Don't fix what's not broke! Bass Pro's Gator blackout SS!!

Dultimatpredator

I am excited to see Bass Pro fixed the issue I was having with the current gator 100's. I called and emailed them about the new cut on contact tip several times of how they kept breaking and bending and told them they needed to bring back the old chisel tip. When I first started using them in the late 90's the broad head had a little silver chisel tip for a point. If I made a bad shot and backboned a deer it dropped them on the spot. Then the company went to the wimpy cut on contact blade that 99 percent of the time bent or broke off instead of penetrating bone. I wish I could make perfect shots 100 percent of the time but we all know that's not possible. Well the new gator blackout ss is getting me excited since it has a chisel type tip and is all stainless steel construction so even if I end up making a backbone shot by accident I feel confident this tip will hold up. The only thing I can't understand is why they didn't make the blades 2" like they have in the past. I have liked these tips in the past being the blades open from the rear....way less possibility for deflection and the way it's designed the blades can fold back in to go around bone instead of deflecting. I was leaning towards the rage hypodermic till I saw these yesterday. I'll be ordering a couple packs on payday.

14879216305_33c80ea69c.jpg

Last edited:
Update... I shot two deer last year with these. No to little blood trail and it looked as if the broadhead never expaned. It seemed as if the screw holding in blades was too tight not letting them swing open on impact. I don't recommend them.

I've always bee intrigues by the mechanicals due to their ability to fly like a field tip. Wiht the distances we shoot out west, they HAVE to fly straight the whole way. I just have never had the confidence to use one on an animal. I have tried several in practice, but just can't do it.

With a properly tuned bow my montecs fly perfectly straight and have never let me down. They are spendy though. I hate flinging them at coyotes.

I know mechanicals have improved dramatically over the years, I seem to remember a time when they were held closed with a rubber band that looked like it came from my kids Ortho. Just never felt confident enough in them to try. I'll stick with my Montecs, fly close to my field points and will bust the bones.

Mechanicals or fixed heads you should still tune your bow. A lot of people screw on mechs because they dont know how to tune. This is where bareshaft tuning shines, get a bareshaft hitting with a fletched at 20yds and any broadhead will be dam close, might need a rest bump a little if shooting a fixed head.

I was interested in trying the NAP slingblade this year but on NAP's sight they dont list replacement blades. Looking at them online I cant tell if they have a screw on one side that hold the blades in or what. All pics are from the one side. There are only a few mechs I would consider, I dont like over the top, they seem to rob a lot of energy.

Back