Help New Howa 1500 Build

Tcm

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some answers from all of you with experience.
I really appreciate any help.

1. I have a 24" heavy varmint barreled action on its way, be here in about 2 weeks. I'm looking at Boyd's thumbhole and B&C medalist. If I get the Boyd's I will have it fiberglass bedded. The B&C comes with aluminum bedding so is it needed for my gunsmith to bed it also? If the B&C Doesn't need more bedding, is it drop in ready? Would hate to start sanding it myself and ruin it.

2. I will be using a 20 MOA rail, what size rings would be needed for these stocks (low, medium or high)? The medalist I would get would have the tall beaver tail type stock and the boyds is just the varmint thumbhole. I will be putting a millett TRS-1 4-16x50 scope on it for now. Anyone have experience on the millett scope?!

Again thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a B&C IMO. Or a Howa 1500 action, either.

I won't ever buy another Boyd's. EVER. Of course, I've never liked laminated stocks of ANY brand anyway. Even if the inletting is done correctly. FWIW, I'd say the stock Repete has on his 700 is the nicest Boyd's product I've seen.

Truth is, I'll never own another laminated handle period. They were never my thing, and still aren't. Same with thumbholes. A laminated thumbhole stock makes me wanna blow groceries. Always has. Sorry
tt2.gif

I have had great luck with my B&C stocks. I like them. The only addition I do is a couple of coats of MATTE clear coat to hold the paint/web. And I do bed in Devcon 10110. It's just a step to, when done correctly, should only lead to more consistency and accuracy.

I have always had good luck with boyds thumbhole laminates.Every one I have just drops in and the fit is perfect.I do however bed the action and recoil lug just to be sure.I really like the way they look and feel.

The Boyd stocks arent bad for the money.A little inletting is required along with bedding.Never owned a B&C,as with anything else shoot it and see how it does.If it requires skim bedding its a easy task.

Guys thanks for the inputs on the stocks! Im just getting into doing builds and havent shot either stock so was curious on others thoughts.

Any thoughts on the heights of scope rings for both of these stocks? will still be using a 20 MOA rail and scope with 50 objective.

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNothing wrong with a B&C IMO. Or a Howa 1500 action, either.

I won't ever buy another Boyd's. EVER. Of course, I've never liked laminated stocks of ANY brand anyway. Even if the inletting is done correctly. FWIW, I'd say the stock Repete has on his 700 is the nicest Boyd's product I've seen.

Truth is, I'll never own another laminated handle period. They were never my thing, and still aren't. Same with thumbholes. A laminated thumbhole stock makes me wanna blow groceries. Always has. Sorry
tt2.gif

Man, i feel the same way about laminates and thumbholes. Just the name "thumbhole" sounds well.......
Glad to hear im not the only one.

Originally Posted By: TcmGuys thats for the inputs one the stocks! Im just getting into doing builds and havent shot either stock so was curious on others thoughts.

Any thoughts on the heights of scope rings for both of these stocks? will still be using a 20 MOA rail and scope with 50 objective.

Thanks

Lows should do the trick.

Originally Posted By: RHR3Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNothing wrong with a B&C IMO. Or a Howa 1500 action, either.

tt2.gif

Man, i feel the same way about laminates and thumbholes. Just the name "thumbhole" sounds well.......
Glad to hear im not the only one.

Yep, just my personal preference.

I wish I had taken pics of the 25-06 my bud left in the pole barn from mid November until early May. Granted it was well below freezing for months, but the glue on the Boyd's began to let loose and the laminate actually started to separate and warp. I won't even get into how pi$$ poor the inletting was. The only other Boyd's I have worked on had horrible inletting also.

Like I said, I have never, ever, liked laminated stocks anyway. But Boyd's sure didn't do anything to sway my opinion in the other direction.......

I have decided to go with the B&C stock. My gunshop has told me that odds are that I'm going to need High Rings due to how big the barrel actually will be (The howa Varmint barrels) and the 50 objective scope. Now what are the thoughts on cheek welds? This scope setup is going to end up being a sky scraper and will need something to allow me to get up there and look down it in a natural cheek to gun feel/motion.

Thanks, you guys are helping this newbie out alot

Originally Posted By: TcmI have decided to go with the B&C stock. My gunshop has told me that odds are that I'm going to need High Rings due to how big the barrel actually will be (The howa Varmint barrels) and the 50 objective scope. Now what are the thoughts on cheek welds? This scope setup is going to end up being a sky scraper and will need something to allow me to get up there and look down it in a natural cheek to gun feel/motion.

Thanks, you guys are helping this newbie out alot

Rings are cheap and you're using a Picatinny. Try mediums first. What ranges are you shooting at? Don't sweat the petty schit, pet the sweaty schit. Get to shooting and that will tell you all you need to know.

Travis

I will be shooting from 100-650+. I have never been into range/distance shooting. Needed a new coyote gun, had some buddies that started long range shooting. So i figure build one for both.

Where I'm buying the barreled action, scope and rings from, they are telling me im going to need Highs! They have ordered a DEDNUT Game Reaper Tactical 20 MOA for me with highs. This thing is the rail and rings into one. Im not a huge fan of it but i have read alot on them and they seem to be built well. I just cant imagine how tall this mount will be with highs! All i want is a business card to make it between the barrel and scope, not fit a toy car between them!

If you do a little research, specs on scopes, rails, rings are all readily available.

Not all 20moa rails are same height, neither are all makes of rings, whether highs or lows.

I'd pass on the DeadNutz myself.

With an average height 20moa rail, I doubt you would need high rings.

Here is a 50mm with Burris Xtreme mediums and 20moa rail on a 700. Perfect.

101_0395.jpg

For a cheekpiece, I've a couple of Karstens. For around $60 they work pretty well:

0332.jpg

Back