How many groundhogs for 2009 ?

Got 2 more today. One was at 150, headshot. The next was sitting on top of a dirt mound above a dump. I hit it on the first shot at 630 yards with my .243 AI, but he squirmed down the mound and into a bunch of wire and garbage so I couldn't retrieve him. There was a bunch of blood though. That is officially my longest shot ever now.

I have been able to score 13. The average is 3 a day. I have been using my Sako heavy barrel 243 and my Savage 7mm Mag HB. No really long shots in excess of 300 yds yet. There have been some great head shot though. I know the females are not out much so far. All that I have taken have been males. Keep trying to kill those coyotes there worse on groundhogs then obama is on guns. Hetzer

Good going, Corey!
I went last Saturday afternoon too....and never saw a hog! I must have been cooler on your side of the mountain. Keep stacking them up!

BRB and I went to a new place this afternoon. Only saw two, and I got a shot at one...makes #14 for the year.
BRB went earlier in the afternoon and shot a hog out of a tree! The male was 10' off the ground, out on a limb not 2" in diameter! That was his #8 for this year, and his first ever out of a tree!
F1

Not uncommon to see them up a tree. I do remember the first time I saw a treed ghog , took me by surprise.

The boy and I will hit the fields for good a week or two after first cutting.

Congrats to the early birds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

For some reason, when I was a kid, they would tree a lot around our house. We'd take them off of limbs and fence posts every year with our .22's. I haven't seen one tree for years. These rains have the grass growing like crazy. I'll probably slow down and try to get some practice in until they cut hay.

I'm up to nine for '09.
That's NOT counting the four fetus found inside one expecting mother.
This one fell to the revolver at about three feet. From the red line up is all he was willing to offer as a target.
Hog2009-018.jpg

Quote:
I finally got my stuff together and got out this Saturday.This is my Remington SPS varmint 243 shooting Nosler 70 gr. NBT's over IMR 4064. The barreled action was Duracoated Coyote Brown by jbprecision on here as well as the installation of a Badger Ordinance bolt knob and a Rifle Basix LV-1K trigger. The stock is Krylon camo by me.

Corey love the new look...May have to send mine to Jared...The bolt looks bad to the bone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I'm jealous.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I know the bolt knob and paint don't make it shoot any better, but it does make the trophy photo's a lot sweeter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I was going to do these mods eventually, they were the only ones that fit the budget this year, so I figured why not. No more rust problems either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Arcorey. Wow! nice hole in that hog.I use a 71 grain Berger in my Sako heavy barrel and seldom get a wound like that but when it does it's great. Very nice lookig rifle you have there. Keep up the good work. Hetzer

Added another 7 to the pile, so that puts me up to 13 as of yesterday. 3 at 470 with the .243 AI, just little baby ones. We couldn't figure out why we were missing so much, but the things were tiny. 2 at 200, .243 AI, 1 at 70 yards with a .17 Mach2. And my final shot was with my very last bullet, at 574 yards, first shot. That wasn't the longest shot though. My buddy knocked one off of a rock at 611 yards on the 4th shot with his .25-06 AI.

After all the rain we've had for the past two weeks, and grass up to your___, well you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Blueridge boy and I went to a brand new spot this evening. The place may just turn out to be hog heaven. The only trouble with the place is being absolutely certain your shots are safe. Between traffic, houses, and golfers, we had to pass up more shots than we took, but it was worth it:
GOLFHOGS.jpg

These are what we picked up and counted in our yearly tally.
Three each makes 17 for me and 11 for BRB. and we left plenty for next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif We've barely scratched the surface, and have the place to ourselves.
F1

We went back to the same field this evening and there were groundhogs out all over the place when we pulled into the field. They were a little more skittish this evening and most ran for their holes when they saw the truck, but they soon started popping up, and we started popping them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
No pics this evening... too graphic! We only killed one adult, and five prairie dog size juveniles. They kinda exploded like pd's too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Totals: me...21
BRB,,13
and still plenty left!
F1

Nice goin' Fly! Sounds like you've got a bead on 'em...
I was up this weekend, but the fields are already shin high. Plenty too much cover to hide them chucks...

I did just book airfare out west for a prairie dog odyssey in Wyoming at the end of the month. It will be my first time shootin' prairie dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I can't wait to see all those furry little poodles to paddle...

If it's anything like I've seen on some videos, I'll be in sensory overload due to target abundance for the first few minutes. You know how chuck huntin' is. Get a couple in a day and you're on cloud 9. Hope 800 rounds of ammo will cover my needs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred,
How long are you going for? If you get into some heavy concentrations of pd's, that 800 rounds might only last a couple days at best! If you run out of ammo, that will only make it more memorable!
Good luck!
F1

Fred , I talked to a guy that goes every year with 4 other guys. They each take 3 rifles with 1000 rds for each gun. They setup off a town with 5 benches side by side. They fire 5 shots each in rotation with the person to their left spotting for them. When the 5 shooter rotation is up they start with rifle number 2 and so on. He said they had to do this to prevent cooking their rifles after the first years extravaganza. They toasted a 22-250 and a swift the first year. I've also been told a .22 or HMR is nice for the 100yds or less dummies that pop up and while the big guns are cooling. Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

It's a two day shoot guys. I'll try to be judicious with my shots. Not sure how well that will work out with two ARs w/30rd mags and p-dogs EVERYWHERE though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kerry invited me out and work allowed for it, so I'm PUMPED! I could only commit on short notice and I'm flying in, so my ammo/rifle baggage is limited...

Planning on having Kerry ship me back nothing but empty brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and he's bringing a couple rimfires for the close-in ones. IF I can find a good load for the new 20TAC this weekend, then I'll pump out as many as I can carry on the plane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'll be takin' some pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You fellas HOLD THE LINE on the chucks back here and I'll see if I can't hit a couple of those little pasture poodles... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
It's a two day shoot guys. I'll try to be judicious with my shots. Not sure how well that will work out with two ARs w/30rd mags and p-dogs EVERYWHERE though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kerry invited me out and work allowed for it, so I'm PUMPED! I could only commit on short notice and I'm flying in, so my ammo/rifle baggage is limited...

Planning on having Kerry ship me back nothing but empty brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and he's bringing a couple rimfires for the close-in ones. IF I can find a good load for the new 20TAC this weekend, then I'll pump out as many as I can carry on the plane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'll be takin' some pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You fellas HOLD THE LINE on the chucks back here and I'll see if I can't hit a couple of those little pasture poodles... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The count down is on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One week from today and we will be "pounding poodles" That new tac 20 will get a workout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif If the weather holds out for us it should be a great time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Fred,
Load ammo quick and ship it to Kerry! You won't have to worry about ammo limitations from the airline that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif More boolits= more pd's!
F1

Back