I sure was wrong...

sometimes it can be a lot of fun to be wrong
wink.gif

Dave you didn't say what caliber AR your shooting ?

Reading your posts over the years you've had a lot of non standard types so I would expect the same in an AR.

Tell us what you're shooting.

Just a .223.

Not feeling any desire to form/prep wildcat brass just to fling it away into the sage brush! Nor any desire to encumber the rifle with any kind of junk, like a brass catcher.

For me, for now, .223 is the only thing that makes any sense at all in the AR!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAJust a .223.

Not feeling any desire to form/prep wildcat brass just to fling it away into the sage brush! Nor any desire to encumber the rifle with any kind of junk, like a brass catcher.

For me, for now, .223 is the only thing that makes any sense at all in the AR!

- DAA

You were wrong once before. Lol
tt2.gif

Get a brass catcher like reb makes and they are not in the way. I have a very similar one from a guy that is no longer around here.

Somehow I think a bag with 20 pieces of brass in it hanging off the side would not thrill me.

laugh.gif

- DAA

The idea is you empty the brass catcher every few shots. I bought a $12 brass catcher from reb, it weighs maybe 1 ounce. Pretty simple, better than the Caldwell versions that velcro to the forearm or clip onto the rail.

Yep this ^^^. Mine will hold 12 or 15 pcs but it gets emptied out every 10rd mag if not every couple shots. Doesn't even need to be taken off just tipped upside down.

I had the big caldwell at first and your thoughts are not wrong about those. Too big, in the way etc.

Last edited:
Well... Never say never. I'll just reserve the right to change my mind for now. But stopping to empty it that frequently doesn't sound like a thrill either. Been doing some pretty fast high volume shooting with it so far. The Jacks have been coming in waves.

- DAA

with the cost of 223 ammo right now i would not bother catching it and wouldnt waste a second looking for it after it gets thrown out of an ar.

about 3 or 4 yeas ago i didnt feel this way though. lol

I tend to use my ARs more for varmint hunting than my bolt-actions. Especially while ground squirrel and prairie dog hunting! If I'm ever down your way, I'm going to put one of my 17WSM ARs in your hand to use for jacks. You'll love the zero recoil and being able to see all your hits!

Welcome to the club!
thumbup1.gif

give him time, The first stage of this addiction is shock. we already know [beeep] well he likes speed. I once said to him dude 150 fps extra isn't worth messing with, his response was umm it is to me!!!

^^ for sure. I'm just pulling his leg a bit. And as far as the brass catcher, no its prob not worth it for 223 in this market. I still use it since I have it but I'm saying wildcats are plenty viable when using a brass catcher and in my mind the Wildcats are what makes an ar15 appealing to me. Solid performance in a platform that is ergonomical, what's not to like.

Last edited:
Eric, that sounds fun.

And, yeah... If I ever get serious about using an AR very much for coyote hunting, obviously, I'll have to do something. The .223 is okay, but life is too short to settle for okay. So, like I said, I'll reserve the right to change my mind
laugh.gif

One thing about it though, it's just me, I know, but I'm never going to take another shot with an AR unsuppressed. So the brass comes out filthy. Vile, disgusting looking stuff. I don't even like to touch it. Would not let it touch any of my dies. To reload it, I'd have to dig out my tumbler I bought 20 years ago, used twice and never used again. I'd have to lube the dang cases and FL size them. All the horse crap I almost never have to do in hand loading and am dang glad I don't have to.

Reloading for this machine gun will take a lot of extra effort doing the parts of hand loading I mostly like to skip. Heck, if I was to load a case a few times, I might even have to TRIM them! I haven't trimmed any brass in a coons age.

What I have been doing so far, is I have a bucket of armory prepped once fired LC. Which, according to the note I found in the bucket, I primed them all in 2001 when I last owned a .223. As I recall I paid $300 for 5,000 of these way back when. I have many pounds of a couple different kind of powders just sitting here bought 20 years ago. I have thousands and thousands of .22 caliber bullets just sitting here bought for various rifles over the years but a lot of TNT's I bought on sale for like $50 a thousand and a lot of Vmax I bought for $75 a thousand. I have enough bullets on the shelf to actually wear out a .223 barrel I think.

