ground hogs vs coyotes

Originally Posted By: truckinbutch Live on a 235 acre beef operation outside of Morgantown ,WV. In years past it was normal to shoot 60-70 groundhogs a year.Our summer sport after 1st cutting of hay is finished .500yd+ shots if you were gunned up enough to make the trip. Nothing to see 75-100 deer grazing on a late summer 2 mile drive across our single lane county road .
Then the coyotes showed up. 3 summers back we got 10 hogs off a 32acre meadow that normally yeilded 35 per summer.Same proportion
on the rest of the farm.Last summer we got none.The few we saw were around buildings and in the edges of my yard where they are protected.
Last summer and through the winter between shooting and trapping
we killed 11 yotes in a 50acre area .Fawn crop looked a bit better this year and we are getting a few hogs back .
I let people hunt hogs and yotes if ya care to contact me.
Forgot to mention that red foxes have been protected here for
over 70 years and we had some nice ones . They are gone too.

PM sent truckinbutch

Dave

We used to have a lot of groundhogs and hardly any coyotes. Now we have a lot less groundhogs and quite a few coyotes.

That coyote (and his friends) are there every day, day after day. Over time I am sure they take more groundhogs than the hunters.

Back