Flattest shooting caliber

Don't have to aim much off hair with a 22-250 AI stoked up a bit. I shoot 52 gr. Amaxs and they will lay it right out there to well past 400 yds.

17laughjpg.jpg

I dont have any info in front of me but im going to bet its going to be hard to beat a 7mmRUM still... Im sure there will be a 7mmLAZ wildcat or something that will though.

Originally Posted By: blopez50I dont have any info in front of me but im going to bet its going to be hard to beat a 7mmRUM still... Im sure there will be a 7mmLAZ wildcat or something that will though.

Not sure what the Lazzeroni's will do but the 7mm Allen Mag(based on the 338 Lapua case) will launch a 140 grain Accubond 3700 fps or a custom made 200 grain bullet 3300 fps. If money were no object and I wanted a long range gun/cartridge, one of the Allen Mags would be at the top of my list.

Hey the fastest bullet will always be the flatest shooting,
hence the one that gets to the target first, now some slower moving bullets may catch a faster one and pass them, but i can't think of a way a 3600 fps bullet will ever catch a 4000 fps bullet, anyways if you are saying 1000 yds just see which one will arrive there first, since all bullets drop at the same rate of (time). well that's the math test anyways.
besides more bullet drop is not that bad of a thing, if you have to aim 4 foot and 3 inches high what would be the difference in aiming 4 foot and 8 inches not much. any bullet out past 700 yds if you miss your range est. by 5 yds and are not spot on with the dope you're probably gonna miss anyways.
well unless it's a bus.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesVAhuntr,

That Allen Mag page is just INSANE! in a good way. Talk about BIG wildcats. Just WOW!

They are awesome. If money were no object, I'd have me one!

The Allen mags are nothing but a PITA to make. Not my cup of tea. I hear you can buy them already formed now. Probably pretty pricey.

I spent a lot of time behind a 300 Ultra Mag last weekend and liked it. I'm fairly certain my bud is going to build a new LR range rig. I'm fairly certain that I already have him talked into a 7mm RUM. Should be fun......

Originally Posted By: notimerHey the fastest bullet will always be the flatest shooting,
hence the one that gets to the target first, now some slower moving bullets may catch a faster one and pass them, but i can't think of a way a 3600 fps bullet will ever catch a 4000 fps bullet, anyways if you are saying 1000 yds just see which one will arrive there first, since all bullets drop at the same rate of (time). well that's the math test anyways.
besides more bullet drop is not that bad of a thing, if you have to aim 4 foot and 3 inches high what would be the difference in aiming 4 foot and 8 inches not much. any bullet out past 700 yds if you miss your range est. by 5 yds and are not spot on with the dope you're probably gonna miss anyways.
well unless it's a bus.

Spend a little time studying BC's and form factors. A 220 swift is well over
4000 feet a second with a 40 grain and will never see 1000 yards in any usable
manner or with any speed. Yet a lowly 308 can get there ok with a 155 grain
and win matches.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThe Allen mags are nothing but a PITA to make. Not my cup of tea. I hear you can buy them already formed now. Probably pretty pricey.

I spent a lot of time behind a 300 Ultra Mag last weekend and liked it. I'm fairly certain my bud is going to build a new LR range rig. I'm fairly certain that I already have him talked into a 7mm RUM. Should be fun......

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Do you like the 7 Ultra better than the 300?

Last edited:
I just don't have much time to load rounds any more. The faster the process, the better.

I favor 7mm bullets over .308 bullets. Always have. The higher BCs and lower recoil make them more appealing. I'm also extremely fond of the 162gr A-max. With a BC of .625 @ 3300 fps, it will easily best the 338 Lapua at 1000 yds. My bud was going to go with the 338 Lapua, and 1000 yd shooting was his plan, until I ran some numbers for him. With a 200yd zero, the 7 RUM drops over 6 ft less than the big 338 pushing a 250gr bullet with a BC of .670 @ 2800fps. This equates to about 7 MOA.

To achieve a BC of .625 with a .308 bullet, you will have to run a bullet of no less than 200-208gr,.......

2much, your love for the 7mm is not unfounded. If you look at Brian Litz's
numbers on form factor you will see why. The .308 bullets just really haven't
been developed yet to the degree that 6mm, 6.5 and 7's have. It's coming
though.
I've shot the 338 lapua to 1000. It gets there with a tremendous amount
of authority. I don't think it shines until beyond 1400 over other choices
though. The savage had very little recoil due to the brake. I was pretty impressed. Blowing holes through 3/8 mild steel at a 1000 will do that to
me.

Have seen said Savage. Looks pretty cool.

I agree that if you are planning 1200yd + shooting, or need to do a lot of damage, the 338 would get the nod. But for hunting and target shooting, the 7mm is an excellent choice. Plus, I absolutely HATE brakes and I can shoot the big 7mm all day without one.......

The only thing bad about the RUM's is the 95+ grains of powder per round, and those high BC bullets are not cheap either. But it's only money. 338 Edge is a 300 RUM necked up, it's worth a look if you want a big long range rifle. 300 grain bullets.

Last edited:
Back