Fox cartridge

If I were going to build a gun just for fox . I'm thinkin the 17 furball with some 30 grainers would be the ticket.

But , with out testing . It's only an opinion.

I have a 17 Mach-4 that i used alot on fox with a 25 gr. hornady bullet and worked well..
A friend of mine bought a 17 F.B. last year and used it in Texas on Cats and grey fox and said it did a great job on them and very little damage to the fur.. I think he was useing the factory 20 gr. plastic tip..
We don't have that many fox around any more or i would give the 20gr a try on them here..

I think the 30 gr. would work well on them also and on a called in coyote..

Last edited:
Dooger,

Your a bit tense .lol !
I'm not the best by any means. However given lots of permisson and a good snow . I can kill yotes up there !

6 dozen traps for a dozen critters. That's pretty lame.

Wolves !! O Yea !

I keep hoping we can hunt them someday. When that day comes I will be in the Yooper with way more than a .17 !

Last edited:
TA,

Are the yotes pushing out the reds? I've heard the yotes have ruined alot of good red areas.

-----------------

Good night guys !

Dooger, I hope we didn't you too fired up!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Tim,

You know the name Jim Spencer too I'm sure. He claims that for every dozen traps he sets each year, he expects one K9....in the EUP. How about Ray Plis and his 7 man crew, I'm sure you know that name too. They run dogs every chance they get and may only get 20 in a season. They have access to just about all private land east of I-75. I've seen them twice in the past week and they've only had one dog by quitting time.

I lived in your neck of the woods for 24 years and know what you have around you. Obviously, you don't know what we have up here.

Every time I deer hunted in the SLP, I'd see coyotes and/or fox. Up here, I have never seen a fox or coyote while deer hunting. Actually, outside of calling, I've only seen three coyotes the past two years and I'm in the woods a ton. I run a trail cam all year and last year I only got two pictures of coyotes. Never got a fox on camera and that's actually odd because I have more fox around me than coyotes right now.

You know why I'm so tense with you, it's because I can't stand people who know it all in every arena and every piece of land and yet they haven't even been there. It would be like me saying I could go kill every coyote if I called in TA's neck of the woods.

Are you a cop?

BTW,

I bet you couldn't stand to sit on a fencerow up here when it's -10 and a 30 mph wind with snow drifting in your face. Heck, you probably couldn't even hike out in the field 100 yards with 3-4' of snow, big snowshoes on, and you'd be back at the truck drinking a beer.

The UP is pretty diverse country !

I've hunted 50 miles east of the Wisconson boarder . Also just north of the bridge.

This past bear season . We saw 4 yotes while running baits.

Yote's ain't easy but, they are killable.

I'm I a cop ?
What gives you that idea ?

Quote:
BTW,

I bet you couldn't stand to sit on a fencerow up here when it's -10 and a 30 mph wind with snow drifting in your face. Heck, you probably couldn't even hike out in the field 100 yards with 3-4' of snow, big snowshoes on, and you'd be back at the truck drinking a beer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I don't drink while I'm hunting ! lol Wait ! I have too in the UP don't I ?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Attitude

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Naw that's just internet text!

I'm not A cop ,but have a lot of cop freinds. Comes in real handy when the Anti's are bothering me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My last post on this thread:

Here's a quote from a guy in the U.P. He just posted this tonight:

"I dont really keep track seems like one in forever sometimes. probobly about 1 in 30. i hunt in thick cover most times."

He calls one in for every 30 stands he makes.

The average ratio in the SLP is probably 1 in 5...that goes for newbies too.

Quote:
Just another piece of White Trash eh?

Aw! now your hurting my white trash fellings .LOL

Never Said one thing about calling up there.

BTW.... BEER tastes way better in the U P , especally while on vacation .

Good night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Are the yotes pushing out the reds? I've heard the yotes have ruined alot of good red areas.

Back when the coyotes first moved in i would say it was the case. But also at the time fox where bringing a good price so overhunting canbe one of the facters along with mange..
Now we are finding fox in the same sections as the coyotes, so maybe they learned how to get along or the fox have learned how to adapt to the coyote being around..
At the moument we also have a very high food source so that may also fit into the equation..

Tim,

That expains it all....a pretentious houndsman.

Now I understand why you think a .17 Rem is no good. You shoot at running dogs and hope it acts as a .243 would. Then when it doesn't, you part out the gun and sell it off while coming on these forums claiming their a POS because you lost one and only one fox to it.

OH Dooger; no one said the 17's where no good for fox or coyotes.. We just disagreed with youre comparison on the two cartridges...

Dooger are you a criminal? Just asking because of your attitude towards cops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Relax buddy, you're throwing around a lot of insults at a lot of people. So far you've insulted cops, houndsman, and drunks. You can't throw a grenade into a crowded room to take out one guy. Wait a minute, are you an arab? Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nate

Quote:
OH Dooger; no one said the 17's where no good for fox or coyotes.. We just disagreed with youre comparison on the two cartridges...

I've had run-ins with him before.....

He just likes to say that .17's are all crap as soon as a post surfaces on the topic. Just likes to stir the pot.

Back