Getting out amongst 'em!

As said by everyone else. What an awesome adventure. It can't possibly get any better than that. As someone that doesn't have easy access to such wonderful and wild places I am truly envious. In spite of the current state of the world it is nice to know that we are so blessed to live in a land with such wonderful places and that we are able to enjoy them while hunting too.

I hope your next adventure keeps your streak of at least a triple alive!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Signed,
An envious Michigander!

Great post as always. Love the pics! I want to be like you... If i grow up
smile.gif

As said above, fantastic write-up. Pics are great and the backdrop couldn't be prettier.
Even felt the chill in my body upon waking in that tent with you!!( Least I felt like I was there!)
Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated on more hunts.

Originally Posted By: DAA fart sack on a cold morning...

They make getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak a lot more bearable for my tender footsies
laugh.gif

- DAA

lol are you a vet? I have never heard anyone else call their sleeping bag that..

I don't use a tent so that i don't have to get out of the sack to go in the middle of the night.
wink.gif
I use a low profile cot and just roll over to the edge and unzip, and go. I don't like getting up to go at midnight when it's -10 either. I am leaving in the AM and usually sleeping on the side of the 2 track anyways, so who cares. It's better than getting out of the bag in that weather in the middle of the night. Or if you are in a tent an old Marked gator aide bottle is what we did in snow caves and other very cold places.

I also bring a length of paracord, and a jingle bell. As I drive around when i see a bunny, i shoot one for night time. I then tie it up just off the ground with the bell close to the camp site in a nearbye cedar.. I figure is something shows up to my camp site in the night, it will go for the bunny hanging first. (it's actually worked a few times) I hear the bell, and then unzip and use the pistol. It's kind of nice to start the morning with a dead coyote already in the truck. Just a thought, and i just figure there are things wondering around out there that are hungry and a lot bigger or nastier than a coyote, and it's low tech safety thinking.

I also see that you skin in the field too.. I have a simular set-up, and wondered if you thought about adding a wench or something to help with the skinning. I find that after a few in the cold, it can wear you out at the end of a long day to peal those skins. I was thinking about adding some of the fur holds,(those eyelet type tarp edge holder things) and then hang some lead bags from them with loops to step into to use my weight to step into like a stur-up to pull the hides off.
Have you tried anything like that?

Great write up, really enjoyed reading it! If I had more time on my hand I would probably do something similar because it looks like so much fun, just less miles traveled and probably a person or two in the woods.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZOriginally Posted By: DAA fart sack on a cold morning...

- DAA

lol are you a vet? I have never heard anyone else call their sleeping bag that..

No, but my Dad was. Got that phrase from him.

I don't use a tent a lot of the time. Same deal, sleep out on a cot, when the weather allows. Usually just do the roll over and go thing too. In the tent, I don't like using a bottle though, my aim ain't for crap in the middle of the night. Easier, or at least cleaner, for me to get up and stand in the open tent door. And, hardly anything, in this world, feels better than getting back in a warm bag after getting up in the freezing cold and letting a good long whizz out!

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
I also bring a length of paracord, and a jingle bell. .... I hear the bell, and then unzip and use the pistol.

Heck... My Wife snores a bit. Sounds like a pride of lions in the bedroom at home with me. I sleep through THAT most nights. Ain't no way in the wide world of sports a tinkling bell is going to wake me up!

I do sleep with a pacifier in bear country, or anywhere there's people about. Trip like this last one though, I don't bother. No bears that I know of around there and I've never heard of a mountain lion dragging anyone out of their tent at night. I just don't worry about it.

I try to keep a clean camp, so as not to attract vermin, but have had bears in camp a couple times over the years, in bear country. Never had any real trouble though - knock on my wooden head.

Coyotes do come in camp once in awhile. Not often, but it happens. Far as I'm concerned, they are welcome to get into whatever mischief as they may while I'm sacked out. Have a few times had them stand just out of camp and carry on to beat the band, keeping me awake, and while I might be irritated at the time, I remember those instances fondly. Had one in particular once, the louder I yelled at him to STF, the louder he howled and barked and gargled and yodeled and screamed back. From about 75 yards away. Kept me awake for awhile, that one did!

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

I also see that you skin in the field too.. I have a simular set-up, and wondered if you thought about adding a wench or something to help with the skinning. I find that after a few in the cold, it can wear you out at the end of a long day to peal those skins. I was thinking about adding some of the fur holds,(those eyelet type tarp edge holder things) and then hang some lead bags from them with loops to step into to use my weight to step into like a stur-up to pull the hides off.
Have you tried anything like that?

I have tried stuff like that. Actually built a skinning pole/machine that has a boat winch on it and fur grips and all that good stuff. Works pretty dang good. And is especially nice on the frozen ones! I use it on my truck. But cargo space in the Jeep is limited! So I use that simple hang pole only, when hunting out of the Jeep.

But I do carry my skinning bag, which has my fur grips in it. It's a pair of duck bill vise grips I welded some short pieces of offset 1/4" rod on the duck bills to grab the fur. They also have a length of chain welded to the other end. When using my big winch powered skinning pole, the length of chain is how I attach the grips to the bottom of the rig. But when using my simple pole, if I really need the leverage, I can clamp those grips on and loop the chain and stand into it.

20151127_Coyote%20Hunt-13W.jpg

In that picture, you can see towards the top of the pole a hitch pin and a hole. It telescopes and locks in much taller, to allow that "standing in" on them, when needed (frozen ones, basically).

- DAA

Love it. Miss my days in country when the tank dips below half you had better start looking for more. Your write up gives me all the reason I need to celebrate Thanksgiving.

That was a very good story. I go out west Prairie Dog shooting on the Prairie not as far out as you but for an Iowa boy far enough really enjoy it out away from everyone. Great pictures.

Your adventure reminds me of the late 70's when I lived in Wyoming. I didn't know squat about calling coyotes but that didn't keep me from going. There were some cold days. Some of them cold enough that the rifle sounded like it didn't want to go off. Pelts brought real good $$ back in those days. A 3 coyote day would buy you a new 700 Remington. 75 of them would get you a new pickup if you didn't blow any big holes in them. Nice trip.

I haven't spent a lot of time on here over the last year and I almost missed one of the best write-ups of the sites history. Great story Dave. Whenever you want someone to shoot the [beeep] with on an over-nighter or a day trip give me a ring.

Back