Going thermal

All new 1s are supposed to come with the new quick detach mount. If it was older stock maybe still shipping with old mount. I have an extra QD mount if interested shoot me a private message

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kyle GOriginally Posted By: Foxpulse I have the Apex Xq50 and love it. You can add a 20 hour video and external dvr for video to the Apex and be in for fraction of the cost. The image is quality is very good and can see for 1000s of yards. Its super easy to use and sight in also come with quick detatch mount now.

Just curious what quick detach mount it come with? I just ordered the exact same scope but all the pictures I see of this is the long screw on mount

All new 1s are supposed to come with the new quick detach mount. If it was older stock maybe still shipping with old mount. I have an extra QD mount if interested shoot me a private message

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: sjansIf funds are limited, would you spend more on the scanner or the scope? my vote is scope

Scope

Always good to get opinions. I wouldn't go cheap on a scope, but you are looking through the monocular 95% of the time. It seems like many people, including myself, that start with a better image on the scope than monocular eventually updates their monocular. I now have a better image in my monocular than scope, but don't have any desire to update my scope because it will kill as far as it needs to, and still IDs great. My comment would be equal or similar money.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223To the I don't need video guys............like double up says, you will learn and see alot of what is really going on when the gun goes bang.

Agree with Doubleup and V223...I originally wasn't interested in the recording features, but went ahead and got the Trail XQ38. After getting used to the record button and finally getting the RAV function going, it is one of the most valuable tools to show exactly where the cross hairs are at the shot. I have been humbled a few times when I swore there was no way that I could have missed...the video revealed why it was a miss...piss poor gun/trigger control on my part. It would be very easy for me to claim that I am having POI shifts as the reason for my misses, but it definitely isn't the case of POI shift...it is brain farts on my part. The only thing that has plagued me a couple of times has been the "auto-cal"...right as the trigger broke, the auto cal did its thing...happened twice. I am more than satisfied with my XQ38 and my Quantum scanner...I really don't think I need anything else.

You run auto cal
scared.gif

Semi auto for hunting
thumbup.gif

I thought I had read that auto cal was the way to run it...it seems to "auto-cal" several times until it has been on awhile and then it is "periodic" when it cals. I suppose in the beginning after just turning it on you just keep hitting the button to cal in semi auto mode until you think it's warmed up? It says it works on the scope algorithm when in auto cal mode...would there be much of an issue doing it in semi auto and maybe working against the scope algorithm? Or does it make much of a difference? I often thought of changing to semi auto just to eliminate the auto cal happening at the wrong time.

You could also keep it on auto cal. and just force it to cal right before you get ready to shoot. That way you don't get an unexpected NUC right at the shot.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYou could also keep it on auto cal. and just force it to cal right before you get ready to shoot. That way you don't get an unexpected NUC right at the shot.

Yes, and I have done a forced cal just to try to eliminate that but on several occasions I had been watching the coyote for extended periods of time and forgot to do it "in the heat of the moment". Still trying to get a system down, but when you get one coming in on a string, it seems I quit thinking of anything but the coyote.

Understood, and I tried it both ways myself. Problem is you have to remember it either way in order to get the best picture or not have it NUC right when you're getting ready to shoot. On the Trails a software update that counted down to NUC would be nice. You'll get a system worked out I'm sure.

I have mine set to auto as well. Luckily, it has not come back to bite me up to this point. The power button on the trail series is very hard to push especially with gloves on. When a coyote is coming in fast, the last thing I want to do is fumble with my scope to NUC it. Good thing there are different settings for different needs.

I have the Armasight Apollo 640 which is a clip on. I thought it would be the best of both worlds being able to between rifles. I quickly learned it doesn't work that way. After several attempts to make it work I finally abandoned the clip on concept. It may work with NV but not so much with thermal. I currently use my Apollo as a stand alone dedicated scope. I am pleased with it and the clarity is good. If I had it to do over again I'd go with a dedicated thermal scope. From what I've seen, none of them are perfect, they all have their own minor characteristics that some people do or don't like. And BTW there's a big learning curve with thermal. Target and identification, range are the biggest and not to mention they eat batteries like they're candy. So in my opinion, pick one with rechargable batteries or one that takes a standard battery and has the basic features you need. Thermals are great and fun, just do you research and by the best you can afford first.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpUnderstood, and I tried it both ways myself. Problem is you have to remember it either way in order to get the best picture or not have it NUC right when you're getting ready to shoot. On the Trails a software update that counted down to NUC would be nice. You'll get a system worked out I

Armasight Zeus has a count down to NUC. I have seen it NUC 3 times in 2 months

Last edited:
After the scope temperature settles down I don't really have to calibrate much at all to keep the good picture. The Apex we used last year had to be calibrated much more often from what I recall.

Last edited:
The trails do count down but only from around 3 seconds to NUC. It would be good, if it was at least 30 seconds or a general timer to NUC always running. However, if a coyote is coming in hard, I am probably not going to notice the timer anyway even if counting down.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpUnderstood, and I tried it both ways myself. Problem is you have to remember it either way in order to get the best picture or not have it NUC right when you're getting ready to shoot. On the Trails a software update that counted down to NUC would be nice. You'll get a system worked out I'm sure.

Mine does the countdown at the bottom of the screen on the menu bar, but when you are centering the crosshairs on the yote looking at it in the PIP, you don't see it start the countdown...a flashing indicator light of some sort would be nice to get your attention to it. I will play around with it in semi auto and see how things go.

Originally Posted By: Kirsch I have mine set to auto as well. Luckily, it has not come back to bite me up to this point. The power button on the trail series is very hard to push especially with gloves on. When a coyote is coming in fast, the last thing I want to do is fumble with my scope to NUC it. Good thing there are different settings for different needs.

Agree about the power button and gloves...

Back