heaviest bullet weight 1-9 twist

It varies from gun to gun and the various bullets, but 70 grains will probably work just fine. Anything heavier you will just have to try it to see if you like it. The 65 Sierra gameking kicks butt in my 1-9. The heavy Barnes don't work at all for me.

The heavy Barnes' bullets are long for their weight since they're all copper. A 62TSX is longer than a 69gr Sierra, and just a bit shorter than a 77gr Sierra. It's the length that matters for stabilizing bullets, usually the longer the bullet the heavier though.....unless you start talking all copper bullets such as the Barnes' offerings.

josebd, You don't mention what your twist rate is????

I know I've post this pic a few times but it does a good job of showing the various length's of some common .224 bullets side by side.

In order.

50 Vmax, 52 SMK, 53 TSX, 55 FMJ, 62 TSX, 69 SMK, 77 SMK, 75 Amax

100_1554.jpg

Here's another good photo (not my pic, I snagged it off the net) showing quite a few .224 bullet lengths. Grids are .1" squares.

22lineupx685b.jpg

The 75 grain Amax is one of the highest BC .224 bullets for the 9 twist. You have to make sure that the box states "for 1-9 twist" as some are made for 8 twist. However, you have to load single and that is true for most heavy (over 69 grain) .224 bullets as they cannot safely be loaded to magazine length.

Back