High end Bino questions???????

I have Leica ultravid 8x42 and am very happy with them. I looked at Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica. Before looking through any of them, I had a preference for Swarovski. Few friends had them and were happy, and excellent reputation. After handling each, I picked the Leica. Optical quality was excellent in all of them, but my eyes preferred the Leica. Couple that with the Leica was the most compact (important for bowhunting), easy decision.

One thing I would recommend is checking the warranty. I bought my glass several years ago, but factory warranty was significantly less on electronics in the optics vs the optics themselves.

For the money, I would make the same decision tomorrow, Leica ultravid 8x42 and separate rangefinder. If money was no object (nice thought, huh) I would have ultravid 8x32 for bowhunting and either 10x40 Zeiss or Leica range finding bins for out west.

Good luck!

I checked out both the Leica ultravids, and the Swarovski el's alot before my purchase. Both are exceptional binoculars. You can't go wrong with either. I ended up with 10x42 Swarovision binocs, more of a right place at the right time situation. I LOVE them. I will say though, I would have been very happy with the Leicas. I have a small pair of Zeiss victory 10x25 binoculars, and for as small as they are, are better than some of my friends full size binocs. I guess I am saying in the long way.... You almost can't go wrong with any of the high end Euro glass. It is an investment you will always be grateful for when in the field.

bought my 8.5 x 42 el's in 2002, love the glass, fit in my hands real well, couldnt be happier with these glasses. One other option if you are looking at rangefinding binocs is the new EL Range, same body as the original EL and claimed lighter than the competition, initial reviews look good although they don't range below 33 yards. I will caution you though ....they are crazy expensive! Good luck

I did the "buy once,cry once" thing about six yrs ago, I bought 10-42 swaro ELs from the Outdoorsman in Phx Az. they have a huge selection of all the big brands to look through and also have a mountain just down the road to look at stuff on. Also I was able to compare The ELs and SLCs with a pair of Leicas in the forest all the same power, for MY eyes the ELS were by far the best so that is what i bought., I would also like to get a pair of 8.5s for my daughter to use, and mabey she would let me look also. But the best info i could give YOU is to go look and FEEL to see what fits YOU the best, after reading all the post on this topic there has been some great info for you to make a awesome purchase for your future, good luck and have fun seeing stuff that you have NEVER seen before thx to GREAT glass. iIm a brand new fan of GLASSING lots more ...DWANE

Back