Fur Friendly .223

lotta guys using them for coyotes. not sure how bad they would wreck a fox but that's just about anything. I would think those loaded modestly would do decent if you keep off bone and should be good medicine for wiley too

CountryBoy23...I think that you will find that almost any ballistic tip will cause excessive damage on a Fox and the lighter weight ballistic tips can be 'iffy' on a Coyote if a bone is hit, leaving a 'run off' that you will need to track to find..

If you reload, almost any of the lead tipped bullets, or hollow points, would be better..On a Coyote, they have a better chance going through bone and if no bones are hit, they tend to pencil through without the high concern for ricochets...On a Fox, they tend to do less damage due to the smaller stature and thinner skin..

You might want to check your local game laws to see if there are any restrictions on bullet types, as down here in the US, FMJs are illegal in some states/areas due to the ricochet and wounding probability...

I will say that in most cases fmj is just not on the list of possible right choices. in certain circumstances they can be effective. I have used them on red with great success but kept my shots close and was only in specific areas that I didn't have to worry about where the bullet went after passing through the fox. and before I get my a*# chewed I have shot quite a few larger k9 that fox and most coyotes and had very good results before trying if on something I wanted to keep and skin. not an advocate for fmj's in any way just saying in the right place at the right time with the right shot, it CAN be done

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Saskcoyote78For fun I used the search and its actually pretty terrible. First page had zero info on a 52 gr AMAX...it happens to catch the odd thread with AMX or 52 mentioned in it.

that is strange. i just typed in 52gr a-max and got 10 pages.

I found where I went wrong. I wasnt using google custom search, just the search right of the active topic bar.

Last edited:
My experience w/Coyote is 50 grain is usually a large exit shoot thru with (believe it or not) a lot
of not D.R.T.. Forty grain always a D.R.T. with no exit.

Originally Posted By: sl johnMy experience w/Coyote is 50 grain is usually a large exit shoot thru with (believe it or not) a lot
of not D.R.T.. Forty grain always a D.R.T. with no exit.

I have had great success with 50 grain ballistic tips. Just shot one a couple hours ago .22-250 50 gr Nosler BT(Winchester Combined Tech load) under 80 yds and no exit.
I would never say they wont blow out but good shooting prevents it from being prevalent.
For close shooting sets I have done well with 55 soft points as close as 25 feet.

In the 223 cartridge I shoot 70gn Coynamite bullets. Coynamite stands for coyote dynamite. These are a 70gn soft point rebated boat tail bullets. On any solid body hit they do not shoot through a coyote. Only a little hole in and nothing to stich. In the 223 I load them at 2750 fps. At this velocity the drop numbers are very easy to remember. I use a SWFA mil dot scope with a 100 yard zero. With the 100 yard zero I don't have to remember to hold low on coyotes called in close. At 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards the holds are 1mil, 2mil, 3mil, and 4.25mil. This heavier weight bullet hits with noticeably more clout than lighter bullets at least in my own observation.
These are certainly not match grade bullets but easily shoot sub MOA from my Stevens Mod 200 in 223 Rem with 1/9" twist. I think it will require at least a 1/10" twist at the slowest for good shooting with them.
I have stretched several coyotes pelts shot with these this season. Jan 17/15 is the pickup date in my area for the first NAFA auction that I will be sending these to. I am expecting better prices than last year which saw highs of just a few dollars short if $100.00 per coyote. Last week I received a card in the mail from NAFA that said coyotes are hot and in high demand.

For those of you that don't like the same question asked over and over, perhaps you should not answer the same way over and over.

Reaper4 is right on! It's nice to have the archives but our ways are evolving - so ask away CountryBoy23!

I'd slow some Berger HP Varmint's in 40 gr down and see what you get.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: bullshopIn the 223 cartridge I shoot 70gn Coynamite bullets. Coynamite stands for coyote dynamite. These are a 70gn soft point rebated boat tail bullets. On any solid body hit they do not shoot through a coyote. Only a little hole in and nothing to stich. In the 223 I load them at 2750 fps. At this velocity the drop numbers are very easy to remember. I use a SWFA mil dot scope with a 100 yard zero. With the 100 yard zero I don't have to remember to hold low on coyotes called in close. At 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards the holds are 1mil, 2mil, 3mil, and 4.25mil. This heavier weight bullet hits with noticeably more clout than lighter bullets at least in my own observation.
These are certainly not match grade bullets but easily shoot sub MOA from my Stevens Mod 200 in 223 Rem with 1/9" twist. I think it will require at least a 1/10" twist at the slowest for good shooting with them.
I have stretched several coyotes pelts shot with these this season. Jan 17/15 is the pickup date in my area for the first NAFA auction that I will be sending these to. I am expecting better prices than last year which saw highs of just a few dollars short if $100.00 per coyote. Last week I received a card in the mail from NAFA that said coyotes are hot and in high demand.

Where might someone find these bullets? I did a Google search with no results.

FairChase93 --- """Where might someone find these bullets? I did a Google search with no results."""
I am new here so don't want to mess up. I just read the no advertising rule so am afraid to answer. Would it be acceptable with the management if I PMed an answer to FairChase93

well pm me too lol I don't think its a problem though there are tons of posts with member pointing other members to in stock items and such. now if you own the company that may be another story

Back