FAVORITE 223 POWDER????

I went to stock up on powder some time ago already about when it was about to hit the fan,
knowing that it would not get any better powder wise and my favorites are nowhere to be found.

So I ended up with a bunch of AA 2230 for 223. Has anyone found some good
loads with 2230 and 55 v-max, 53 gr match hp's, 55gr Noslers, 55 Hornady sp's etc.?

My standard loads used to be around 24.5 H-335 or 23.3 AA 2015 with all these bullets. Never had any
problem using just the one charge weight with both powders.

watch out for the load data put out by AA2230 as it is HOTTER than He11. A few years ago I loaded up some 50 grain bullets,below max , and they were 22-250 speeds with blown primers and stretched primer pockets. Just start low and work up slowly is what I'm saying.

Originally Posted By: Bearwatch out for the load data put out by AA2230 as it is HOTTER than He11. A few years ago I loaded up some 50 grain bullets,below max , and they were 22-250 speeds with blown primers and stretched primer pockets. Just start low and work up slowly is what I'm saying. Just doing cases now have not tried any powder yet, thanks for the heads up! AA Western powder data site has anywhere from 23 to around 25grs with assorted 55gr bullets. Looking for somewhat of a standard
easy going load so I can load several different type bullets and not have to keep looking for blown primers & overloads with everything I use.

Like with H 335 I pretty much just used 24.5grs under many different 55gr bullets, sure I keep my eyes open when first trying out a new bullet, but never had a problem, same with AA 2015.

Will keep my eyes peeled with 2230 for a while then, thanks again.

Last edited:
Back