How To Black Out Gold Logos on Nikon Monarch Scope

Funny how you bring this up at this time. I was out the other day with my bolt gun (Hawkeye in 223 with a Nikon scope) and notice a spot a few feet away from me on the ground. I moved my gun a little bit and the spot moved. Finally narrowed it down to the Gold colored Buck on the side cover on the scope. Before I take this rifle out to call again, it will have either paint or magic marker over the gold color.

Several years ago a buddy and I were hunting in the sand hills of West Texas. He was using an old sporterized Mauser that has been cut down and a front blade brazed back on. The rifle had originally belonged to his grandfather and he likes to carry it around every now and again for nostalgic reasons.

Anyway, we split up and went opposite directions with a predetermined meeting place for that afternoon. I made it back early and was waiting around for him to show up.

He was easy to spot because with that rifle slung over his back and the muzzle in the air the little bit of brazing on his front sight was catching the sun just right and I could see it from a half mile away as he walked up and down the sand hills. It looked like one of those mirror “emergency” signals from a distance.

Ever since then I try to darken all the shiny stuff on my hunting guns. In some terrains it doesn't matter; you just never know when you'll end up somewhere that it might.

Back