Guess who is back) Dec moon calling reports.. yeah baby!<-----------

New_Coyote

Hey,
Well first I want to say hi to all my coyote killers out there in predator masters world!!!
smile.gif

How is everyone??
Well your guys know the drill post pic and story's here.....

Cant wait to see what is in store for this year..

Good luck to everyone who makes it out this moon..

Chris

Chris. hate to tell you but.....
Kirby joined a monistary and has quit hunting/photographing. said he'd rather take pic's of flowers and such. we all miss him dearly.

Quote:Kirby joined a monistary and has quit hunting/photographing. said he'd rather take pic's of flowers and such....
w00t.gif
...I can just imagine him now, attempting to convert a bunch of Jesuit Priests to a basic understanding of the hearafter and the active presence of spirits...
lol.gif

Do NOT listen to borkon Chris, he fabricates. I was recently mortally gored by a bull horned toad ( a wild one, not some store bought docile one). Turns out they don't like being rode bare back.

frown.gif

Had an interesting night! Watched one commit suicide. I still can't believe it. I was hunting a small lake there was one spot of open water about 75 yards long and 25 yards wide. I watched one go right up to it and fall in! It splashed around the edge for about 35 minutes before I didn't hear it anymore. I was going to put it out of its misery, but never felt comfortable with making a good shot.
Called another lake and called in a fox right away and it escaped due to a weapons malfunction. Pulled the trigger on the shotgun and it made a crack sound and the pellets just rolled out the end of the barrel. I was grateful I didn't try another round, when I called it back out, the wad was stuck in the barrel (which I thought might be the case). Called in 2 coyotes on the same stand and they both got away too. 1 came charging down the shoreline and either spotted me moving or caught some scent and took off across the lake. The other was probably 150 yards behind the first and never gave me an opportunity.

Crazy story, Im hoping to get out tonight if bartending is slow. Would love to shake the dust off before heading out west on thurs!

where ya heading Todd??. i'm also heading out west for 2-3 weeks. just got done casing up 3 rifles/calls/whites and such. time to start stackin.

I tried out a new hunting partner tonight
thumbup.gif

DSCN1258.jpg

She was on the phone with her mom (we dont speak much) and over heard me say, "look at that moon". Next thing she said was "he never takes me hunting" So being the smart guy I am I said loud enough to be heard over the phone, "Do you want dinner now or do you want to go call a coyote?" She chose hunting and hung up on mommy.
cool.gif
I love being father of the year. I told her she would have to come up with some whites if she wanted to go out and play. A thermal henly, a wool woodland white vest, and a bomber hat later and she was good to go.

She was a trooper. It was cold (9) and the wind never realy laid down. We diddnt see any coyotes or fox, but we did see a couple of deer, and we got the police called on us (worked out). What a wonderfull way to start the winter calling season.
tt2.gif

So first night of huntable moon light and snow, 2 dry stands. I guess I will see what the rest of the week brings. Even comming up dry, I still love this game.

I went out the night before last and had two dry stands, it was snowing a bit and overcast. I know there are some around based on what I saw and heard last month. But none showed their pretty little faces. Im going to try again tonight if the clouds stay away.

Hey, Chris good to see your back. Ready to get to it? I've spent the majority of the fall chasing the coyotes but have eased off with deer season. Ready to hit it at night if only we could get more snow here.

Did you make it out west after Thanksgiving? I've got out there a handfull of time this fall and had some really nice days calling. I'm thinking of heading out next week if you are intrested but havn't made any solid plans.

Let me know if you want to get out after some cats while they are in season. Been tough so far. I did have a good chase last week with the dogs that ended with a treed cat, but hard to cut a track with so little snow here.

Good to see you back at it. Now if we could just get Phil to put down the shotgun and pick up a rifle.....

Tim

Winter is back and so is full moon predator hunting. There will be some good reading and pics on this page. I sure hope to add to my kill list with more pics this year. My calling needs a little help. Good luck to all.

Got lucky at 10:00 PM tonight. First set of the year and knocked one down with a 60 grain Vmax charging hard straight at me across a small pond.

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one. Think I'm going to have to make a few sets tonight. At least get my gear together and see if I can still toot a call. Sounds like it should be a good night for it, clear and crispy.

Night #1

Ends without any talkers or takers. Unfortunately the big winter storm missed us with the snow and only rained on our parade. The light dusting of about an inch last night helps but we could use more snow. Tried 3 sets and didn't have any luck. On the walk out of set #1 I did find 3 sets of tracks so they are around. Well off to bed and sweet dreams of coyotes running in to the call.......

Night #2

The adventure continues......

Set #1 Bro and I went out hunting tonight, moon was high and bright with more snow needed. The first set was overlooking an alfalfa field surrounded by cedar swamp. We began calling and had a group of coyotes start howling off in the distance. We responded with some coyote vocals and they would talk back. Unfortunately they were way off in the distance and eventually shut up.

