Housecat "Sniper" Sought in New Mexico

Agreed CR, and add the fact that the newspaper article could quite possibly and probably is overstating the facts. If they hope to retrieve a bullet they must be smokin something. If it came from a rifle or pistol someone would have heard the shot. As well, most likely a pass through would have occurred leaving no evidence. We see every day reporters slanting stories, but yet here many are taking the bait. If there ever is a report made and/or published, we will find it indeed came from a pellet gun.

I do know, IME, that a .22 cal. CB cap fired thru a 24" barrel is quieter than a 1000 fps .177 cal. thru a pellet rifle.
Just saying........... ;-)

More liberal press "Spin" to a more than likely simple end to cat that was causing a nieghbor a problem.

First, if the x-ray revealed the "bullet" still in the animal, it was more than likely a "pellet" from and airgun....

Second, just because the person HIT the target, does that make him a "Sniper"? I think not. A sniper is a professionally trained member of the military or LEO field.

Third, was it really a "felony" because it was a cat? Now if you kill a rabbit, prarie dog, or a squirrel is it cruel? Doesn't that make shooting ANY animal cruel?

Pure liberal hype generated by animal rights activists and furthered by the liberal press.

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte I do know, IME, that a .22 cal. CB cap fired thru a 24" barrel is quieter than a 1000 fps .177 cal. thru a pellet rifle.
Just saying........... ;-) May have to give that a try for specific applications.

Speaking of cats. Yr ago when I trapped, I caught quite afew "free range cats" in footholds. Some wearing collars, some w/o. Threw my coat over most & set them free. One cat however did not cooperate & wanted to rip me a knew one. He did not fare so well.

People that care about their pets. Should keep them on their property. End of sentence.

No bait taking here. The reporter writes articles to sell papers and tries to sensationalize it with words like sniper. That is what reporters do. If someone doesn't understand that then are not thinking for themselves.

My point is this...

If Joe Smith got fed up and finally popped the [beeep] with his Crossman 760, as it was ripping up his garbage for the 12th time, or peeing on his pepper garden, then I don't have a lot of sympathy for the cat, or the people that apparently decided to adopt it and let it roam. If Joe Smith shot it with his .22 while it sat on his neighbors porch, then I think that Joe is reckless and should be arrested. If that is the case and it were my cat, I would want to add a busted nose to go along with his criminal charges. There is a very real possibilty of injuring, or killing someone when you do things like that. Does anyone disagree with that?

My ire with this is becasue it appears that we automatically make assumptions and dismiss things like this because the presentation came from the media and it involes a cat, that alot of people dislike for some reason. I perosnally like cats just fine. I also like coyotes, fox, deer, turkey and various small game, but I still kill them when I want to eat em, use their fur, or they are being destructive. The point of concern is not the cat, but how and where it may have met it's demise. There are not alot of facts presented in the article and we know none of the details. If it is how it appears to be, based on the information that we have been provided, then it is not a laughing matter. If it got popped by a pellet while roaming and destroying property and made it home before it died, then the trigger man needs to work on his shot placement.

As gun owners and hunters we should be condemming this act, if it is how it appears. If we laugh and make jokes about it we are just giving them more ammo to use against us and appear that we condone reckless acts with firearms and then all of us are the same.

Originally Posted By: steve154As gun owners and hunters we should be condemming this act, if it is how it appears. If we laugh and make jokes about it we are just giving them more ammo to use against us and appear that we condone reckless acts with firearms and then all of us are the same.

I'm going to quote myself AGAIN because there are obviously some reading comprehension issues that need to be addressed in relation to my original post:

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor As the OP and based on some of the responses, I'd like to restate the humor that I found in the story was not related to:

a) the illegal discharge of a firearm
b) unsafe use of a firearm in a populated area
c) killing a domesticated animal.

My interest and humor was due to the fact that said illegal cat shooter was classified a "sniper" by editor of the article. Sheesh.

Here, Steve. I'll throw you and all of the anti's that read Crimson Raptor's posts on The Church of the Painful Truth Forum a bone: As a hunter and sportsman, I hereby condemn the unwarranted and likely illegal shooting of a domestic animal within the city limits where the discharge of firearms is restricted.

Take 2 cold ones and spend some time in a comedy venue and call me in the morning. You may find yourself less tense.

P.S. I love cats, too - I just can't finish one by myself.........

1 cat and the shooters a "sniper" !
Jezz what in the heck would that make me for all the Mmmmm...stuff I've killed. Yes some for hire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kirbySpeaking of cats. Yr ago when I trapped, I caught quite afew "free range cats" in footholds. Some wearing collars, some w/o. Threw my coat over most & set them free. One cat however did not cooperate & wanted to rip me a knew one. He did not fare so well.

People that care about their pets. Should keep them on their property. End of sentence.

We had lots of cat wondering the wilds back when I was younger. I to caught some in traps while traping other stuff. Heck I caught my sisters cat in a 110 coniber, she was pissed. I did offer to skin it for her ! She got more mad for some reason.
laugh.gif

I have never liked cats, never will. Only reason I released the ones I caught. Was I thought maybe they belonged to some young farm kid. Chapped my carcass catching them. I caught 1-dog as well.

Irresponsible pet owners. GRRRrrr

I happen to like cats very much, when I go to someone's house. I don't have one, but feral cats... When you pull back a boat cover after winter and are ready to charge the batteries, clean up the trash, and wash it out......And find a the remains of a rabbit that has stuck to the bottom of the boat....That's when I don't like cats haha.

Sorry, you gotta do better than that, CR. The only reading comprehension issues are the ones that I pointed out. Don't get upset. You are the one that quoted imaginary government officials, not me.

Last edited:
Back