Handheld scanner vs weapon mount: What’s your preferred routine?

Bastain

New member
Quick question for you guys—when you’re out scanning, do you mostly use a dedicated handheld thermal/optic, or do you just rely on whatever is mounted on your rifle?

I tried doing everything off the rifle last weekend and my neck was screaming at me by the end of the night. Curious how you guys balance carrying both vs keeping things lightweight.
 
Handheld dedicated scanner. 100%
360 degree scanning with far less movement. Less fatigue. Safer than pointing a loaded firearm all over the place looking for and identifying a target.
Me too, I use an old padded Swarovski neck strap on the scanner similar to this one:

1789825019050.png
 
handheld for sure. having to scan with my rifle is a giant PITA. way more convenient to scan with a small handheld.

i'm not saying there isnt a place for weapon mounted NV/Thermal, just that for purposes of scanning - thats not where it belongs, IMHO.
 
Handheld mounted on a selfie stick (THANKS KIRSCH!!). Tried a helmet-not for me and Ron, I can scan while peeing :ROFLMAO:. I just let go of the scanner when I move to the gun and it falls against my chest on its lanyard.
I also am almost never scanning 360 because of my terrain/cover except occasionally.
 
Last edited:
I can scan while peeing :ROFLMAO:. I just let go of mine when I move to the gun and it falls against my chest on its lanyard.
Mike, you do see how this can be both confusing and taken out of context, right? 🤣

I do on occasion get to scan 360, happened to me last season whete a pair showed up from a location they never had before. I’m of the opinion that if you can see behind you, you should look behind you occasionally! I definitely have a few setups where 270 is necessary. I stand by my previous statement that in my opinion, a handheld dedicated scanning device is superior to scanning with an optic mounted on a firearm. I’m certainly not going to tell someone it’s the only way. To each their own.
 
Curious how you guys balance carrying both vs keeping things lightweight.
Now days with the units advancing so rapidly, You can get into hands free nav for thousands less than just a few years ago. I personally use a scanner 95% of the time to navigate, scan and locate on set. If you are interested in getting into a handheld scanner or helmet mounted, shoot me a PM.
 
Don't scan with your rifle. It's horribly inefficient and kind of dangerous.
I've used binos and a handheld monocular. Both fit well in a bino harness on your chest. Just get one that includes tethers so you can drop it and get on the gun quickly.
Either way, a small selfie stick is a game changer. You can scan for hours without shoulder fatigue.
 
Don't scan with your rifle. It's horribly inefficient and kind of dangerous.
I've used binos and a handheld monocular. Both fit well in a bino harness on your chest. Just get one that includes tethers so you can drop it and get on the gun quickly.
Either way, a small selfie stick is a game changer. You can scan for hours without shoulder fatigue.
And if anybody out there has upgraded and has an old useable 384 resolution around I am interested in buying one. Send me a PM.
 
Don't scan with your rifle. It's horribly inefficient and kind of dangerous.
I've used binos and a handheld monocular. Both fit well in a bino harness on your chest. Just get one that includes tethers so you can drop it and get on the gun quickly.
Either way, a small selfie stick is a game changer. You can scan for hours without shoulder fatigue.
I disagree , but you are entitled to your opinion.
 
Back
Top