Everyone’s thoughts on bipods/shooting sticks.

I’ve been using the Pole cat shooting sticks for years. I think Primos bought them out a few years ago.

I usually use a small stool like 1996 when daytime hunting. Mine will adjust taller if sitting on a stool or shorter if sitting flat in the ground. They are light and functional when walking in an out of stands all day.

When hunting at night or needing a little sturdier rest if use the Bog Pod tripod.

At night I and usually standing on the tall sticks. They are still plenty light. Most of my calling requires walking away from the truck some distance. I use these for thermal hog hunts as well.

The locking grips on the tripods (which I don’t have) are nice but add weight and price.
I’ll give those a look too then! Thanks for your input!!!

I think mine are actually the short ones. They will adjust long enough for a short chair, stool but not enough to stand.

They must have changed them up when Primos bought them. The shorts at the link extend to 38 inches. Mine extend to 43 inches and only have 2 sections and not 3z

Last edited:
I'll use tripod, bipod and shooting sticks. All of them can work well, you just need to figure out what works best for you. It really depends on the stand and the gun for me. In most situations I'm slightly more steady with bipod or tripod than shooting sticks. I find it easier to adjust shooting sticks when a coyote comes in from an unexpected angle.

Mine are actually Stoney Point. I think they were bought out by Primos because the only Stoney Point bipods I can find on line are “discontinued “ and Primose pole cars come up in the search

I have a set of the old Stoney Point ones too. Mine has a leg you can attach to one of the bipod stanchions and use it like a tripod. When I use it, it is normally in bipod mode.

I really don't have a problem with Harris bipods. For me, making sure I have room to swing them 180 without snagging sage or bushes when I set up is key. I also set them lower than normal so it reduces the chances of something coming in fast getting under them. I lost a fox that came in close and quick, I couldn't aim the gun low enough to get a shot because they were too high. Now I run them lower. It's easy to scrunch down and make a normal shot with them set low.

Guess it all depends on what type of hunting you do and your terrain.
I had a BogPod DeathGrip and it was great…just too dang heavy.
Went with the Trigger stick tripod and it’s lightweight and fits my style.
We have a lot of brush to contend with so standing is your only option. I move a lot so the weight of it is perfect. Heck I even have my thermal on a bolt gun for weight purposes.

Guess it all depends on what type of hunting you do and your terrain.
I had a BogPod DeathGrip and it was great…just too dang heavy.
Went with the Trigger stick tripod and it’s lightweight and fits my style.
We have a lot of brush to contend with so standing is your only option. I move a lot so the weight of it is perfect. Heck I even have my thermal on a bolt gun for weight purposes.
I’ve got 5 or 6 new rests at my house now. Going to try some tripods, sticks, and some other bipods. Whatever fits the best. I’ve tried all the fixed bipods made Im fairly sure, so it’ll be nice to try something different

I switched to a swagger bipod this year when I set up a new savage in 22-250…. The maneuverability is mind blowing . They are light and easily pack into my bag from stand to stand …. Last week I shot a big female all I had was her neck and head sticking up from behind a knoll…. I swung the gun down on her felt rock steady and squeezed one off . She dropped rite there . I ranged her and she laid at 177 yards and I put my 50 grain v max in her ear and out the backside . Before having that bipod I don’t think I’d ever think about taking that shot never mind actually taking and making it ! Check out the qd 42 from swagger … I also like that I just buy the qd clip for all my rifles now have one solid set of quick sticks for all my hunting needs

I switched to a swagger bipod this year when I set up a new savage in 22-250…. The maneuverability is mind blowing . They are light and easily pack into my bag from stand to stand …. Last week I shot a big female all I had was her neck and head sticking up from behind a knoll…. I swung the gun down on her felt rock steady and squeezed one off . She dropped rite there . I ranged her and she laid at 177 yards and I put my 50 grain v max in her ear and out the backside . Before having that bipod I don’t think I’d ever think about taking that shot never mind actually taking and making it ! Check out the qd 42 from swagger … I also like that I just buy the qd clip for all my rifles now have one solid set of quick sticks for all my hunting needs

Wow that is neat! Nice shooting, congrats!

I have used sticks for so long it's almost second nature
I made mine and have used them for all my hunting deer/ coyotes where I sit on the ground or not in a elevated stand
once you get the hang of using them it's easy

I have used sticks for so long it's almost second nature
I made mine and have used them for all my hunting deer/ coyotes where I sit on the ground or not in a elevated stand
once you get the hang of using them it's easy
+1
I also find sticks much handier than bipods for the following reasons:
1) Do not add weight/bulk to your rifle making it much more maneuverable than a rifle encumbered w/bipod.
2) Easier to quickly shift side to side when called for, especially in tall grass or undergrowth.
3) Easy to drop free of rifle by simply releasing grip on sling/sticks.
4) As bob123 stated, once you get the hang of them, they are as steady as a bipod.

A couple of tricks to bringing shooter/rifle/sticks together to form a very stable shooting platform:
1) A simple loop in your sling, hung over one leg of your sticks, keeps rifle from sliding should you need to release grip on rifle momentarily or use a two handed grip on rifle as preferred w/the AR.
1707070515844.jpeg

2) Grasp the sling and sticks with your (weak) hand and pull rifle/sticks into your shoulder while leaning into the sticks makes for near sandbag solid position in the field. Can be accomplished from sitting or standing positions (shown below) w/correct length of sticks. You can lift sticks and rifle as a unit to swing left or right, or simply release grasp of sticks and lift rifle for more drastic shifts and sticks will fall free. The loop allows very solid two hand grasp, especially on AR.

