Hunter55
Well-known member
The farmer had just started to harvest when the rain abruptly brought things to a halt a few days ago. I’ve hunted this property several times and never heard or seen a thing was about ready to give up on it but, there just has to be coyotes here at some time or the other.
I arrived about 7:30 just as it was getting dusk, unloaded my ATV off the trailer and loaded up my rifle, call, tripod and swivel stool and headed east toward the timbered fence line.
When I got about 50-60 yards from the timber I stopped and setup my tripod, I need this distance from the timber so I could see down the bean row North of me. Then I went over and parked my ATV behind the brush, so it was out of sight, and setup my Foxpro hanging from a tree limb about half way back to the tripod.
The moon was almost full tonight and I need to be setup somewhere to conceal me from the moon as it rose to the East of me later in the evening, I knew I would be in the shadows of the tall trees for a few hours as the moon rose to the East of me.
I walked back to my tripod, setup my rifle, stool, and remote and waited about 10 minutes for things to settle down from all my activity.
Then I lit in a low volume pup distress waited another 7-10 minutes and then to a high pitched lone howl.
I was scanning behind me and as I slowly turned around to the North West, here are 2 coyotes about 60 yards out in the beans that had been harvested. I couldn’t believe my eyes, how did they get on top of me like that? As I mounted the rifle, unlocked the leveling head with my left hand and thumbed the safety off I found them squarely in my sights. By that time both of them were about 50 yards from me and still moving. I let out a woof; nothing, another woof, nothing, a 3rd woof and they both stopped and looked at me.
As I squeezed the trigger of the Win 70 she let off her soft thundering of the Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip varmint as it found its mark square on the heart of the male coyote, he went DRT. The 2nd coyote ran as I chambered another round and the Foxpro was singing pup distress as the 2nd coyote stopped for a broad side shot about 150 yards out but, I didn’t have a safe shot, there were houses in the background, they were a distance off but, not too far for the 22-250, so I settled for a single and counted my blessings for the night.
Finally I have a new found hope for the farm!
I arrived about 7:30 just as it was getting dusk, unloaded my ATV off the trailer and loaded up my rifle, call, tripod and swivel stool and headed east toward the timbered fence line.
When I got about 50-60 yards from the timber I stopped and setup my tripod, I need this distance from the timber so I could see down the bean row North of me. Then I went over and parked my ATV behind the brush, so it was out of sight, and setup my Foxpro hanging from a tree limb about half way back to the tripod.
The moon was almost full tonight and I need to be setup somewhere to conceal me from the moon as it rose to the East of me later in the evening, I knew I would be in the shadows of the tall trees for a few hours as the moon rose to the East of me.
I walked back to my tripod, setup my rifle, stool, and remote and waited about 10 minutes for things to settle down from all my activity.
Then I lit in a low volume pup distress waited another 7-10 minutes and then to a high pitched lone howl.
I was scanning behind me and as I slowly turned around to the North West, here are 2 coyotes about 60 yards out in the beans that had been harvested. I couldn’t believe my eyes, how did they get on top of me like that? As I mounted the rifle, unlocked the leveling head with my left hand and thumbed the safety off I found them squarely in my sights. By that time both of them were about 50 yards from me and still moving. I let out a woof; nothing, another woof, nothing, a 3rd woof and they both stopped and looked at me.
As I squeezed the trigger of the Win 70 she let off her soft thundering of the Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip varmint as it found its mark square on the heart of the male coyote, he went DRT. The 2nd coyote ran as I chambered another round and the Foxpro was singing pup distress as the 2nd coyote stopped for a broad side shot about 150 yards out but, I didn’t have a safe shot, there were houses in the background, they were a distance off but, not too far for the 22-250, so I settled for a single and counted my blessings for the night.
Finally I have a new found hope for the farm!