Help can't make up my mind 204?

ID Clyde

Simple Question maybe. Have been looking to get a .204 just can't decide in what platform AR, bolt, or Ruger number one. pretty much just going to be used for coyote hunting and rock chucks. Any and all options thanks for the help.

Love number 1s, but they have their place and this isn't it. Some people enjoy the ergonomics of an AR. I can get into it.
My opinion is buy a bolt action. If you can afford it, get a Cooper. If you can't, get a CZ OR Tikka. I am not a Kimber fan. Love controlled round feed actions, but every time I look at one in person there's some little something that sticks out as being wrong, and for that much.... It shouldnt. I was in the Cabelas outpost in Lubbock the other day and they had a Pro Varmint in 204. The barrel touched the stock the full length of the forearm on the left side. Ouch!

I've never truly seen a Tikka or CZ that wouldn't go better than MOA with good factory Ammo. I'm sure they exist, but I can't say I've got proof.

Just my opinion. I guess I'm pretty picky.

The No. 1 is a beautiful rifle, but for a falling block design, they tend to leave a lot to be desired in the accuracy department. Not unacceptably inaccurate, but definitely not what a guy would expect from a rifle these days, and definitely not what a guy would expect for a rifle that costs that much. That withstanding, single shots as a whole have their own particular limitations that kinda suck for hunting. I've had a few No 1 and No 3 Rugers, sad I sold them now, LOVED a stainless/laminate 45-70, and never should have gotten rid of a 416Rem Mag I had, but when I get objective about it, I remember why I sold them, and I probably wouldn't ever buy another one now.

Bolt guns in the 204 Ruger are poetic; they're well behaved, bark fire, and deliver lasers. My first 204 was a Savage bolt gun, it wasn't the machine that I needed at the time, but I wasn't without a 204 for very long before I needed to get another one - an AR...

In an AR, the 204Ruger can get real hot real fast, and they need a bit of barrel to get the most out of the cartridge, but if you're interested in a 22" or 24", you can have a LOT of fun with a 204 AR.

Here's my current 204R that I finished up this past winter - it's the complete rifle, the lone upper is a 6.8spc, both are Black Hole Weaponry barrels:

BDCD2468-A174-4E8F-99D9-570F4AA706A0_zpswzirk6ig.jpg

I haven't shot a BHW barrel yet that wouldn't pull under 3/4MOA even with my meager hands putting them together and my terrible eyesight behind the trigger. My wife gets more out of them, she's pulled both of these uppers under 1/2MOA for me.

I agree a single shot is the most limiting for the same money.
Bolt rifles can be had in most any price range from $300 to ridiculously frivolous.
Most AR rifles are quite accurate with quick follow up.
I have or have had them all and prefer bolt rifles the most.

My opinions, love my no. 1 and they can be made to shoot extremely well, but you have to make them, they are also heavy, even in a sporter contour

If this a carryiing rifle go with a regular sporter weight barrel, if you can drive.alot and carry a little then get a varmint weight, I love my 700vls but it has the same problem as the no.1, too heavy to lug around

My kimber 84L is super light but I EXPECTED MORE OUT A 1450 DOLLAR RIFLE.
To me most of the ar rifles are too fat for carrying also.

I vote for Tikka t3 lite with a 2.5-10×42 in split rings. Try to stay around 7.5 to 8.5 pounds.

Not sure what your budget is, but the TC Venture seems to be a pretty popular rifle in 204. There have been a couple recent reviews about them and they all seem to be good. I am HOPING to have one by the time I go home in December for Christmas/coyote hunting. I want to see what all the hype is about.

It's a tough question since it totally depends on your personal preferences...as well as intended primary use...

When the .204 first came out to the public, I had acquired a Savage 116 bolt action and fell in love with the round, as well as the rifle...Back then I was getting into Prairie Dogs and had a custom AR put together....Again, I was into the AR platform due to competition shooting, but it's not for everyone due to the ergonomic adjustments that need to be adapted by the shooter...The AR hasn't been shot for several years now...

