Favorite cleaning rod

Originally Posted By: Rich44Dewey, Proshot, Tipton I use all three but also as important is a good bore guide

+1

Neil Jones and Lucas make very, very good rod guides where the rod does not rub on the throat because there is a bushing that fits on the rod that centers the rod in the rod guide. These rod guides last forever.

I use Dewey, Tipton, and Stainless Steel Pro Shot.

Caliber does make a difference in rod you choose.

I fear that the tiptons will have an increased coefficient of friction over plastic coated rods or the Stainless pro shot when lapping a barrel or using JB, which is rarely used.

Neil Jones, Lucas, and Possum hollow rod guides with the bushings keep the rod centered in the bore to avoid friction with the rod.

I have lapped a few throats in barrels with abrasive and 180 grit lapping compounds using bore guides that do not center the rod in the barrel.

It helps to apply deliberate pressure on a cleaning rod, pushing and pulling, "feeling" the bore as you push back and forth, not a jerking motion.

I have 22 caliber Dewey rods that I have been using since the mid 80's, and I have used them a lot.

Something to remember, the coefficient of friction of Plastic on steel is more than Steel on Steel.

I ended up with a variety of cleaning rods as my friends passed away. Today if I were starting over, I would look at Pro Shot, Bore tec, and Montana Extreme cleaning rods which all have nice handles and good steel ball bearings. You should pay attention and make sure your brush is rotating in the bore with the barrel twist. Bearings in the handle get froze up from grit and banged up race ways from the owner beating on the back of the cleaning rod from a stuck patch or brush.

I'm not a scientist and know nothing about the coefficient of plastic but I use Dewey rods simply because they treated me well when I had a problem with the coating on one of their rods years ago.
That's not saying that they're better than any of the others but I'm old and don't like change so I stick with what I know.

Back