I Don't Have A Bore Sight!

shooterrick

My scope should be here soon. I do not have a bore sight at this time and wondered what is my next best solution if I don't buy one right away.

if it is a bolt gun pull the bolt out. put in in a rest like a lead sled. set a target out at 50 yards or so. look down the barrel and adjust the gun until it is on the bullseye at 50 yards. then look through your scope and adjust til its on. then fire a round and it should be really close.

If it is a bolt gun, bag it, pick a small object at a distance and sight down bore and dial scope to match. I do it all the time and it'll put you on paper at 50yds no problem. I do it with my inline muzzleloaders too. I type too slow
lol.gif

Last edited:
Take your first shot at 10 yards, dial exactly on left/right and about 2" low. (use 10 X clicks you would at 100)

Go to 25 and zero it.

You should now be zero'ed at about 200 yards (for an AR).

That's how I do every one, it's quicker than a bore sighter, and I've never failed to be on paper the first shot at 10 yards.

It just looks goofy starting that close.

You could even use a cheap laser pointer, hold it on the barrel, center on the target using some sort of rest. Should work out to 50 yds so that your hitting paper at 100.

Pull the bolt and bore sight the rifle like it should be done. Look down the bore and center on the bull....adjust the scope to bring the reticle dead-center and you're done.

All of the above tips work MUCH better than a bore sighter. Hear way too many folks have the place they bought their gun "bore sight" it, and go hunting without firing the gun! They usually find out later they are feet off center, not inches.

I agree use the methods above. A bore sighter does not work as well as these methods. I am more cheap than the above guys. I sight my Rifle either AR or bolt at an object at least a 100 or more yards. I look down the barrel and put the object in the center of the barrel. My Partner looks through the scope and dials it in with no shots fired. This will get you on a piece of Notebook paper at a 100. Please note the dials on the scope work backwards using this method.

Most actual 'bore sights' will not work with ARs, due the the amount of distance between the sight plane and the center of the bore...A scope on a flat top AR usually puts the scope down too low for comfortable shooting..

Sighting through the barrel bore at a distant object will get you on paper, 95% of the time and then it's a matter of zeroing the scope in about five shots, if you are familiar with your scope knob increments and the actual distance from the target...

I agree with others. There have been scopes around a whole lot longer than there have been bore sights around. I do it at night by pulling the bolt, setting the rifle in a gun vise and adjusting to a distant street light. Gets me close enough to hit paper.

Bore sighters have been a waste of time (and money) in my experience.

Try the looking through the barrel thing, get it close. Sight in from there. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: skb2706I agree with others. There have been scopes around a whole lot longer than there have been bore sights around. I do it at night by pulling the bolt, setting the rifle in a gun vise and adjusting to a distant street light. Gets me close enough to hit paper.

I use the same process in the day. I use the vent pipes on the roof of the apartments across the street. They are 100 yds away. I can usually get it within a couple inches of the bullseye at 100 yds.

Originally Posted By: daddyflea I look down the barrel and put the object in the center of the barrel. My Partner looks through the scope and dials it in with no shots fired. This will get you on a piece of Notebook paper at a 100. Please note the dials on the scope work backwards using this method.

I "bore sighted" a scope at the range yesterday at 110 yards. My first shot was 5 clicks left and 3 clicks below my point of aim. That's the closest I've ever been on the first shot, but I'm on notebook paper 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: daddyflea I look down the barrel and put the object in the center of the barrel. My Partner looks through the scope and dials it in with no shots fired

At the same time?

I've boresighted and shot literally HUNDREDS of rifles. If the scope is mounted correctly you should be on paper @ 100yds the vast majority of the time.

For those that believe the boresighter method is not both faster and more precise, I think you are dreaming........

im with 2muchgun,

ill mount the scope, go to 25 yards and shoot at a good size target like a piece of construction paper or posterboard. i have never been off by more than a few inches, adjust fire (remember @ 25 yards with a 1/4 in per click at 100, each click is only moveing the point of impact 1/32 of an inch or something like that so you will have to really trun the dial so to speak)

then check to see where you are at at 25 yards, adjust fire agian if needed.

go to 100 yards and check, adjust to whatever hold over you want if any.

then i always go back up and check to see what point of impact i have at 50 and 25 yards. then i write this down and keep it in the case. that way if i think that my zero is off i can check real quick at 25 or 50 yards to see if im off at a shorter distance to make sure (sometimes its easier to pace off or even find a place to shoot that distance in a pinch)

one thing to keep in mind is: even that you have zeroed at 100, shoot your rifle at every distance that you would possible engauge your target at. i do it in 50 yard jogs. that way you will know your Point of impact at those distance's. plus it will give you confadance in yourself when the time comes to make the shot, you will know that you can hit your target instead of "i think i can shoot that far"

BRIZ

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI've boresighted and shot literally HUNDREDS of rifles. If the scope is mounted correctly you should be on paper @ 100yds the vast majority of the time.

For those that believe the boresighter method is not both faster and more precise, I think you are dreaming........

I'll be sighted in before you have the boresighter put back in the case.

You can boresight at home, though, and some places don't have a 10 yard high-power position, so that may not be an option.

There's nothing "slow" about my suggestion, though. Unless you can't do the correction math in your head, like my buddy.
blink.gif

Back