Input

quickcobra2003

I love this forum more than any of the others.

What kind of dog(s) would a guy look for if he needed.

Coon Dog
Fox
Coyote
Bobcat
Could run a blood trail (warm nose I guess)
Train not to chase deer
Work close
Rolled up in 1 package or 2 Max

Basically a buddy dog that will ride with me while I am playing in the country. Most land I hunt on is Brush, hot as heck in the summer. Rattlesnakes are not as prolific as they use to be but are a concern. There are snakeproffing clinics around. I am retired now and bored to death, have access to a lot of good hunting as well as my own place.

I would like to hear from you guys.

Robert

I'll help where I can:

Nightime Coon = Mt./Kemmer Cur or Feist, Natural tree dogs and handle very well.
Fox = Jagdterrier, 20 lbs of terror with a good nose that will fight above and below ground.
Coyote = ???? but I'd guess Leopard Cur for trail dogs. Almost any of the dogs on my list if your are wanting to use them for "decoy dogs".
Bobcat = ????? but I'm guessing I'd use a Mt./Kemmer/Leapard Cur or a Jagdterrier.
Blood trail = Jagdterrier
No deer = most dogs are pretty easy to break off.
Work Close = Mt./Kemmer/Black Mouth Cur and Feists

My Jagd is a great buddy dog but was a little hard to handle (no longer a problem and I don't need a lead on her now)

My Fiest handles great and never gets very far away unless on track. Even then he usually trees/bays within a couple hundred yards. I've never needed a leash for him.

Mt./Kemmer/Black Mouth Curs have more size and still handle well (generally). They'll handle coyotes better but they don't fit in places that varmints (coon, possum, ground hogs,etc.) den/hide. Smaller dogs do.

It's my understanding that Leopards hunt more like a hound (wider, colder nose, open on track) but handle better than todays hound breeds.

In short, if I had to pick ONE dog it would be a Mt./Kemmer Cur. Even as I say that I'd like to try a Black Mouth. No coyotes? The Jagdterrier and Fiest fit the bill nicely then, maybe better.

Chris

Thanks Guys. I have been thinking on this for a while and I had come to think a Cur would fit the bill. I have been looking at the different Cur breeders etc. on the web. The problem we have is a good one to have I guess, but if you put a dog out he could be on scent of all the above pretty quick. I do not walk as well as I used to and want one that will stay close while I am playing at ranching.

MikeGranger, I think Bubba is everyone’s idea of a good hunting Bud.

i run my redbone coonhounds on all of the above listed and also on bear. the handle very well and will hold or kill a yote when bayed. i think any dog in the coonhound group would work well for you. you have to remember that it`s all in the training on how well a hound handles.

I'd have to say a Mt. Cur also. They can be taught just about anything and generally handle well around the home.

You do have quite a few Lacy's down in your area. They are great all around dogs and easy to train. Might want to take a look at them also.

Tim

You asked, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.If you want an all around dog, the "Cur" breeds are what you have to look at. I run catahoullas and crosses,everyone one on this board knows my feeling.They work very well for me on any game,and are easy to handle.But the cur breeds include Black mouth,Mnt, Kemmer,Lacy and a few more. What all the curs have in common is a med to hot nose,and close range,easy to handle, and smart.I think you would do well with any "cur" for what you want.Bear in mind that Kc, made a good point any dog will work if trained right.Many dogs would be a good choice, but "Curs" are my personal preference.
If you need help findin a dog PM me, I'll see if I can help.

Back