Gun camo 101

BasinBoy

Howdy, the gun in the pic is NEF. as far as desert examples
go your looking at it. light tan or sand back ground with dark brown filler. the point is to knock down the shine. any color or vegatation will do. here in michigan we hunt in the snow (under normal conditions) more than anything else, but i dont "snow camo" my guns. I feel this technique
will work anywhere any terrain.

Mr.ACKLEY, I own four Harleys and a Savage(rice), I'm with ya on the personalizing issue.

Shameless

BasinBoy,
I just did my cz 527 in desert camo...really helps with glare and to break-up solid outline and sillohette.
finishcamo2.jpg

I tried it for the 1st time and rushed it a little bit, but it turned out okay I think. The rifle is a Marlin .22 LR that I never shoot.

I started by disassembling the rifle, masking it off where I didn't want paint, and priming it. Then I applied a tan base with Krylon special purpose camo tan. Once things were coated nicely I used butcher paper to make some freehand stencils and then sprayed them on with Krylon camo olive drab green. That's it.

461521.JPG

461524.JPG

Lessons learned:

1) If you're going to do it, make sure you take the time to do it right (i.e. letting the last coat dry before applying the next).

2) Use something stouter than butcher paper for stencils.

3) Practicing on something you don't care about before you camo something valuable is smart. Undoing spray-paint is a pain in the...

spray paint will work on cloth but the problems that ive run into with it is it really stiffens it up. i made a ghille suit with tanish brulap and just spray painted it, it took some time to get it loosend up again but its the color i want it so it works for me.

I have been throwing around the idea of spray painting my shotgun.

How easy is the paint to remove, using a substance that won't damage the finish on the gun? If there is such thing?

Those are some great looking paint jobs guys!

I just bought a new stainless rifle....but I don't think I am quite ready to paint it yet. Has anyone tried that camo shrink wrap? I guess it's similar to tape.....but on a sheet....then you heat it with a hair dryer.

Cabelas Snake Skin?

Yeah I use it on my shotgun. I don't have a local cabelas and can't make the time ot travel that often to pick some more up. I have a couple more shotguns I was either gonna wrap with the skin, or paint.

If you search, I posted a thread with pictures about the product. Great stuff!

Couple pics of my once solid black Nova.....

saved about $90 over store bought camo model /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I love the 3 1/2 mag with super turkey choke for close in coyotes !!!

Last edited:
Nice work people...they all look sweet! My only concern with using these methods/materials is how well they hold up to gun cleaning solvents. I'm guessing not very well. While this is the much easier route to a camo firearm, I may go with a duracoat finish myself.

With the exterior painted, I just clean the interior with solvents, etc.

I just wipe down the exterior to keep dust, moisture, etc. off it... Have 2 other weapons painted like this, one for 7 years the other for 9 and both are in great shape.

A little rattle can touch up every once in a while keeps them looking good.

Back