my new FX5 caller. I was surprised that during the second year of a drought that there was that many coyotes.

Last season, the 2008/2009 season we only got 16 coyotes and this season the fourth year of no rain, we have only got 16 coyotes so far.

The coyote population is way down. Last season and this season there were no coyote pups to speak of.

I am glad I got my first Foxpro during a great season or I might be wondering what is going on with my results these last two seasons.

The Foxpro will work but the WT will work ALOT(And I mean ALOT) better!
At least it has for me.
And I have every brand made.
Have used the FP's for several years with mixed results.
Been using the WT for 3 yrs now
Now I will be using the WT for the rest of my life as there is nothing out there better.

If you aren't having as much luck it sure isn't because of the equipment, that is most likely a fact.

While there are several very good quality electronic call manufacturers out there it should tell you something that the vast majority of the calls on the market are foxpro and most of the owners are repeat customers. With that said you will see people here who kill predators on a daily basis with all of the major brands, homemade electronic calls, custom hand calls, production hand calls and everything between. In fact a good “hunter” can kill predators with just about anything you put in front of him and in my experience the foxpro has performed as well as any brand that has graced my hunting set-ups.

These conversations do however have to make you a little skeptical about someone who is short sighted enough as to completely discount a particular brand and proclaim that they are ineffective…

Originally Posted By: cbosshog79If you aren't having as much luck it sure isn't because of the equipment, that is most likely a fact.

While there are several very good quality electronic call manufacturers out there it should tell you something that the vast majority of the calls on the market are foxpro and most of the owners are repeat customers. With that said you will see people here who kill predators on a daily basis with all of the major brands, homemade electronic calls, custom hand calls, production hand calls and everything between. In fact a good “hunter” can kill predators with just about anything you put in front of him and in my experience the foxpro has performed as well as any brand that has graced my hunting set-ups.

These conversations do however have to make you a little skeptical about someone who is short sighted enough as to completely discount a particular brand and proclaim that they are ineffective…

Well, Ive never called in a coyote using my truck horn.
All Im saying is that I have better luck using my mouth blown calls or my JS than I did with my FP. My ears are about shot out and I could hear the noise difference between them.
Ive only taken 19 coyotes so far this year but in my defence, Ive only been able to hunt two 4 day weekends so far.Thats more than I took the whole season I was using my FP.

cbosshog79, it seems you are trying to say I am not a good hunter. Why don't you bring your butt to Virginia and show me how it is done?

If you don't have something constructive to say why don't you hop on over to another thread.

I too can hear the difference between my foxpro and my 3 old Johnny Stewarts. The foxpro does not sound as clean or as clear.

Originally Posted By: R15 Predatorcbosshog79, it seems you are trying to say I am not a good hunter. Why don't you bring your butt to Virginia and show me how it is done?

If you don't have something constructive to say why don't you hop on over to another thread.

I too can hear the difference between my foxpro and my 3 old Johnny Stewarts. The foxpro does not sound as clean or as clear.

No sir, I didn't mean to imply that at all. My point was to say that the brand of call you use doesn’t have as much to do with success as some people think. There is most likely a completely different reason for a lack of success, in fact it is likely just that you are going through a dry spell. There could be something else regarding your sets, wind, visibility, sound selection, etc… but everyone has dry spells from time to time and that is normal.

We have been in New Mexico the past few days hunting and had an opportunity to listen to Jeff and Todd from Predator Pursuit as well as a few other very well known names. The reason I bring up Jeff and Todd is that during the round table discussion they mentioned having a dry spell that lasted something like 30+ stands while putting together their second video. We all know they can call predators and do so on a very consistent basis. These guys could have looked at the situation and figured that not seeing anything was because they switched from a Remington to a DPMS, from one camo brand to another, or any other variable but that most likely isn’t the culprit. Hunting is hunting and most people don’t call something in every time they blow a call or push a button, that’s just the way it is. I simply prefer the attitude that I have a general idea of what works and even if I don’t get something in on every stand my only real barrier to success is getting out and trying again.

Speaking of the sound quality, Byron South made a funny comment about that. He mentioned having a conversation with Johnny Stewart about sound recording. I don't remember exactly what he said but the general premise was that Mr. Stewart made a comment that we get quite a few opportunities to get a rabbit distress sound correct while a rabbit only gets one. His point was that some of the sounds rabbits make wouldn’t be suitable to put on a call but they are truly more authentic than what we can do and in the end a coyote doesn’t really discriminate. With that said, if you have a sound quality issue I would contact foxpro and I’m fairly sure that they would take a look at the problem.

Don’t take my comments as discounting your skills, it certainly isn’t my intention! Also, I am making a post or two during a 14 hour commute so I might not be as clear and concise as I would normally be. In any regard, I'm not trying to start a pissing match and I appologize if I had a poor choice of words.

I missed a fox so I'm going to get a new gun. I'm sorry it just seems silly to blame the caller. I'm sure I'll get insults or some type of verbal attack but that's just how it comes off when I read the thread. Go ahead attack me. I won't be checking back so Its in vain.

BradmHendrickson, I will PM you also so don't worry about not checking back. Why leave a stupid comment like you did? Did you even take time to read my post?

Was I slamming foxpro? No I didn't but I am glad that some people got on here and gave an actual opinion which you did not. You gave nothing constructive what so ever. Oh....and by the way, when you shoot a Benelli you never blame the gun!

Maybe I should have added that I have used the foxpro for about three months now with no results. I switched back to the johnny stewart tape player and killed 2 grey fox the first night.

Cbosshog79...I might have a defective caller as the sounds just don't sound good at all. I have killed over 500 fox and several bobcat over the last 20 years so I know somewhat what I am doing. I do know that I have to pay more attention to wind and scent than I used to. There are a lot more callers out here now educating the fox.

No your call isnt defective,it does what it was made to do.
The problem lies with there sounds,NOT UP TO SNUFF!
Once you hear a WT you will understand.
As they say (The proof is in the pudding)

Mrgunslinger, I sold my foxpro on ebay today. I will order the Wildlife Technology tomorrow if they are open. Do you order straight from the manufacturer?

The Mark II sounds are better than their originals, but when I had an FX5 and Scorpion, I preferred using the JS sounds that I loaded on them from the JS CDs. The part I really disliked on the FX5 and the Scorpion was the remote. Unless it was propped up and/or you held the remote up high, it wouldn't work at 40/50 yards. I don't know how many times I had to walk back to the caller to prop it up higher when there was no tree or brush in the area. A couple of times I was about ready to leave caller there. Their callers are solid well built units, but their remotes, even if feature loaded, just tick me off. I had not one issue with either the WT 2030MS or the Compucaller III remotes out in the field. You could bury their callers and the remote would probably still work.

Back