So, I've just been grabbing up handfuls of primed cases, dumping powder in them and plugging bullets into them. It's like being free, since the stuff has just been sitting here mostly for almost 20 years. But I figure at the prices I paid, I'm into my ammo not more than about 20 cents a round.

Let the brass lay where it lands. Go home, grab a bunch more shiny like new brass and do it again. Using already primed cases, the Harrels and not weighing any charges, I can crank out a hundred rounds in minutes even with just a single stage.

Getting short on the already primed stuff. But do still have a couple thousand more of the armory prepped once fired LC and tens of thousands of primers on the shelf. One day soon, I'll have to prime another bucket full.

Oh, but, yeah, .223 ammo is cheap! I have never, in my life, until just the past few weeks, used store bought centerfire rifle ammo. Never. First centerfire rifle I bought at 12 years old, a .270, Dad gave me a press, dies and a coffee can full of 4831, I handloaded for it right out of the gate and never looked back. But, can get pretty decent .223 for pretty cheap. So I tried some. The RRA shoots Fiocchi 50 gr. Vmax really well, compared to the many hand loads I've tested, it ranks in the top five most accurate. Legitimate sub MOA for consecutive five shot groups. Clocks 3125 fps in my 18" barrel, not bad for cheap, accurate factory. Good bunny chunkage too. Wish I had some spare play money laying around to snag up a few thousand rounds of it for a rainy day.

- DAA

Quote:Reloading for this machine gun will take a lot of extra effort doing the parts of hand loading I mostly like to skip.

Not to worry, Dave, the extra time you spend reloading, you can save on shooting time.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Not to worry, Dave, the extra time you spend reloading, you can save on shooting time.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I think I must have this sickness being mentioned because that makes perfect sense to me
smile.gif

- DAA

I'm pretty sure I was the main guy Dave was talking about when he said " A guy shot an unreal amount of spinners and runners) Sorry Dave, I think I got it figured out now. Those of you who have hunted with Dave know he's hard to keep up with.
I'm happy about Daves new AR

Last edited:
Eric,
What barrel/upper did you use for your 17WSM? I was thinking of building one of these, what do I need to know to get one to run in an AR?
Thanks Lance

Well Dave, I have been fighting the AR thing for years. Seems like every one of my shooting buddies had one that they used at least occasionally. But for the most part they just never felt right to me. Big, awkward, clunky, and just flat didn't feel right. But lately I have got into shooting pigs at night. Basically pigs is like big jackrabbits. Lots of targets, fast action, moving shots. Plus you can add moving vehicles and getting in and out of them fast to the mix as well. Really a fella should not even really be thinking hunting, think population control on an invasive species costing farmers thousands of dollars a night during peanut planting season. A bolt gun just really doesn't work very well for that.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to just go ahead, bite the bullet and put together an AR the way I wanted one. I wanted light, fast, suppressed, and unencumbered by BS. I stayed with 5.56 because like you I wanted no part of the chasing brass BS, especially at night. 5.56 is cheap and available enough who cares if it just gets loaded once.

It seems to me most AR's have about twice as much crap on them as they need, and therefore I was determined to avoid that like the plague.

Since I was going to shoot a shorty suppressed I decided to go with an Adams piston upper, 14.5" with a pinned ASR brake for the Specwar 556K. I kept everything minimalistic and just went with a Burris Fastfire I already had on the shelf. I got the parts in, sprayed the cerakote myself, and put it together one morning last week.

It is light, and handles quick. Piston upper will run anything I throw at it without a hitch, even short and suppressed. It loves the 65 SGK with a max load of W748. So far it has been pretty much everything I wanted in an AR, and has been a hoot to shoot. I'm really glad I finally put one together.

FullSizeR by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Back