Freeze Branding

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI wouldn't even know where to buy liquid nitrogen. Dry ice is doable at some grocery stores and Walmart.

Tony

I dont know where else a person could get it but we get ours from the vets office.

Dustballs is right, most large animal vets get semon shipped in with it and will just give it to you. You can also get it at any welding supply shop, anyone selling welding gasses.
You just dont get as good of a brand with Dry Ice and Dry Ice is more expensive. I can brand about 20 dogs for about $6.00, you will spend almost that for just the Alcohol to put in the Dry Ice.

Thanks for all the good info Devin.

We have branded our horses here for years. Always use liquid nitrogen, 99% alcohol and as tight a clip as we can get.

Tucker is going in to be spayed next week. Our vet has all the required possibles and plenty of experience freeze branding livestock. Think we'll try 10 seconds.

Predator Masters Rocks!

My vet looked at me like I was a Nazi for asking them to freeze brand while whiskey was out for spay!! I guess thats just the difference from being in the city compared to the country. Craig, you'll have to post pics when she heals.

I use Liquid Nitrogen, I have only done ears, and ribs.
I use a heavy brass "iron", from L & H.
I shave hair, use 99% alchohol. 15 to 20 secs does a fine job on any dog.Dog hide is thin, and easy to "burn".
I have held some longer thinking I should, and had "poor" results. I'll also look and see if I can find some nice pics.
The info posted so far, is more info than I ever got,and better than I can share with anyone,I learned by "trial and screw up". Duane

Super White Hunter,
You might get that brand before we get a chance to do it so I will let you know when we are branding. Where are you located?

Last edited:
That liquid nitrogen might work for you college educated fellars but for the idiots....

Well, im not near as smart as Duane and Devin so i have to use the idiot proof technique...i use dry ice and ascetone.

I mix dry ice with ascetone "both can be bought at your grocery store" put the irons in til they are cold...if you are wondering if they are cold or not touch them to your tongue.

Anywho, i brand the ear and i put regular alcohol on it before the iron hits it...not sure the %...that would take too much brain power to look and remember. Guessing 70ish...Also at your grocery store.

Well after the Nevada boys tell us how many lions they have caught for the year we count to about 30...this isnt more then 35 seconds unless they throw in a couple deer chases and mustang bay ups 40 seconds tops....your iron wont be cold enough to burn through like the nitrogen and i think it leaves a bolder brand...not cleaner though.

The most important thing is...while they are down check and see if they have nutts....if so, do yourself a favor and cut them off.

OOOOH, and if they have a long tail whack that thing off too.

Branding Party April 22,23 or 29,30 in Central Utah if anyone is interested give me a call.

Take care, jason 801 633 4659

Originally Posted By: poserThat liquid nitrogen might work for you college educated fellars but for the idiots....

Well, im not near as smart as Duane and Devin so i have to use the idiot proof technique...i use dry ice and ascetone.

I mix dry ice with ascetone "both can be bought at your grocery store" put the irons in til they are cold...if you are wondering if they are cold or not touch them to your tongue.

Anywho, i brand the ear and i put regular alcohol on it before the iron hits it...not sure the %...that would take too much brain power to look and remember. Guessing 70ish...Also at your grocery store.

Well after the Nevada boys tell us how many lions they have caught for the year we count to about 30...this isnt more then 35 seconds unless they throw in a couple deer chases and mustang bay ups 40 seconds tops....your iron wont be cold enough to burn through like the nitrogen and i think it leaves a bolder brand...not cleaner though.

The most important thing is...while they are down check and see if they have nutts....if so, do yourself a favor and cut them off.

OOOOH, and if they have a long tail whack that thing off too.

Branding Party April 22,23 or 29,30 in Central Utah if anyone is interested give me a call.

Take care, jason 801 633 4659 You crack me up.

Just a side note, I cut nuts off two pups friday eve.
No blood,none, not a drop.
Maybe somethin to cutting nuts on a full moon ????
Jason sometimes I think your "nuts" hahahah!!!!! Duane

Back