I Know, You Get What You Pay For But.......

Well, I'll go the "good deal" route - at least for now. For your intended purpose and for the price, it's hard to argue with. If you're like me, sometimes you just want to try something different. I'm like some others, however. I believe that thing will stomp you due to it's design and caliber.

I too have several top-rate rifles with good scopes, real shooters. Yet, I purchased an H&R Handy Rifle a few years back, .223 stainless synthetic, slightly over $200. It's a good little rifle, shoots generally less than 1" groups. It caught my interest and I could afford it, and more importantly, I wanted it. I've taken a few turkeys with it. I like it - for what it is and don't expect it to shoot the same tight groups as my Sendero 6mm06 does, or my Shilen barreled 700 .22-250.

Over the years, I have purchased a few rifles that were much more expensive, top brand rifles that would not shoot regardless of what I did. One particular rifle found a new home after I exhausted every effort to make it shoot - without a rebarrel. I tried various powders, bullets, primers, changed scopes, changed stocks, glass bedded the action, free foated the barrel, and sent it back to the factory to be recrowned. It still would not shoot and found a new home.

The moral of the story is that even high-priced rifles don't always shoot as they should, and I have seen some cheaper ones such as my Stevens 200, shoot darn well.

For me at least, it all boils down to what you consider a good deal. For me at least, given your intended purpose and thought, it's a good deal unless it's pure junk. Then it becomes an expensive paper weight. Once you shoot the rifle at the range, then you will know if it was a good deal or not. If it doesn't shoot well, or falls apart on you, then you aren't out much for your effort - unless you are physically hurt in the deal. Chalk it up to trial and error and move on to the Remington 700 as you mentioned.

You may, however, find that it suits you just fine. Time will tell. Keep us all posted, by the way.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeI don't have any $5K bolt guns but I do have som 2k bolt guns (not sure how you can even have $5K in a custom made bolt gun). Still, I can appreciate a bargin. I also have winchester & marlin 30/30's, strait factory 700's & M12's & for some reason I do want a savage edge (I know I'm going to step into one cheap someday soon). Some are just "neat" guns & sometimes it's easier to carry around a $400 gun in your truck than one you would miss more if somebody broke into it while you were inside.

I still don't think I would buy one of these fifles's!!!

Go price a Jarrett. There are quite a few options for custom bolt guns in the 5-10k range.

Back