Had to run for my life

John Brent Roy

Its finally getting cool here in Louisiana. I have permission to hunt a large expanse of soybean fields with adjacent woods. The other night I went there, I can drive my car right up to it, and blew that Tony Tebbe custom made call he made. After the third call, those coyotes chimed in and chills ran down my spine. Got nervous and ran back to my car. Phew! Can't wait to go and make a stand this afternoon.

Do you mean to say that you went out calling predators without being armed???
confused.gif
... What would you have done if they had caught up with you before you got back to the car???
confused.gif

It's always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it....and it doesn't do you any good if it is behind the seat in your truck and you are out in a bean field somewhere and get surprised... They have a lot of courage when in a pack...

After the floods here in '93, we had several packs of feral dogs that got really aggressive and our farmers in the river bottoms had to start carrying rifles on their tractors, as the dogs saw them as a food source...

OldTurtle....
Around here if you are caught with a firearm at night yu get brought to the three-star bed and breakfast. First they take your fingerprints, bring you to your room with one bed, toilet, lavatory and bed in the same room. No view, but you have TV. Then three times a day they open the door, which is made of steel bars, and serve you! Nope....I don't pack after dark.

what kinda hunter runs from his target animal......whatdja think was gonna happen when you hit that TT call? get a concealed carry permit and carry. I take my .45 ACP I built but if it came down to them or me, I'd knife as many as I could....but I'll stand my ground and if they get me, they get me.....you ain't right boy......if you's afeared, say you's afeard.......

I've always looked at it as a difference between being prepared for self defense and hunting....

If I head out on a country road with a hand siren to try to locate Coyotes,,,it's obvious that I'm not hunting, but I'm still armed... If I'm hunting, I'll have enough goodies with me that there is no question...

Most game officials will observe what you are doing before approaching...hopefully they can tell the difference between a caller and a hunter...Now if you hit the fields after dark with a spot light, rifle, camo and all the rest of the goodies,,, I can see where you might be mistaken for a 'hunter'...But in normal street clothes with a caller and a holstered carry side arm, it would be a different matter..

I'd certainly contact your local game officer and discuss the matter with him/her...I know that when I talked to our local officer about using a Turkey call for Coyote hunting, he gave me the same advice to avoid being suspected of Turkey hunting out of season...Just let them know generally where you will be...

Well Louisiana is about like Arkansas. You better not be out after dark with a firearm. You can have it cased and shells better be away from the gun period. I don't think that would have helped him any out in the field. I remember one time I drove over to a wooded area in my truck and got out and made a howl and those yotes started up right in my lap. I got back in the truck and even wanted to role up the window. Back years ago I use to bow hunt all the time. I had shot a deer and it had gotten late and I need a better light to help find it. Went home and when I got back I could see a lot of eyes and thought the deer were eating acorns around me. Well those deer turned out to be coyotes and yes a pack of them. I was armed with a knife and believe me I didn't want no part of them. Went back and got my dogs and came back and found my deer. I know what you mean.Rick

I've coon hunted alot, but never in the daytime. Always used a rifle too. I know guys that hunt hogs all night... with guns. Everything I just said is legal.

Legal yes but I would think you better have a dog in the truck with you. I remember and it has been over 25 years a go that you could only hunt with a .22 rim fire when coon hunting and the season started around Dec and ran through Feb and they called it Fur Bearing season. Now I know coon season and hog season is pretty much all the time. I also know that any Game Warden can pretty much tell what you are hunting and how your hunting it when they confront you. The Arkansas Game and Fish go all out to protect their deer herd from any type of night hunting. Best keep the firearms at home during the night or you could end up with a ticket.

Originally Posted By: Terminator
what kinda hunter runs from his target animal......

This one does!! XD its fun hunting them but they do give me the creeps and ive been on a few stands and get a weird feeling i just pack up and leave wolves and coyotes creep me out, mtn lions scare me, and bears they scare me but not like the others

im still trying to get the gahones to go and park on a ridge and let out a few howls.... but im not afraid of the coyotes the wolves and their deep howl scares me like no other

Last edited:
I would indeed look into a ccw, having a new call and human nature being what it is, well you are going to see if it works.

Even if i couldn't get a ccw i would be packing if i was out calling, i would rather have a ticket and free r/b than get chewed on by a pack of dogs. The best that could happen if that should happen is you get the joy of rabies shots, the worst is you didn't live to get the shots.

The bottom line is still the same, be prepared. blue

I'm pretty goof friends with some of the game wardens around here, and I've talked to the 'head honcho' Winton Vidrine of the LW&F/ Nice guy. But a law is a law and I don't want to be issued a citation. I used to coon hunt when I was in my teens at night. Regulations were you could have only one gun no matter how many in y our party with it beng a single shot .22. Took my girlfriend a couple of nights but never saw a coon. Hey Lungbuster get your finger out of my wife's navel!

Can run dogs year round. Can kill coons only during season. Open season on hogs all the time. I'm just giving excuses for having a gun handy. Snakes, coons, hogs, etc. Do whatever makes ya happy.

That CCW permit wont help you here in MI once you engage in any hunting related activity, other than allowing you to carry it under your clothing,the same laws apply to it as a rifle.

If I take my boys out shineing to look for deer I must leave my hand gun home. The law here states it is illegal to shine deer w/a firearm in the vehicule.

SSG RED

Sounds like a good way to educate coyotes.
If ya know you can't have a firearm, why go and call prime ground at night???
Not being critical, just don't see the logic.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuSounds like a good way to educate coyotes.
If ya know you can't have a firearm, why go and call prime ground at night???
Not being critical, just don't see the logic.

I know tons of folks who do it. It's called scouting. Just looking for a response.

Calling and scounting are two different things there jeep. You call a predator up to you just to look at him? How many times do you think yer gonna call that one up?

JeepDUDE,Fair enough,"scouting".
If calling in yotes, with no intent to harvest them, is "scouting". I guess I don't do any "scouting".
I'm no expert, but I kill a few yotes. We have a "trick" called "locating". Difference is that we howl, get a responce, and leave. Also, only do this on new ground when we are trying to get an idea of coyote population.If I know there are yotes in an area, calling with no intent to harvest,is simply educating.
"Scout" how ever you like.

Back