Indiana and our new regulations.

yotehunter243

Well I finally broke down and got a 450 Bushy built for deer hunting and then ran across a second one I traded for to give my dad. Well as luck would have it they passed a 4 year "trial" rifle season for deer. Now with this they limit us to private land only, 10 rounds of ammo with you and .243, 30-30, 308, 30-06 and .300. That's exactly How the language reads as of now. Now there are many variations of ".300" but I'm assuming 300 win mag. Out of those choices what would you get? It will be a Tikka rifle with a B&C stock most likely. I already have a 30-30. More then likely I'll carry my short handy bushy that Ritch is building but we do have large food plots with insulated shooting houses. So a bolt gun would be nice with shots to 400 easily. I know they will all do the job at that distance (except the 30-30) but it's fun to look at the different options and listen to everyones opinion.

Last edited:
I gotta tell ya, as a Indiana resident and deer hunter, this law if it goes forward as it's currently written, is the perfect example of what happens when politicians create laws.

I think/hope that the calibers are not limited to these specific ones, but right now, no one seems to know for sure.

I do know that a lot of people who spent a bunch of money on 35cal custom "super" rifles over the last 5 years, are going to be p*ssed.

But it is going to be interesting to see how many people now run out to buy rifles in these calibers that may only be useable for 4 years.

I'm assuming from your "handle" here on PM that you have a .243 so you are good to go. Poor me however I'm stuck with a 6MM Remington a 300RUM and a 25/06 that are evidently incapable of killing deer in Indiana.

If I was going to build a rifle just for this law I would build a 30/06, lots of capability and availability. If a short action is what you want,then a .308.

Yes, their advisory committee brought up a couple of reasons to not send it to the legislature last year.

One of those reasons was, they were concerned that if "high power" rifles were allowed that landowners who currently allowed hunting might close their land because of it. I could understand that concern, even if it doesn't really make sense. Seeing how we've been using "high power rifle" cartridges in pistols for several years and we haven't had "blood run in the streets." Plus, landowners can always restrict what weapons hunters use on their lands.

I think what has happened this time is that someone brought this straight to the legislature without coming through the DNR or it's advisory panel.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeCalibers allowed seems silly to me. Why not just say everything above 243?

Politicians,, "a logic vacuum !!"

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeCalibers allowed seems silly to me. Why not just say everything above 243?

AMEN BROTHER your preachin to the choir. I've argued it with everyone from game wardens to state reps and they just smile and say, "well there's a lot to be taken into consideration."

Again my biggest argument is, if I can use a 308 in a handgun why on Gods green earth can't I use it in a rifle.

Here are the current regulations for rifle.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.

That means 35 Remington is too long, but we take and trim the case approx. .100" and it's legal. Other guys have built customs off of WSM cases and necked them to 35 caliber.

Here are the handgun regs.

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.

As you can probably tell, this whole topic really gets me fired up, I am so sick and tired of the stupidity of politicians and bureaucrats trying to regulate things they have no knowledge of.

I'll shut up for now.

Last edited:
Wow, what a silly law. Even in CA we can harvest big game with any centerfire over almost all the state. Just a few places are shotgun only, but those are mostly in the desert in the southern part of the state.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8
Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.

this is almost identical to the (new) michigan "restricted zone" firearm deer rules. it gives quite a few good options for those who hunt in the restricted zone.

from the hunting guide

Quote:All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 12)
In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer
hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm
restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
• A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black
powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger
and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or
multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the
barrel and magazine combined.
• A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons on pg. 19.
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum
case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external
high-compression power source.

AMEN BIGEEN_08!

OP, do you prefer a short action or long action?
Personally speaking, Id go for the .243 or .308 and enjoy watching the the shot take place in the scope at 400yds.

That's good news! Just talked to my son in law and he said Channel 13 in Indy was interviewing people on this. Sure would like to use the 25-06 though. I guess I better tune up the 243 and the 308 and get ready.

It never did made sense me hunting coyotes with the 25-06 and then you couldn't shoot a deer.

Sounds like a law maker from the South Bend area got it to go through.

It's all about the money. I guess the crossbows being legal all season didn't help.
I haven't gun hunted deer for over 10 years, Might have to try for one with a high power.

this is almost identical to the (new) michigan "restricted zone" firearm deer rules. it gives quite a few good options for those who hunt in the restricted zone.

from the hunting guide

In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer
hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm
restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum

So since they limit you to straight wall, then they're basically saying pistol cartridges?

Originally Posted By: BOWLSEYE

It never did made sense me hunting coyotes with the 25-06 and then you couldn't shoot a deer.

that kind of rule doenst make sense in general - until such a time as you consider that the two weeks (ish) of firearm deer season is when all the FUDD's of the world dust off their guns, maybe make one trip to the range after picking up a random box of ammo to verify that their scope is even close, and then head out into the woods to be great white hunters for a week or so. the kind of guys who worry more about bringing enough beer to deer camp than if they can hit anything smaller than a 10" target.

that's why michigan used to have the rifle/shotgun zones that is now the unrestricted/restricted zones - but ONLY for firearm deer season.

its a pure safety thing to protect the general public from the idiots who - many of which - probably shouldn't have a gun in their hands in the first place as they're not even remotely proficient with it, or proficient in the safety considerations that come with shooting a caliber that can travel a thousand yards or more.

comparing the number of deer hunters vs the number of predator hunters and now the rule seems to make a lot more sense.

People are dumping their 458 socoms and 450 bushYs on facebook like crazy right now. This is only as of now a 4 year thing. Most years iv already killed my buck with my bow but do kill several does for family's that need the meat locally. There have been arguments and dang near fIst fights for the last 2 yeara over the rifles.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8

from the hunting guide

So since they limit you to straight wall, then they're basically saying pistol cartridges?

yes its limited to pistol caliber carbines.

I can understand the Elmer Fudd situation,but that exists whether your using a shotgun or a rifle, unfortunately stupid people are protected by our society.

But there are a number of states that are similar to Indiana in population and geography,that have managed to use rifles without blood running through the streets.

I really can't say that one way or another will effect my being able to get all the deer that I need.

I can't remember ever saying "man if would have had a HPR today I would have got a big one."

I guess I'm mostly wound up over idiots creating vague and difficult to enforce laws

Back