I later acquired a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 and it's a great carry rifle, as well as being very accurate...It's one that I will pick up before almost any other center fire....However, for sustained shooting, it would not be my choice...Then, the AR comes out...

While I like the Ruger #1 concept, I've heard several report less than desirable accuracy, without a substantial degree of smith work in some calibers..Not my first choice since I'm primarily concerned with accuracy in any firearm...

I got a 24in bull barrel upper for my AR-15 years ago when the bull barrel was all that we could get. Today I use a 18in modified HBAR profile barrel for a lot of my predator hunting needs. I like to be able to change calibers quick and easy. It also helps when there is a run on ammunition. During the last big run on ammo I had 4 uppers, 17 Remington, 204 Ruger, .223 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, and 2 lowers. I like to learn my triggers inside and out, then I only have to change uppers. It made it so that I was one step ahead of the ammo grabbers.

Really starting to lean towards the CZ 527 have one in .223 and really like it also have a AR in .223 really like it as well. I personally would not spend the money on another kimber it just didn't shoot like i thought it should have. On the other hand maybe I should get the CZ and get a new upper for my AR it only seems fair. Thanks for all the input guys.

CZ in the model 527.....the American is the lighter Rifle,the Varmint is the longer slightly heavier barrel Rifle.

Another great .204 would be the Browning A-bolt Hunter in the regular Rifle or Micro-Hunter?They may be making it in the X-bolt now also?

The cheaper more affordable Rifles in a .204 would be the Savage or a Ruger American Predator,both are nice Rifles and Afforadable!

Last edited:
Guess it depends on how much weight you want to carry, but I'm too old to carry a heavy gun for coyotes. I have two Cooper .204's, but I use them for prairie dogs, not coyotes. I decided that an AR would be the perfect coyote gun after calling in a triple. Bought a Rock River, again too heavy. I finally got smart and bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 (fluted bbl, with 1/8 twist, weighs less than 6 lbs). The Tikka is an absolute tack driver, easily shooting under 1/2" at 100 yards.
However, I do use the Rock River for night hunting to use my light. Also, I did kill two out of three of the triple with a Tikka 22-250 bolt gun.

Originally Posted By: nr123Guess it depends on how much weight you want to carry, but I'm too old to carry a heavy gun for coyotes. I have two Cooper .204's, but I use them for prairie dogs, not coyotes. I decided that an AR would be the perfect coyote gun after calling in a triple. Bought a Rock River, again too heavy. I finally got smart and bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 (fluted bbl, with 1/8 twist, weighs less than 6 lbs). The Tikka is an absolute tack driver, easily shooting under 1/2" at 100 yards.
However, I do use the Rock River for night hunting to use my light. Also, I did kill two out of three of the triple with a Tikka 22-250 bolt gun.
The Tikka's have proven themselves repeatedly for me also.

To me a gun is a personal thing. I pick a caliber that will be best suited for what I want to use it for and then I get what I like buy the way it feels in my hands and buy the reputation of the maker. With that said I would never ask someone else to make up my mind for me. Good luck.

How bad do you want to kill coyotes???? If you really got the fever and hate to see one get away without knowing you did all you can then you will need an AR for the follow up shot capability. That said, once you have killed several and got over it you will start looking at bolt guns....the beauty of the 204 is how flat it will shoot. Start shortening up the barrel and losing velocity and you loose some of that flat shooting ability. That is when you start thinking about a bolt gun...you'll get one and get real confident with some of the longer shots you make, then you will start missing to the wind when you get way on out there....that is when you do what most of us do and go get a 22-250 with a little faster twist and shoot a little heavier wind bucking bullets. Best of luck and good hunting.

Originally Posted By: msincIf you really got the fever and hate to see one get away without knowing you did all you can then you will need an AR for the follow up shot capability.

lol. the things you read on the internet.

Back