HTRN field trial review of the FLIR Thermosight Pro PTS233

HTRN57

Members,

Check out our field review of the 12 micron BOSON FLIR Thermosight Pro PTS233 on YouTube via the following link:

This is a dual purpose unit that can be used as both a riflescope or a monocular. As a monocular it is very light weight and compact (especially if you remove the quick detach mounting system) with onboard video or still shot capability. There are also plenty of other built in features that you can check out on our website by clicking on the banner or product link below. Best of all, this unit is built right here in the USA and comes with a great 10 year Microbolometer warranty from FLIR. We have only a few of these remaining in stock so get your order in quickly if you have been searching for the "best bang for the buck" thermal riflescope or monocular.

FLIR Thermosight Pro PTS233 - http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/product-p/nvtd3000.htm

Thanks for watching, Kevin

Thanks for reviewing a unit I actually have a chance of being able to afford. Looked fully capable @ 200y which is far as I'd probably feel comfortable shooting at night anyways.

Originally Posted By: Dyote'Thanks for reviewing a unit I actually have a chance of being able to afford. Looked fully capable @ 200y which is far as I'd probably feel comfortable shooting at night anyways.

Amen to that, it works quite well out past that distance, but as you mentioned, 98% of night hunts occur within its lethal range.

Very good review, Kevin.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

(1) Can you choose any combination of reticle colors with the pallets? In other words, can you have a white reticle in black hot so the crosshairs won't fade out if they are black against a black target?

(2) Does the reticle stay centered in the view when adjusted?

As always, I enjoy your detailed reviews. Thanks.

Good review and thanks... I'll get mine soon...
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06 Very good review, Kevin.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

(1) Can you choose any combination of reticle colors with the pallets? In other words, can you have a white reticle in black hot so the crosshairs won't fade out if they are black against a black target?

(2) Does the reticle stay centered in the view when adjusted?

As always, I enjoy your detailed reviews. Thanks.

(1) - Yes, you always have the ability to change reticle colors in all color pallets (Red, White, Black, Blue)
(2) - I assume you mean will the cross hairs always stay absolutely centered within the display once you change the windage or elevation settings beyond -0- for each? In that case, I would have to say no. If you pay close attention to the demonstrated small changes I made to the boresight settings while in the menu, you can see the cross hairs move beyond absolute center. If I am interpreting your question wrong, let me know.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Yes, you interpreted my questions correctly. Appreciate your response.

With regards to the second question about the crosshair remaining centered, and since it doesn't, that leads me to be curious about the other thermal scopes (Pulsar and others) if the same issue exists with them. The reason I am curious is that the digital Photon I have is notorious for not remaining centered in the view when adjusted for windsge and elevation. That scope has to be manipulated with adjustable rings or a certain MOA rail to bring it near center. Maybe the thermal scopes aren't as critical with that as the Photon is.

Just trying to learn. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Thanks Kevin. Yes, you interpreted my questions correctly. Appreciate your response.

With regards to the second question about the crosshair remaining centered, and since it doesn't, that leads me to be curious about the other thermal scopes (Pulsar and others) if the same issue exists with them. The reason I am curious is that the digital Photon I have is notorious for not remaining centered in the view when adjusted for windsge and elevation. That scope has to be manipulated with adjustable rings or a certain MOA rail to bring it near center. Maybe the thermal scopes aren't as critical with that as the Photon is.

Just trying to learn. Thanks.

6mm06,
As far as I know (from the various dedicated NV scopes to the thermals that I've looked through), they all move the reticle within the display field in order to adjust the windage and elevation. If someone is aware of a brand that doesn't do this let me know. Therefore, any major adjustments will move the reticle well beyond perfect center and would probably be noticeable. The only way that I know of to keep it centered is to use shims under or to the side of the rail mount, or as you indicated, a rail extender or something similar. I assume the issue with the Photon is that it just doesn't have enough windage/elevation adjustment range for some firearms. In the Flir Thermosight PTS233 field review, you can see that my AR-15 bore-sighted out at -16 windage and +19 elevation. The cross hairs still look fairly well centered within the field demonstration at those settings. Again, if other members have different experiences with other models please feel free to offer your expertise. Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Yes, it is pretty well centered in your video. I guess some scopes are more problematic than others. If I interpret correctly, all dedicated NV scopes may have this issue. I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for all the good discussion that further helps educate us.

Kevin - Thanks for the video, it was very helpful to see the different ranges at different magnification on the dog... I had dismissed this thermal, but now I am not so sure. I have an HTRN MX160 if I need help identifying an animal that hangs up in the open, but do you guys think this scope would work well enough for the occasional 120 yard shot on a fox?

Watching the video I would think yes, but I don’t have much experience with thermal scopes - any advice would be appreciated

Noniesleman, I have a RS 35 as well. It is away at Flir right now being repaired. I am not happy about that whole ordeal but that is another story. I was thinking about getting one of these new scopes. Is it really better than the RS 35s that we have? Can you identify and shoot at the distances that we can? Thanks for any help.

Yes it's better in every way. I like the lower magnification the best. But at distance it's a little more clear than the RS32. And less than half the price
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanYes it's better in every way. I like the lower magnification the best. But at distance it's a little more clear than the RS32. And less than half the price
smile.gif

How close can you use the scope with good clarity / focus?

Originally Posted By: outdoorsjoe222Kevin - Thanks for the video, it was very helpful to see the different ranges at different magnification on the dog... I had dismissed this thermal, but now I am not so sure. I have an HTRN MX160 if I need help identifying an animal that hangs up in the open, but do you guys think this scope would work well enough for the occasional 120 yard shot on a fox?

Watching the video I would think yes, but I don’t have much experience with thermal scopes - any advice would be appreciated

Based upon my limited experience with the unit so far, I would conclude that you could shoot a fox at 120 yards with it. Since they are significantly smaller than a coyote, you may want to zoom it to 2x for the shot but could probably do it at 1.5x too. Kevin

Back