Dogs, and rattle snakes

Just your wife or you too?
tt2.gif

I have defanged many a snake, WITH A SHOVEL!!!!!!

Duanne, you really must have a set that CLANKS WHEN YOU WALK. Brass cojones if you get what I am saying. I would just as soon get a bull snake cuz they his and it sounds just like a rattler.

I don't know why guys think this is a big deal.
I don't wanna get bit by anything, not to mention a snake.
I just be careful, and get the job done.
The pay off is, no snake bit dogs for a long time.

i use dex on my terriers if they get busted up bad. use it sparingly, it's hard on there kidneys and immume system.but on the other side of the coin better than a dead dog.

Wouldn't any large aggressive snake do? I don't see why the snake would have to be venomous in order to do the job. Maybe a big bullsnake or black rat snake or whatever, to a dog wouldn't a snake be a snake? I know the title says "rattlesnake" but not all bad snakes have rattles.

I like the idea of the shock collar to defuzz dogs from getting into snakes. I'll bet it would work on Porqupines as well?

I am not so hot on catching a live rattler, defanging it and taping it's head up.

I'm all for dog safety ... but I'd probably try a bull snake instead!

My rattler tool of choice is made by Ames ...... a sharp shovel.

I am going to look into the vaccine .... and that Dex would be good .... but my wife would not sit still without a trip to the vet for our dogs .......

...... and I'm lousy at hitting veins for IV's .... ticks me off to!

How about cutting the rattles off and taping them on a paint shaker and covering with a blanket ... then bustin' the dogs with a shock collar?

Three 44s

Last edited:
Glad we don't have many of the bad kind in this area, mostly the little nuisance ones and then just go get the Schnauzer and let him have at it, he hates snakes. Budro the Cur found a garter snake and just stayed back and sniffed it and danced around, I suppose that's the first snake he has seen. I went and got the Schnauzer and it was over in a second.
The Schnauzer is an inside dog so he does not get to find too many of them and being in the city helps.
You guys in the SW gotta watch your step huh?
Rick H...

I've had lots of hunting dogs here in az. Snake Avoidance is the way to go. snakes do have a 2nd set of fangs. They drop down in abount a hour. I know of some guys that wait. Most tape the mouth shut. The sanke vaccine was developed for western diamondbacks az. has about 13 speces of rattlesnakes lots of vets. here don't have the vaccine. Just my thoughts on it. I've run dogs in in tne desert for about 35 years.

CAN'T PASS UP TALKING ABOUT SNAKES WITHOUT TELLING THIS STORY.4 BUDDIES AS WILD AS THE RANGE WHERE WE LIVED'ALL OF WHOM HANDLED RATTLERS[IT WAS A PROOF OF MANHOOD THING]NOW THE STOY ONE RATTLER IN A GALLON JAR ALONG WITH 4 HEATHENS IN A 2 DR SEDAN.NOW THIS CREW CAME APON A 3 SOME OF FINE LOOKING GIRLS AN THE 2 IN BACK SEAT WITH THE SNAKE DESIDED WE SHOULD SHOW THESE FOXES HOW BRAVE WE WERE HAVING CAUGHT THIS SNAKE AN PUT HIM IN THE JAR.EVERY THING WAS GOING FINE THE GIRLS WERE DULLY IMPRESSED,UNTLL THE DUMMY HOLDING THE JAR DESIDED THE SNAKE NEEDED AIR AN CRACKED OPEN THE LID,OUT CAME SAID SNAKE FOLLOWED BY 4 BOYS 2 OUT DOORS OTHER 2 OUT BACK WINDOWS THEN THE SNAKE WHO PROMPLY DISAPEARED IN A STORM DRAIN.THERE STOOD 4 SHAMED FACED GUYS WATCHING 3 GIRLS STILL LAUGHING AS THEY DISAPEARED AROUND THE CORNER.EVERY ONE IN SCHOOL KNEW ABOUT IT WHEN WE SHOWED UP ON MONDAY.

I shock em off also. Had a 2 foot rattler in one of my dogpens ths mornin and both dogs were at the oppasite end raisein holy [beeep] so i got the snake killed and no dogs bit so i was happy.
Steve

I never thought of shocking them over snakes but think I will this year.
There are so many copperheads around here that its a wonder my hounds dont get bitten in the pens.

with dex also u need to be careful on how old the dog is not good for young dogs or extremely old dogs either. but it is kind of a kill or cure deal. which is going to be worse the wound or the cure. on another note have some friends from south texas and they said they always kept basset hounds around for snake dogs for the kids any one ever heard of this before.

I've always heard that you need to use the snakes with venom to train the dogs because they smell different than a bull,rat,garder snake.So you don't want your dog to be curious about the different smelling snake.

I have used the shocking collar to de-snake many dogs.Had a bird do get bit by a five footer a couple yrs back. Took us 14 minutes to get the bite treated with a stun gun. Hit her about 5 times on the back leg. Fang marks over an inch apart. Slight swelling the second day and no visual signs of a bite on the third day. the first old timers used spark plug wires on the bite. Have heard of a few vets who endorse the method. Still would rather use prevention rather than treatment.My beagles get bit on the face occasionally.

I Usually Only Sit and Read All the Great Post's Here Every Night.........
However , I would Like to Share a Little Story with all of you if I May.............
In 1982 , I Was Bit by a Mojave Rattler while living in Arizona........I was given ALL the Anti-venom shot's that were recommended at That time.......
7 years ago , I had a Shoulder Replacement...........17 weeks ago....They went into the joints on my Foot and Ground down all my Toe Joint's Because The Venom to this Day Is Still Destroying the Cartilage in my Body.......
BE EXTEMLY CAREFULL AROUND ALL SNAKES !

I was hunting today I crossed a big dry wash and I dang near stepped on one. I had to keep my dog off of it crazy what a little electricity will do. I pinned it head down and cut it off.
Mike

Bringing an old topic back to life.

I bought a pup from Tim Mix 3 yrs ago and she got bit in the face on july 3rd after the vet was closed. They had after hrs phone assistance. Since the dog is currant with her snake shots i was told to give her a cple benadyl twice a day. Her face and under her neck swelled up bad with in a few hrs. She was pretty sluggish for a cple days, then this morning (4 days later) it was like nothing had happened, swelling gone and chipper as can be. I'll take her in to get checked out monday morn anyway. They say antibiotics might be in line.
She's really turned out to be a good dog !

Last summer in S. Arizona I had a stray cat show up with a bunch of kittens. The kittens started playing around under my mobile home and rattlesnakes began crawling out all over. The first night it began I heard the dogs baying up something in the yard, ran out in my underwear and they were in a semi-circle around it barking, I grabbed a shovel and wacked it. Went to bed and 4 hours later I heard the dogs again, ran out with a flashlight and another big Mojave was slithering towards a barrel and my stag was trying to grab it's tail. I wacked that one. Next night I heard the dogs again, ran out and there was another big Mojave between the dog houses, I yanked a house to the side and chopped the snake. Then the next day the dogs started fussing again and I killed one under the swamp cooler. Few days later the, same scenario, I ran outside and the dogs had killed a diamondback, somehow they didn't get bit even though I could see blood on the Airedales side where he had slung it from side to side and it had whipped against him. Next day, believe it or not, the 3 month old kittens killed a small(about a foot long) diamondback.Another rattler was buzzing under my porch, nuthin I could do. This is 7 rattlers in 4-5 day period, three of them large, fat Mojaves(20 times the toxicity). I swear it's all true and was a big factor in why I'm no longer living there. Mike B.

Back