Set #2 Next location we set up next to an irrigation pond on the sand piles along it. In front of us was a hay field and behind was a cut corn field with a cedar swamp to the left. I started the set with some rodent sounds and then went to the "Lightning Jack" on the FoxPro. 8 minutes into the set we had a hard charger come in and was trotting along the tall grass along the pond on the opposite side. With the minimal snow conditions it was very hard to pick the coyote up unless it was moving. Well he continued around the pond into the brush and eventually came out onto the corn field. Once on the corn field he circled down wind and would not stop for a shot. The constant movement along with a myriad of trees along the pond was detrimental on any shot opportunities. Eventually he got our wind and headed outa Dodge for good. Exciting as [beeep], but aggravating that no shot was taken.

Set #3 This would be the last set of the night. We were calling from a cut corn field in an area that we have had success at before. Tried the same sequence as set #2 but didn't see or hear anything.

Well the night was fun and got out of the house for some fresh air. Sure wish we could get some fresh snow though. I gotta say the upgrade to the FoxPro was worth every dime.

Night #3

Tonight I headed out with the neighbor to try and put some fur on the ground. High and bright moon, but snow conditions are marginal at best. We found the best areas to see anything are the cut corn fields. So we had our strategy for tonight...

Set #1 We walked in about a third of a mile to get to a hill that overlooks a creek bottom. We are set up in a corn field and have a hayfield to right of us. I started the FoxPro with rodent distress and then switched to "Lightning Jack”. We called this set for about 20 minutes and didn't see anything.

Set #2 We next decided to try a set where I killed my first solo double last fall. Same rotation of calls and didn't see or hear anything.

Set #3 This is our "Ace in the Hole"........ We set up behind the farm buildings on the neighbor’s farm. Winter Whites blend in well with the white silage bags and this set has been over .500 for the last 3 years. This was the site of our first Wisconsin double 2 winters ago. I started calling using all the same sounds that we have been using during this full moon. After about 13 minutes we haven't seen anything so I start playing with the FoxPro. Tried out some of the cottontail and higher pitch rabbit sounds and then flowed into the injured kitten sound. At about the 18 minute mark I spot a coyote and can barely make him out against a dark backdrop. I get the old .204 on him and squeeze of the round. Feels great to finally knock one down!!!

We finish out the set and take a walk over to the coyote......... Where is the dog???? There is no way I missed, the shot felt great........ We proceeded to find where the coyote was standing in the snow and there is no sign of a hit. I backtrack on his tracks and can't see anything so I am feeling really bewildered about this situation. I go back to where the coyote was standing and look back towards my shooting position. I noticed that the coyote was actually on the back side of a small rise in the field. When I crouched done to his level I am looking through the corn stubble to see where I was sitting. No frickn’ way can this be possible and this coyote could be this lucky. Time to go CSI and figure this mystery out. I started walking back towards my shooting position and then I see it. About 30 yards in front of the coyotes position is the remnants of a corn stalk and the chaff from it laying on top of the snow. It would appear that the bullet took an abrupt change in direction on its way to my coyote. I have never had this happen in my life and still can't believe how lucky that yote was......

So the saga of the 2011 coyote season continues. Although I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about not getting that coyote. It was another fun and memorable night. At least we are getting a few to come to the call.

Do dogs have 9 lives too?????????????

We have snow, we have coyotes(I know this because I heard and saw plenty of them last month). But I have not had one make any noise or move a bit in the last two nights. 6 stands and all dry. Im not sure what to think at this point, other than to keep at it. Sooner or later, hopefully sooner. I will get one to move.

Got out last night for a few sets...

Called the first set watching a ridge line, ran through the usual call sequence and was just about to call it when I spotted a coyote to my left on a terrace. I threw a few lip squeaks at him but he didn't respond. He was a out 170-180 yds out and headed for our downwind. I was just about to bark him, but he stopped. I felt rock solid so I touched one off... the loud thump of the bullet and the heap in the scope told me he was down for good. It was a good sized coyote, big male . So far I'm liking the 70 gr. Nosler BTs out of my 6x45.

b6fcfb3b.jpg

439819c0.jpg

The second set was at spot we've had great luck at in the past... last night it was dry.

Third spot... set up overlooking a big valley surrounded by woods. After about 8 minutes we had one pop out to our right working its way downwind. My buddy was on him, barked... and a miss. I had to wait for a clear shot and when I had the chance, was faced with a coyote in road gear at 150+ yds. I squeezed off 3 shots on the run and came up empty.

We decided to try one more to shake off the miss but ended the night with a dry stand. It was great to get back out and hear that bullet make contact. Headed out tonight with my son at some old haunts that should be productive. Good luck out there...

Back