Hand Priming Tool

Malazan

Who makes the best Hand Priming Tool to use?

I'm just getting started into reloading so any advise on this tool will be appreciated.

Last edited:
RCBS. Offer various models. Mine fits in my hand and doesn't move around like the Lee model did. The Lee also has much too slick a surface for my liking. After two weeks of using the Lee, I gave it away. The quality was another concern, but each to his own. The RCBS does cost about twice that of a Lee but IMO, is much stronger built and dependable. You also need Lee Shellholders for the Hand Primer that are different than the Shellholders you use in the Press. RCBS uses the same Shellholders in both. Price sometimes shouldn't be the only consideration. Go look at and hold each of them and then make your choice.

Lee is great.
You do need to keep the pivot points greased.
I have been seating primers for at least 50 years and I use the Lee.

Jack

I use a lee that came in my reloading kit and it came with all of the shell holders included. The RCBS cost $49.99 on sale and the lee with the shell holders for all calibers comes to $29.98. I like the lee and have had no problems with it. Everyone I have talked to on other forums say if you keep the moving parts lubed it will last a long time, like years. I've never used the RCBS so I won't say it isn't better. Once you have the shell holders if the lee breaks you are only out $14.99 to replace it if your 2 year warranty is up. Lee will replace or repair for the life of the item for shipping and half the price of the parts if I remember correctly.

I can only speak to the RCBS. It's the only one that I have owned or used and it is a work horse. Well made, like all RCBS equipment.

I don't know anything about the RCBS so I can't help you there, but I have been using my Lee for 30 years now and it's never given me a reason to want to switch to anything else.

I prefer the Lee, I have an RCBS also but always use the Lee, just a little more ergonomic. Like Jack said grease the pivot points on the Lee.

I have 4-5 Lees sitting around. Used em since the early 80's.. They wear out eventually, or break. The last primer tool I bought is an RCBS w/universal shell holder. It is built much more heavy duty than the Lee. And it works much better IMO.. The Lee is made out of plastic, the RCBS out of good metal parts..

I am on my 3rd LEE. Never thought of lubing the pressure points in the handle. Perhaps if I had done that, I would still be on my first one. Will try that right away.

I use the Lee. Originally bought two as I was told they would break (about eight years ago) and the second one is still in the box.

My .02...

I have two Lee primers so I can use one for each sm and lg.
I have had two handles snap off, both I believe priming Lg. Both had a little grease applied. Parts can be purchased seperately for cheap, I think a handle at Midway is only like $3.99 + $12 S&H

Back