Eastern Cougar

Spaltz of the Eastern Cougar Foundation wants to reintroduce cougars and wolves to the eastern forest. Oh boy...
frown.gif

Too many deer! Now I know why hunters see a couple deer in Pa, no Mt. Lions. A couple is lots in some peoples' thinking, if the if the same three deer run back pass the hunter that counts as six. I think they should be brought back to help control the tree huggers that prowl the woods freely and mess up my hunting set-up. Are Mt.Lions easier to call in than coyotes? If so, back that truck up right here!

They still won't be legal to hunt until there is a season on them. But maybe you won't get in trouble if you shoot one to protect yourself/property.

Originally Posted By: Marlin 25-36They still won't be legal to hunt until there is a season on them. But maybe you won't get in trouble if you shoot one to protect yourself/property.

There will never be a season on them in NY or any of the eastern states. They wont be reintroducing them either read what they said. They make a great point there has NEVER been a cat hit on the road or caught on trail cameras. No cats simple as that
thumbup1.gif

Since they "no longer exist" according to the experts, then I shouldn't be fined or imprisoned if I happen to kill one. After all, it shouldn't be illegal to hunt for something that is "clearly" not in Georgia. However, the way just about every state designs their game laws, if it isn't listed in the book, then you can't do it.

There was one hit by a car in Kentucky a few years ago. They did DNA and it was a cross of North American and South American.
The report didn't say there were No cougars, just that they are Not the protected sub species if there is one around.
There could be male dispersers anywhere, they like to travel.

The South American is most likely from the pet market - many "pet" cougars (that eventually get dumped into the wild when people get tired of feeding them about a cow a month) are snuck into the states from South America. It's easier to trap them down there and get them thru political boundaries from down that way. Google it.

her in iowa it is legal to shoot them because they have no season they arent recognized as being a species i would take it as being the same. there was a bear shot her a couple years ago and there is not a bear season but its legal no different that shooting someones elk that got out

Every spring and summer here,people spot mt lions everywhere.None have been spotted in the last three winters though.I find it strange that winter sightings don't happen.They would be easy to see against the snow.This makes me believe that some white lies and story stretching is going on.Like making a bobcat a mt lion.This being said,my girlfriends sister has a 2 minute film of one crossing her yard.I have never seen the movie,just one or two frames.It is a cat of some kind.I'll see if she will send it to me.

I live in Virginia I deer hunt in the mountains. Alot of locals that live there have seen mountain lions.Seen a picture of 1 dead on rt29 in Amherst Co. There has been 3 sightings by members in my hunting club in Nelson Co. I seen a Mt Lion in Culpeper/Madison Co line this past summer at night time, and 3 others with me. We got a good look, and it was a mt lion. I dont believe all of these cats didnt escape captivity! I use to do alot of coon hunting. Still have friends in eastern Ky and western Va, and they said they have treed mt lions several times.

Here in Georgia, just about every land owner I've spoken to has a story about seeing a panther. About 20 years ago, I was scanning a field with a spot light on my families 100 acres and saw a set of eyes that appeared to be about 6 feet in the air. My first thought was "It's one of the cows or horses that have gotten into the lower field". I walked out behind the barn for a better angle and turned the light back on, sweeping the same section of the field. I noticed that whatever it was, was sitting on top of a round hay bale that was located next to the woodline, over looking the field. Then my thought was "coyote" or "bobcat". I lowered the halo to get a better view and was shocked to see what appeared to be a huge panther slowly stand up on the hay bale, then jump off and walk into the woods. Needless to say, that gave me hesitation to go out hunting on my tract of land for quiet a while.

I never did see it again, nor did I ever see any tracks. I have however in the years since then heard piercing screams every now and then on several properties I hunt, all of which are at night.

DNR and others here in Georgia can say what they want, but we do have a small (but active) Florida panther population that has migrated north. I'm fully aware that they are federally protected and I have no desire to ever put one down. However, if I'm hunting and I see one that is showing too much interest in me, I'm putting rounds out. The scary thing is, that if one is showing a lot of interest in me, I'll probably never know it until I'm being dragged off, never to be heard from again.

I know for a fact they are here in Va. About a year ago while working on clearing some land to build my home, I saw one on my property. I told a few people that live around me and they though I was crazy. Now a few neighbors and friends in the area have also seen them more recently.

I know a couple DNR field people here in Michigan and they do exsist here even though the DNR denies it in the lower peninsula . One struck by a vehicle in Southwestern Michigan had the DNA of the cats from the Dakotas as they have told me . They are here and sighted throught the state on rare ocassions by citizens and even local law enforcement officers , but the DNR says they do not exist here . They will not admit that there is a small breeding population in our state .

why wouldnt the admit it??? lets see, if they admitted it they could probably get funding to study it, protect it....................dont admit it, theres no money to study it..........since it doesent exist there...........and think if something happens like an attack and it comes out that the state was "hiding" the fact that ther were there..........thats just reeking of lawsuits

But I know, your cousins brothers great uncle talked to an unnamed conservation officer that said they are there
smile.gif

I remember a few years ago in the Va. game regulation booklet it had a part in there that said there are no mountain lions in Va. Next sentence said it was unlawful to shoot or harass mountain lions. go figure

Originally Posted By: waterweaslewhy wouldnt the admit it??? lets see, if they admitted it they could probably get funding to study it, protect it....................dont admit it, theres no money to study it..........since it doesent exist there...........and think if something happens like an attack and it comes out that the state was "hiding" the fact that ther were there..........thats just reeking of lawsuits

But I know, your cousins brothers great uncle talked to an unnamed conservation officer that said they are there
smile.gif
I have no reason to repeat something that I do not believe to be true . I have known both field officers for several years and when the cat was struck by the car a couple years back it was a big find for the DNR after reported sightings over many months in that area . The DNR took the body and did the DNA testing . They get isolated reported sightings throught the state .

Back