Is a 223 Rem/40Vmax/3800 fps possible ?

Jesse Jaymes

I am inquiring if anyone has been able to achieve the above ?? I see that it is listed as possible in the Nosler #5 book, but am having a hard time believeing anything from their data lately.

I am not looking for a fight but "ran" your numbers. I think most would agree the 223's practical useage is 300 yards. I ran the numbers on the 40 BT at 3800 vs. a 55 BT at 3100.

The 40 grain bullets has the 55 grain bullet beat for wind deflection all the way to 400 yards, which is as far as I researched. I am sure you can argue "real world" vs a "computer model" but math is math.

Now, does anyone have a load that will actually push a 40 grain Ballistic Tip or Vmax to 3800 fps out of a 223 Remington ??

3800 fps is easy with a mollied 40 Nos in the .223. At least it is in my Hart barreled 40x. Actually can do better.

Out of my hornady book. AA 2460 27.8 gr. with a 40 gr v-max 3800 fps. I loaded some at 26.9 and they shoot good out of my AR.

Quote:
OLE...what accuracy do you get out of that bullet and speed???

Well, sub 1/2" groups and slightly over 4000 fps.

I'm shooting 40 grain combined technology ballistic tips with benchmark power shooting at 3850 fps out of my Bushmaster Varminter. Its a max loading i took out of Nosler's load book. It's shooting 5 shots all in one hole that you can cover up with a dime at 100 yards.

Steve,

I am sure you would be able to achieve 3800 fps as I am currently getting 3710 fps using 40g BT and 25.5gr Viht N133.
I am using a Rem 700VS 26" barrel.

There are no signs of pressure and it groups exceptionally well at 100 yards.

I use it as my fox load,the bullet very rarely exits and it has taken foxes at 260 yards.

I just finished another posting in the "223 range" thread about comparing a 55grain against a 3700 fps 40 grainer. Even though the 55 was slower it had more energy throughought the entire range. The ONLY thing the 40 grain had going for it was landing 2" higher at 300 yards. All the impact enegy values are lower at every range.

But you could probably get 3800 fps depending on how tight your chamber is and how long your barrel is. And if you could hotrod the 40 grain up there, then you could likely do the same with a 55 grain.

Unless your rifle just can't shoot anything heavier than a 40 grain, I really can't see why you would want to bother with it.

Ragncajn, I'm shooting benchmark at 28g with 40g combined technology balistic tips. This is a max loading i took out of nosler's book wich they state that it will shoot 3860 fps out of a 24" barrel.

Welcome to the board shooting bags.

3710 is a hot load for a .223. We have had good results with Benchmark in the .223 with 40gr bullets but have not seen 3800. Granted a custom barrel will give better velocities and a 27 1/4 inch barrel will perform. 3800 is hot for a normal rifle. I would be worried about shooting them all the time.

I guess I really should keep my mouth shut on this b/c I don't shoot any 40'ers.... but here goes nothing.

Man, I'd be worried on how long the barrel would last?? 3800 out of any .223 no matter what length and custom or not is a lot of fps. I'm with GUNUT I'll meet you halfway and I'll even bring the chrony. I'd really like to see it. I'm not saying it's not possible but seeing is believing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have just a plain old rem varmiter in 223 next time I'm at the range I'll chronograph some 40gr Bergers I got and see. I think your pushing to get 3800fps I'll also load some for my 223AI. Comparing some of my reloads to published velcoity I'm always alittle slower using the same powder etc as published.

Back