FLIR the ultimate spotting tool

Has anyone ever experienced a problem with their ps32 flogging up? Went out tonight, it was 27 degrees. The lense kept fogging. It really was a pain in the [beeep]!

Originally Posted By: bobschauberHas anyone ever experienced a problem with their ps32 flogging up? Went out tonight, it was 27 degrees. The lense kept fogging. It really was a pain in the [beeep]!

Yes, last night mine started fogging up. There was a slight breeze and when I held it out about 1/2-3/4" from my eye so the air could hit the lens it cleared right up.
There are anti-fog wipes available but I have never tried them. Wondering if anyone here has and do they work?

I don't have a problem with it fogging in warm weather. I am pretty sure that is very close to the same eye piece on the ps32. I tried holding it further from my eye and it was a little better. I was just surpirised at how easy it fogs. I don't have a problem with any of my scopes fogging!

While we're on the subject of the PS32, I have noticed that the colder the temp is, the less user friendly the red alert mode is. The trees, brush, everything in the background glows red. I find that the white mode is the easiest one to use. Anyone else notice this?
And the attachment point for a lanyard is way too small.
There is definitely a learning curve with the FLIR.

Last edited:
I actually find it a lot more effective as the temp drops. The rocks, trees, etc. get colder and it allows me to run the ps32 at a higher level of red alert. When it's sorta warm, everything seems to want to show up red at the higher settings. I generally operate at the first level. Click once for white, two for black, and three for red alert. As it gets colder, I can use the scope at the fourth and fifth clicks more effectively. I get sharper resolution at those levels too. it's always important to not get any skyline involved. The deep cold of space makes for a huge differential. Kinda hard to look for coons with it because of that. Gets a little tricky, but it can be done.

I definitely like mine a lot more in the really cold weather.

You guys are right, but that's what is so great about the FLIR, I also may change to black hot if I am calling a huge field, or white hot if I am calling to a tree line, in the dead of summer I find the white hot best for me.. I also use red hot level #1 only, I never seem to be able to use the next levels...

I am new to the FLIR universe and have experienced the skyline "red-out". Anytime we get horizon on the screen everything goes red. glad to know it isn't just me...

The sky is subzero temperature, try to avoid it, although on a good night I can see the full moon glow red with mine.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe sky is subzero temperature, try to avoid it, although on a good night I can see the full moon glow red with mine.

SkyPup,
If you get some free time, will you please elaborate? I would think that a cold sky would not glow, but I am wrong. Why?

The temperature of the air in the atmosphere goes down as altitude increases, pointing the microbolometer at the sky after pointing it at the ground or horizon on the ground changes the temperature over 100 degrees and is not compensated for. Best to avoid pointing towards the sky as it will take another focal plane array uniform correction to recalibrate back to normal on the ground.

So for raccoon hunting, how does one overcome looking in a tree and avoid the "bloom" for the sky background? Better thermal? Or I this just one of the few drawbacks of thermals?

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe temperature of the air in the atmosphere goes down as altitude increases, pointing the microbolometer at the sky after pointing it at the ground or horizon on the ground changes the temperature over 100 degrees and is not compensated for. Best to avoid pointing towards the sky as it will take another focal plane array uniform correction to recalibrate back to normal on the ground.

Say what?? Can you speak English please LOL!
unsure.gif

Travis
Try the white hot or black hot in that case, you will be close to the tree, the animals heat signature should be pronounced compared to the tree...

SkyPup,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm too stupid to fully understand what you said but I get the basic idea.

The way I do it is to check out the tree from further away, and not look straight up with the sky as a background. I look at the base of the tree and ease up till I get as far up as I can without having the cold sky give me a false basis. The sky is the coldest thing out there, everything else is "hot" in comparison, so if you are looking at too much sky, you'll not get a good gradient. For me, it's really kinda tricky. Maybe somebody else has a better way. If they do, it would be good to hear.

Originally Posted By: Travis224So for raccoon hunting, how does one overcome looking in a tree and avoid the "bloom" for the sky background? Better thermal? Or I this just one of the few drawbacks of thermals?

That is one of the difficulties of using thermal, get used to it as it is still better than anything else....

1Lobo
Thats great that the eye peice worked,I put the PVS -14 collapsable eyepeice on because when you drop the FLIR to go to the gun I did not want the light shining out the back of the FLIR to get me busted,I also hung it on my lanyard with a double line with the eye piece higher,that way it hangs eye piece slighlty up and to my rifle side,that way when I need to go to after a shot its exactly positioned for my hand to grab and bring up fast instead of fumbling..as said I before my hands are in bad shape..

[img:center][/img]

[img:center]http://[/img]

Last edited:
Back