Good "cheap" 22...opinions?

shelton573

Hello everyone! I am kind of kicking around the idea of buying a cheaper bolt or semi auto 22 rifle. I haven't owned one in years and I'm wanting to do some squirrel hunting this fall. The last one I had was a late 90s or early 2000s marlin model 60 that shot very well and was cheap (shoulda never sold it). Just curious what you all think would be a good rifle for around $200 (or if they even make a good one in that price range anymore)? I don't want to spend a whole bunch because I have never been real intrigued by rimfires and it will only be used for the occasional hunt. I realize with the price of 22lr ammo right now it would prolly be cheaper to shoot em with my 22-250 or 223 hah! Let me know what you guys think if you have time. Thanks!

Last edited:
the Ruger 10/22 have been just under 200 on sale regularly around here. Very popular and fun if you can find ammo. Many places hold back ammo just for a gun purchase.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthink id be tempted by a ruger american if i was looking to buy one.

but savage and marlin would do you fine to.

Thanks for the reply! I have been looking really hard at those. They seem like a slick set put for the price. Do u have a recommendation for savage or marlin as well? Thanks!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: tripod3the Ruger 10/22 have been just under 200 on sale regularly around here. Very popular and fun if you can find ammo. Many places hold back ammo just for a gun purchase.

Thanks for the response! My dad and brother both have 10/22s but they are so dang hard to find where I am and when u do find them they are way overpriced! I guess everyone wants them now with the 22lr craze? Thanks!

Shelton

RePete said:
You should be able to pick one of these up for around 250.00.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-452-scout-22lr-beech-single-shot-adapter/

This one's a real working man's gun but don't let that fool you. CZ rimfires are renowned for their accuracy and durability.

Check Bud's or Whittakers.

PS,,, the single shot adapter's nice if you have young ones.

Thanks for the link! Seems like a pretty solid price for a CZ! I don't have young ones now though (thank god, no offense to any one who does though!). I'll keep it in mind!
Thanks,
Shelton

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGMarlin model 60 is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I have a newer one one that is very accurate.

If you don't mind me askin, how much did you pay? I can still find those reasonably priced at a few stores! Wish I woulda never sold the one I had. Is your 60 barrel stamped REP or JM? They say the JM stamped barrels are the "real" marlins before Remington started making them and they are more accurate. My marlin 22-250 is a REP stamp and it shoots AWESOME so I'm just curious. Thanks for the reply!

Shelton

The Marlin also sold as a Coast to Coast years ago would be hard to beat especially if you could find a good used one. I have a older Coast to Coast that is a good shooter and accurate. Pretty quiet also. The one I have is a Model 42 clip fed.

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitThe Marlin also sold as a Coast to Coast years ago would be hard to beat especially if you could find a good used one. I have a older Coast to Coast that is a good shooter and accurate. Pretty quiet also. The one I have is a Model 42 clip fed.

Is this a "model 60" but with a mag instead of a tube feed? That's what it looks like by the pics. Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted By: skb2706Marlin model 60 or 795. Everything a Ruger 10/22 should have been for half the price.

Are the new ones as good as the older models used to be? Like I said before, I loved the one I used to have and if they are the same quality I wouldn't mind buying another. Thanks for the info!

Shelton

I'm not sure what the new ones are like, all my guns are old, like me
smile.gif
You could check used gun sites like Gun Brokers and probably find a good used one for a decent price. If they are taken care of I don't think you could really wear one out. Oh yeah, the Model 60 looks like it may be a little longer than the Model 42 but I'd bet the action is real similar except for the difference in how it feeds. I personally like the magazine over the tube feed, it's just easier to load and unload.

For dirt cheap accuracy, look at the Zastava bolt action guns. They were sold as Charles Daly Superior II and Remington Model 5s. Super accurate and inexpensive.

Next i would definitely look at the CZ for a little more or the Marlin Model 60. Proven platforms for plenty of accuracy also.

The Zastava and CZ can have their triggers adjusted fairly nice for very little extra effort too.

Originally Posted By: shelton573 I don't have young ones now though (thank god, no offense to any one who does though!).
Thanks,
Shelton

No rule that says you have to use the single shot adapter.
Put it in the box and save it in case you have grand baby's.
shocked.gif

The M60's I've been around were good rifles too,,, if you like auto's.
I don't.

Luck

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthink id be tempted by a ruger american if i was looking to buy one.

It struck me as an interesting decision that Ruger chose to bring out a full size, bolt action, quality .22 rimfire in this day and age. With so much emphasis on the better, faster, hotter, rimfire cartridges these days, this struck me as a pretty bold (or foolish) move.

But then I handled one for the first time last week and I totally get it. What Ruger has done with this rifle is made a .22 that IS what so many others these days are not. Every part struck me as well-designed and the overall impression I had was that Ruger's motto with this gun was "question everything".

The trigger, the iron sights, the changeable stock, multiple barrel lengths available, and so forth. Everything seemed very well thought out and with an eye toward going beyond the shortcomings that plague so many other .22s.

Including Ruger's own offerings. It always makes me smile when guys talk about their 10/22 being a total tack driver and then it turns out that to make it this way they have replaced the barrel, the stock, the trigger, and a few misc action parts to boot. So what you're saying, then, is you took a minute-of-tennis-ball rifle, threw away all the parts that matter, and spent an exorbitant amount of money to build a totally custom rifle using only a few ancillary parts from the original? Yeah, a total tack driver.

I'd certainly look at the Ruger American if you're thinking of going the bolt action route.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthink id be tempted by a ruger american if i was looking to buy one.

It always makes me smile when guys talk about their 10/22 being a total tack driver and then it turns out that to make it this way they have replaced the barrel, the stock, the trigger, and a few misc action parts to boot. So what you're saying, then, is you took a minute-of-tennis-ball rifle, threw away all the parts that matter, and spent an exorbitant amount of money to build a totally custom rifle using only a few ancillary parts from the original? Yeah, a total tack driver.

I'd certainly look at the Ruger American if you're thinking of going the bolt action route.

Grouse

Guilty. Even after I spent a bunch of money on a few 10/22s with barrels, triggers, all the mods they still could only shoot as well as my bone stock $92 Marlin Model 70.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthink id be tempted by a ruger american if i was looking to buy one.

It struck me as an interesting decision that Ruger chose to bring out a full size, bolt action, quality .22 rimfire in this day and age. With so much emphasis on the better, faster, hotter, rimfire cartridges these days, this struck me as a pretty bold (or foolish) move.

But then I handled one for the first time last week and I totally get it. What Ruger has done with this rifle is made a .22 that IS what so many others these days are not. Every part struck me as well-designed and the overall impression I had was that Ruger's motto with this gun was "question everything".

The trigger, the iron sights, the changeable stock, multiple barrel lengths available, and so forth. Everything seemed very well thought out and with an eye toward going beyond the shortcomings that plague so many other .22s.

Including Ruger's own offerings. It always makes me smile when guys talk about their 10/22 being a total tack driver and then it turns out that to make it this way they have replaced the barrel, the stock, the trigger, and a few misc action parts to boot. So what you're saying, then, is you took a minute-of-tennis-ball rifle, threw away all the parts that matter, and spent an exorbitant amount of money to build a totally custom rifle using only a few ancillary parts from the original? Yeah, a total tack driver.

Grouse

Thanks for the reply! I keep coming back to the american. It looks well built even in the pictures. I need to go handle one maybe this weekend if I can find one. Thanks!

Shelton

Last edited:
Back