Got a rare one

jmeddy

Well, I think I finally got this Lymes "chit" behind me. Started the Monday before Thanksgiving and after the 2nd week of doxycycline I felt better so made 4 "dry"sets last Thurs., 4 Mon. with answers at 2, and 4 last night (Thurs).

Monday night I had walked about 3/4 mile from the road and 300' up elevation to the 1st set and got answers both to my east and west but neither were close. Stayed close to an hour with 1 more response from the east. Broke the stand and backtracked to the next hollow for set # 2. About 15min in I get a response to a pair howl to my west and within 4-500 yds at the bottom of the hollow-thinking "maybe". 35min later nothing has shown--kinda normal for here. This place is tight and I can only see 50-60 yds in front of me down the hill where I expect they might show and maybe 100y left and right except for a 20 degree swath at my 9-10:30 into the hayfield knob that I made my first set over said knob. Paying most of my attention in the 180 degrees downhill because of the tightness I would only occasionally glance towards the knob.
Yep, here comes 2 running to pup distress at maybe 60yds uphill off the knob. I mute the call and spin me and the tripod 90+ degrees (which now has the legs at least 1ft. up the hill from where they were adjusted for). One makes me and runs while the other stops to take a dump (remind you of anything Owen), problem with the "crapper is #1. I can only see its hips and tail because of a tree trunk, #2. my gun is pointing way too high and as I raise up and move the tripod it gets finished and runs after the other!!

Now to Last night. Hunted 3 sets on different farms with nothing seen or heard. Driving towards home I was pondering where to go for my last set and decided to go to a property that butts up to town. This hayfield wasn't mowed as of late Oct. but figured it would be huntable now as the vegetation has died--well it was bushhogged. It is between 50 and 80yds wide ad about 350yds long bordering a big thick hollow that ends in a subdivision at the south.
Started with some rat distress, silence, then a lone howl. A few minutes later I got an answer from several coyotes at the bottom of the hollow. I went quiet for about 10 min then did some whimpering/whines with the diaphragm for maybe 30seconds. I could see some deer now and then in the woods a hundred or so in front of me and suddenly they took off running. I turned on record and according to my scope 1:38 later 2 coyotes were at the woods edge. Quick vid cause it was tight. She flopped down the hill about 10-12 yds. 3rd one of this color I have killed over the years. 1 at 8:50 am, 1 with red lights, and this one.

Last edited:
Very cool color. What's even more surprising is that you've killed 3 of them. Does most black coloration occur by mixing with domesticated dogs at some point?

That's a nice one, Mike. (y)

Well, I think I finally got this Lymes "chit" behind me. Started the Monday before Thanksgiving and after the 2nd week of doxycycline I felt better so made 4 "dry"sets last Thurs., 4 Mon. with answers at 2, and 4 last night (Thurs).
You need to break out the Permethrin or buy the concentrate and mix your own. Great stuff!

Very pretty. I think the black is a gene variation that gets triggered at times. As to the tick issue, I spray all my outdoors clothing with the Sawyer brand spray. Lasts for a few months, clothes can be washed without losing effects.If they do get on you, they die almost immediately.

Darn, that's too bad; must have picked up a tick doing your yard at home or something.

We had lots of ticks where I hunted and, until I learned about Sawyer's, it was a real problem. In the last 8 years or so, after Sawyers, I never had another tick. When our Academy quit handling Sawyers, I started buying concentrated version and mixing my own to same strength (.5% Permethrin, 99.5 % inert) at a fraction of the cost.

Again, congratulations on the black coyote. Always said if I was fortunate enough to shoot a black one, I'd have it mounted, but alas, it was not to be. Closest I ever came was this one, so guess that ship has sailed.
1702745761751.jpeg

Glad you're getting better!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Been using permetherin for years and mix at 1% from concentrate (a good friends son in law is a CSM and says that is what % the Army uses) on all my woods clothes except my bow hunting clothes. Also keep it on all my taxidermy shop clothes and have Suz do tick checks each day l am in the shop. The 2 that l dug out were from bow hunting and dont know how l missed them but did. Anyhow, caught it early so all should be ok. Time will tell.

That's some mean stuff. We've been fortunate in that it has not been much of a problem down here. The ticks are bad enough w/o worrying about lyme disease. :) Glad you caught it early.

I've never seen a brunette coyote out here, all we have are blondes! Glad you're on the mend and getting back out.

Black ones rank right up there. My first called coyote was a beautiful black one called to within 10 yards of me, and he got away before I could get a shot off. I have been hyperventilating ever since.

So guys I finally reupped here (I got messed up during switch I was tractorman) I saw this post a month ago and wanted to reply but couldn't. I didn't know the colors were so rare. Im sure you guys wont believe me but back when I was in my 20s (48 now) I killed a couple black coyotes and I killed a solid white one or close to it with no red eyes. The white one had been running behind my house for a couple years. It looked blonde. I finally killed it and took it to show my mom. She was the first to see all my trophies. I took it to her work and showed her and another lady saw it and asked if she could have it. Said her husband wanted one to mount but could not hit the side of a barn. So I gave it to her. When guy had it mounted and the taxi washed it out it was white. They had it mounted with a quail in its mouth. Years later the guy passed from cancer and I remembered the mount. I asked about it and they said after he passed they auctioned it off in an auction and it brought good money. I wish I could get that one back. Upon reading all these posts I feel grateful for having taken two rare colors.

If you want your old account back you can contact Stu w/your current email and the user name you had and he can give you a temporary password so you can set your new password and get into old acct.

I always wanted a black one and finally got one after 16 years. Only have ever seen 2-3 in that time. Finally Picking up the mount this weekend. Turned out exactly as I wanted.

Attachments

• FAB3C19B-B9D4-4D50-876B-9A699C709521.png
    FAB3C19B-B9D4-4D50-876B-9A699C709521.png
    421.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 2CB5EF61-4D4B-44F0-86ED-518B8C89EE9B.png
    2CB5EF61-4D4B-44F0-86ED-518B8C89EE9B.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 01577029-4C33-4B26-A0CF-3EE19B890161.png
    01577029-4C33-4B26-A0CF-3EE19B890161.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 5762362C-DD1B-4A78-8475-F0BB30DF35D7.png
    5762362C-DD1B-4A78-8475-F0BB30DF35D7.png
    393.6 KB · Views: 39
Be aware that the commercial clothes treatments use additives to improve how the permethrin adheres to fabrics. Diluting from concentrate may wash off faster. Clothing should look damp from treatment, must dry completely, don't allow spray on your skin. Even permethrin is not 100% protection from ticks, as some do not die quickly and may still transfer to skin.

Back