Homemade tanning/fur-treating methods?

Is alum very expensive. I buy Indian tan kits from Gander Mountain for around 7.99. Just the tanning solution but salt's cheap. You'll have fun breaking the hide. My fur buyer can get coyote professionally done for 30.00.

Go to the store and get a box of twenty mule team borax clothes soap after you flesh the hide rub the borax on and it will preserve it.

GET THE KROWTANN 2000 FROM A TAXIDERMY MAG. its about $20-$25 no salting or none of that stuff. skin it, rouph flesh it. soak it in the krowtann 2000 for how ever long it says. take it out and get the remaining membrain and stuff off then when it is about 90% dryed out stick it in the dryer and let it fluff on NO heat tell it is completly drie. should make the flesh side white as snow and should be a soft hide. 1 bottle does 2 or 3 deer hides i think. so it should last a while. it comes with the instructions.
good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
im surprised how much salt you have to use with it.. the salt could get pricey

get fine grain non iodized salt at a feed store. $6-7 for 50lbs. store it in a 5 gal bucket with a tight fiting lid to keep it dry. it will absorb moisture from the air if you dont.

Quote:
Quote:
im surprised how much salt you have to use with it.. the salt could get pricey

get fine grain non iodized salt at a feed store. $6-7 for 50lbs. store it in a 5 gal bucket with a tight fiting lid to keep it dry. it will absorb moisture from the air if you dont.

nice tip.. thanks

Back