FINALLY Called A LION!

Great Job! The success we earn means so much more in the end.

So gBo.....you mentioned Lion stands are different from coyote stands, tell us what you learned about that. i'm interested to know.

Thanks in advance........

Originally Posted By: RKDGreat Job! The success we earn means so much more in the end.

So gBo.....you mentioned Lion stands are different from coyote stands, tell us what you learned about that. i'm interested to know.

I don't pretend to be an expert on lion stands, as Steve from Rain Shawdow is much more knowledgeable. But with that said, I learned first hand something Steve said in his seminars to be true, which is, "you need to provide cover for the lion to get to the call and let the lion have the advantage"

We as coyote hunters almost always set up for coyotes primarily on a high vantage point as to see the surrounding terrain. Lions are like us, they prefer to approach the area either for a chance at food or curiosity, having the advantage of cover and elevation.

Before I learned this I had lions on two separate occasions come into me from uphill and behind me. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up both times.

Originally Posted By: g BoOriginally Posted By: RKDGreat Job! The success we earn means so much more in the end.

I don't pretend to be an expert on lion stands, as Steve from Rain Shawdow is much more knowledgeable. But with that said, I learned first hand something Steve said in his seminars to be true, which is, "you need to provide cover for the lion to get to the call and let the lion have the advantage"

We as coyote hunters almost always set up for coyotes primarily on a high vantage point as to see the surrounding terrain. Lions are like us, they prefer to approach the area either for a chance at food or curiosity, having the advantage of cover and elevation.

Before I learned this I had lions on two separate occasions come into me from uphill and behind me. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up both times.

I've had that happen once. Scared the crap out of me too but still continued to call another 30 min.

Yup. I believe the Lion generally prefers the same view/position/vantage point that we as predator hunters/callers prefer.
scared.gif

Great story and the end result is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of trying to call for cougars this winter as well as coyotes. Thanks for all the information and keep up the great work.

Originally Posted By: Pa130182Beautiful lion and awesome story!

Thank you!
I have enjoyed you posts. That sure was a load of Foxes you bagged. I can’t remember, did you skin them?

Originally Posted By: OchocobullGreat story and the end result is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of trying to call for cougars this winter as well as coyotes. Thanks for all the information and keep up the great work.

You should do pretty good in Oregon, I hear there are an abundance of Big Cats up there. Be sure to contact Steve from Rainshadow, he is very helpful.

Back