1707070863794.jpeg

Sticks also very handy to prod undesirable critters out of your path in high grass and can even double as an impromptu target frame in the field when needed.
1707071575377.jpeg
1707071635409.jpeg

1707071742367.jpeg
1707071804343.jpeg

ETA: I prefer my (solid) home made sticks (see post #24 @ link below) to store bought (telescoping) sticks, as I once had a very bad experience off of a guide's (loaned) sticks when one leg collapsed just as my shot broke. No such issues w/solid sticks and since I almost always hunt the same three ranches with which I am completely familiar, I know whether the stand(s) call for sitting or standing sticks before leaving the jeep.
Like to Make Your Own Hunting Gear?

Last edited:
My personal Bi-pod use . I always take and shoot a stand at night off Tripod for most part. but still carry Bipod out 99% of the time anyway.

l walk out at night. I always have one of the two ( Harris extra-tall/swivel ), that are on QD set-up for one AR and one Boltrifle.
I rarely ever leave without one connected, as I can just make a quick drop and sit to shoot if spotting a dog walking IN to a set-up, and then walking back Out to vehicle . Or if I choose just a quick setting-up to call on a stand low and sitting, when making game plans for a set-up, on the fly .

Out of the box... Harris extra-tall Bi-pods SUCK for Stealth Quiet shooting at Night .
They RATTLE with internal leg take-up springs, and TWANG when pulling legs up/down with the big outer springs. They are for FACT an Absolute ShitShow at Night with giving your position away with Rattling when Up or Extended, and also when your shuffling the Bipod across the ground maneuvering to take a shot at Night.
So This---> Years ago I learned to keep the Harris Bipods ' Quiet '.
I immediately when getting them many years back. I disassembled and removed the internal Leg Springs. Then I Duck Tape wrapped around the 2 Left/Right side outer leg-springs to muffle them also. They always stay pretty quiet now threw all situations, and helped drop a lot of dogs over the years.

My personal Bi-pod use . I always take and shoot a stand at night off Tripod for most part. but still carry Bipod out 99% of the time anyway.

l walk out at night. I always have one of the two ( Harris extra-tall/swivel ), that are on QD set-up for one AR and one Boltrifle.
I rarely ever leave without one connected, as I can just make a quick drop and sit to shoot if spotting a dog walking IN to a set-up, and then walking back Out to vehicle . Or if I choose just a quick setting-up to call on a stand low and sitting, when making game plans for a set-up, on the fly .

Out of the box... Harris extra-tall Bi-pods SUCK for Stealth Quiet shooting at Night .
They RATTLE with internal leg take-up springs, and TWANG when pulling legs up/down with the big outer springs. They are for FACT an Absolute ShitShow at Night with giving your position away with Rattling when Up or Extended, and also when your shuffling the Bipod across the ground maneuvering to take a shot at Night.
So This---> Years ago I learned to keep the Harris Bipods ' Quiet '.
I immediately when getting them many years back. I disassembled and removed the internal Leg Springs. Then I Duck Tape wrapped around the 2 Left/Right side outer leg-springs to muffle them also. They always stay pretty quiet now threw all situations, and helped drop a lot of dogs over the years.
Great ideas

+1
I also find sticks much handier than bipods for the following reasons:
1) Do not add weight/bulk to your rifle making it much more maneuverable than a rifle encumbered w/bipod.
2) Easier to quickly shift side to side when called for, especially in tall grass or undergrowth.
3) Easy to drop free of rifle by simply releasing grip on sling/sticks.
4) As bob123 stated, once you get the hang of them, they are as steady as a bipod.

A couple of tricks to bringing shooter/rifle/sticks together to form a very stable shooting platform:
1) A simple loop in your sling, hung over one leg of your sticks, keeps rifle from sliding should you need to release grip on rifle momentarily or use a two handed grip on rifle as preferred w/the AR.
View attachment 5744
2) Grasp the sling and sticks with your (weak) hand and pull rifle/sticks into your shoulder while leaning into the sticks makes for near sandbag solid position in the field. Can be accomplished from sitting or standing positions (shown below) w/correct length of sticks. You can lift sticks and rifle as a unit to swing left or right, or simply release grasp of sticks and lift rifle for more drastic shifts and sticks will fall free. The loop allows very solid two hand grasp, especially on AR.

View attachment 5745

Sticks also very handy to prod undesirable critters out of your path in high grass and can even double as an impromptu target frame in the field when needed.
View attachment 5747View attachment 5748
View attachment 5749View attachment 5750
ETA: I prefer my (solid) home made sticks (see post #24 @ link below) to store bought (telescoping) sticks, as I once had a very bad experience off of a guide's (loaned) sticks when one leg collapsed just as my shot broke. No such issues w/solid sticks and since I almost always hunt the same three ranches with which I am completely familiar, I know whether the stand(s) call for sitting or standing sticks before leaving the jeep.
Like to Make Your Own Hunting Gear?
Love it

I haven't read all of this thread. When calling predators I prefer to stand with a pair of sticks set up for that

Never used a bipod but for most of my hunting uses I don't think having one attached to the rifle would work for me

Think it really comes down to how you typically like to set up for a stand

Looks like you have plenty of shooting lanes from sitting position. Use shooting sticks and once you get used to them, every thing else will feel inadequate. My longest shots in field are 800, 632 running and 575, and plenty others closer. If you're shooting 400 plus, you need a capable rifle, an accurate bullet loaded, min .5 moa, and the nut on the trigger adjusted correctly (lol). Best wishes!

Back